PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

9 hours ago, dp135 said:

Hello everyone. I try not to stay away from grad cafe but always find myself coming back. 

I was also rejected from Emory today.

Rejected: Emory, JHU

Accepted: UPitt (PhD Epidemiology) 

Waiting: UNC, Columbia, Harvard, Tulane

Still waiting on UNC and Harvard as well 

Rejected from Emory Epi yesterday, but today received an acceptance email from the University of Washington! Although they state students find their own funding so a bit nervous about that... may start asking around in the next few weeks.

Also received an email from the University of Minnesota saying I passed the first round, and they will attempt to match me to an advisor and funding.

13 hours ago, PHApplicant said:

I applied for the same program and did not receive emails for an interview either. Based on the statistics last few years, I assume they have sent out all emails last week.

I wish, knowing that acceptance is only extended to those who interview, that we would receive the official reject letters now. Looks like those don't come until mid-feb. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:25 PM, ASA15 said:

Rejected from Emory Epi yesterday, but today received an acceptance email from the University of Washigton! Although they state students find their own funding so a bit nervous about that... may start asking around in the next few weeks.

Also received an email from the University of Minnesota saying I passed the first round, and they will attempt to match me to an advisor and funding.

Congrats!!!

Same here! Rejection from Emory and acceptance from UW Seattle, a bit nervous about funding. 

Anyone concerned with hearing from programs, buckle up. 

While the waiting is, to quote the late Tom Petty, "the hardest part" it does indicate they haven't gotten to your file or you have not been immediately rejected. At least this applies to the high volume schools. I received my HSPH rejection first, then other schools began to follow. February contained my highest volume of notifications though, so be on the lookout then. 

Good luck!

5 hours ago, u/eponymous said:

Anyone concerned with hearing from programs, buckle up. 

While the waiting is, to quote the late Tom Petty, "the hardest part" it does indicate they haven't gotten to your file or you have not been immediately rejected. At least this applies to the high volume schools. I received my HSPH rejection first, then other schools began to follow. February contained my highest volume of notifications though, so be on the lookout then. 

Good luck!

I appreciate the perspective- I live in a constant state of expecting to hear news and that anxiety occupies the majority of my brainspace. Can't wait till I have an answer from all my schools, then at least I can start weighing pros and cons and making some decisions. 

6 hours ago, apex45 said:

Has everyone accepted to Pitt had an interview? I applied to BCHS and not Epi but I'm still getting a bit nervous.

I also applied to BCHS and have not heard anything other than a confirmation that my application was received by Pitt and sent to the department. I spoke to a POI and current student back in the fall, and both indicated that interviews typically take place in early-mid February. 

15 minutes ago, epi_hopeful19 said:

Nope not yet! Saw one post on the results page (an acceptance) but haven't heard or seen other updates (at least not for PhDs). Fingers crossed! 

No news either. The date of the one posted on result page was Jan 9, 2018. Not sure if the "2018" is a typo or that was actually for the last application season. 

1 minute ago, PHApplicant said:

No news either. The date of the one posted on result page was Jan 9, 2018. Not sure if the "2018" is a typo or that was actually for the last application season. 

Whew thanks for noticing that! Major (if potentially momentary/unfounded) relief ?

16 hours ago, PHApplicant said:

Hopefully this is the actual date! It seems like UNC typically reaches out to people at this point. I am starting to compulsively check Grad Cafe!

Welp, I think it's after 5 on a Friday in the time zones my schools are in. 

Would love to know whether people have heard from the following-- 

Harvard SBS

Yale SBS

Michigan HBHE

Idc if it's over PM, on the Results page, or here-- I'm dying for info. I've heard nothing.

I've been invited to Brown's interview day next week and heard from Minnesota that I've passed the first stage of the application. I've personally heard no news from Pittsburgh but that seems expected based on last years' timelines.

Just received an interview invitation from UCSF Global Health Sciences Ph.D. program. It's an online interview though, which is a bit disappointing. Would have loved to see the campus. Does anyone know if they normally invite students on campus? 

2 hours ago, kertu said:

Just received an interview invitation from UCSF Global Health Sciences Ph.D. program. It's an online interview though, which is a bit disappointing. Would have loved to see the campus. Does anyone know if they normally invite students on campus? 

Congrats!!! They gave me an option to attend interview day or Skype. 

2 minutes ago, Pubhealth101 said:

Congrats!!! They gave me an option to attend interview day or Skype. 

Hi! Congrats to you too!

Same program? Is it perhaps because you are located in California? Did they offer travel reimbursement? I'm in Boston so I don't know why I didn't get that option. Hmm...

5 minutes ago, kertu said:

Hi! Congrats to you too!

Same program? Is it perhaps because you are located in California? Did they offer travel reimbursement? I'm in Boston so I don't know why I didn't get that option. Hmm...

Same program. No, I'm not located in cali and they unfortunately didn't offer travel reimbursement.