PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

2 hours ago, epiapplicant2019 said:

Anyone know how Johns Hopkins (epi) review process works? I’ve been seeing acceptances, interviews and rejections trickling in on the results page but haven’t heard anything yet. So nerve wracking!

I got rejected via email from the epidemiology department. I think I maybe didn’t pass the screening they do for GREs. I would ask if your app is still under review.

On 1/29/2019 at 10:41 AM, apex45 said:

Ugh ok. I think I'm gonna assume I've been rejected then. 

I’m on the same boat- unless you had a perfect application I think it’s safe to assume that we won’t get a interview

From what I know you get a phone or Skype interview and then they invite students to information day /admitted students day in late February 

I believe only a few students get into the PHS program each year and every track may not accept a student 

6 minutes ago, Epidemiology19 said:

Anyone receive funding info from UNC (epi)? I received my acceptance letter from the graduate school, and it said that funding info would be coming directly from the school

Haven't heard anything from UNC yet. Radiosilence... 

51 minutes ago, E.COLI said:

Haven't heard anything from UNC yet. Radiosilence... 

It was a period of radio silence for me as well. My understanding is that they admit people by POI/research group, so I wouldn't stress about the different timelines of individuals' decisions. Best of luck!

Edited by Epidemiology19

1 hour ago, Epidemiology19 said:

Anyone receive funding info from UNC (epi)? I received my acceptance letter from the graduate school, and it said that funding info would be coming directly from the school

I received my acceptance letter today too! Same as you, funding remains to be determined.

11 hours ago, welp said:

Has anyone heard from?

1. boston university epidemiology phd
  2. george washington epidemiology phd
  3. new york university public health phd

Just tonight got an invite to interview day for NYU- looks like my invite is specifically for HPM, so I’m unsure if each department has their own interview day or what. Hope this helps!

21 hours ago, epiapplicant2019 said:

Anyone know how Johns Hopkins (epi) review process works? I’ve been seeing acceptances, interviews and rejections trickling in on the results page but haven’t heard anything yet. So nerve wracking!

So I was interviewed for PhD EPI yesterday by 2 potential POI (though I did not identify them in my application, their research interests sort of matching with mine). The invitation was sent out about 2 weeks ago. 

The interviewers mentioned that the final decision will be announced in mid-Feb, and there will be accepted student day in March or so. They also mentioned that they have received an overwhelmingly large number of applications this year (as usual), and they only interview selective number. 

Their interview questions are more about the preparation of PhD training in general, rather than specific research experience or plan. 

And no news does not mean rejection at all!

Edited by YoYToT

On 1/30/2019 at 6:03 PM, Nairel said:

Hi everyone!

Has anyone heard back from Columbia PhD - Sociomedical Sciences or NYU PhD Social and Behavioral Sciences?

*tons of anxiety over here* 

PD: Congrats on your interviews and acceptances. 

I got an email last night for an interview with NYU's SBS program (Feb 15th)

1 hour ago, cheesefries said:

I got an email last night for an interview with NYU's SBS program (Feb 15th)

oh wow! congrats! Okay, will not panic. *actually panics* 

On 1/24/2019 at 1:31 AM, health policy said:

@HSR_PHD Congrats on your interviews! When did you hear from Hopkins and BU for an interview request? I'm waiting to hear from them too... Do you know if they reject on a rolling basis or if they do a mass email for rejections? 

I also would like to know this, especially about JHU. I heard people having already received interview invitations or rejections, but I haven't heard anything from JHU since I submitted my application.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:12 AM, epiapplicant2019 said:

I am also eager to know! 

Harvard PHS (SBS): haven't heard anything. I know they've already conducted interviews, but also have sent some rejection letters too, so probably middle of pile. Not Optimistic.

Columbia SMS: Got my email today for an interview next week for the Predoctoral Fellowship in Gender, Sexuality, & Health. No idea if they interview all candidates, or only those who specified fellowships.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:38 AM, YoYToT said:

So I was interviewed for PhD EPI yesterday by 2 potential POI (though I did not identify them in my application, their research interests sort of matching with mine). The invitation was sent out about 2 weeks ago. 

The interviewers mentioned that the final decision will be announced in mid-Feb, and there will be accepted student day in March or so. They also mentioned that they have received an overwhelmingly large number of applications this year (as usual), and they only interview selective number. 

Their interview questions are more about the preparation of PhD training in general, rather than specific research experience or plan. 

And no news does not mean rejection at all!

Thanks for sharing! What do you mean by questions more about preparation Ph.D. training in general? Can you cite an example? Thanks!

7 hours ago, AngusBangus said:

Harvard PHS (SBS): haven't heard anything. I know they've already conducted interviews, but also have sent some rejection letters too, so probably middle of pile. Not Optimistic.

Columbia SMS: Got my email today for an interview next week for the Predoctoral Fellowship in Gender, Sexuality, & Health. No idea if they interview all candidates, or only those who specified fellowships.

How do you know about the interviews/rejections, did you call? I had 1 informal interview before submitting my application but no word since. 

1 hour ago, gloriazeng86 said:

Thanks for sharing! What do you mean by questions more about preparation Ph.D. training in general? Can you cite an example? Thanks!

They asked about the ability to multitask, meet deadline, collaborate with others...things like that.

I could not remember too much, I was mostly blacked out during the interview, hahaha...

2 hours ago, apex45 said:

Anyone hear anything from Pittsburgh BCHS? There's one rejection on the results page but nothing else.

If there's only one rejection on the results page, it must be mine ?