I got to visit Dallas for a few days last week to apartment hunt and I absolutely fell in love with the city and the people, which I wasn’t really expecting. Then I found out the day after I got home that I got my dream apartment in my dream neighborhood. I’m over the moon right now and it just makes the amazement and gratitude I feel about grad school that much bigger and better. I’m so happy right now.

4 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Then I found out the day after I got home that I got my dream apartment in my dream neighborhood.

YES! CONGRATULATIONS! This is very well deserved!

9 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

I got to visit Dallas for a few days last week to apartment hunt and I absolutely fell in love with the city and the people, which I wasn’t really expecting. Then I found out the day after I got home that I got my dream apartment in my dream neighborhood. I’m over the moon right now and it just makes the amazement and gratitude I feel about grad school that much bigger and better. I’m so happy right now.

YES! Reading this put such a big smile on my face. You deserve this so much! And what a good energy to kick off your experience with. We’re all rooting for you here!

My department has added 3 new courses in the vicinity of my area but I have been told by another grad student that I am unlikely to be allowed to audit an additional course. Still no idea what to do.

13 hours ago, WildeThing said:

My department has added 3 new courses in the vicinity of my area but I have been told by another grad student that I am unlikely to be allowed to audit an additional course. Still no idea what to do.

How rare are classes that are within the vicinity of your area? How rare are your required courses?

6 hours ago, Warelin said:

How rare are classes that are within the vicinity of your area? How rare are your required courses?

I’d say courses in my area are offered less frequently, but the question then is which to choose. In my undergrad we didn’t have elective courses at all so this is a new experience for me.

1 hour ago, victoriansimpkins said:

Just signed a lease on a great house in a quiet neighborhood less than a 10 minute bike ride from campus! 

Yesssssss!!! So happy for you! 

Apartment hunting from a distance is SO hard. 😕I know I'm going to find something/figure something out, but that doesn't mean I'm not stressed af.

14 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Apartment hunting from a distance is SO hard. 😕I know I'm going to find something/figure something out, but that doesn't mean I'm not stressed af.

Totally feel this but everything will fall into place, I promise. For me it all worked itself out when I was in the Dallas airport heading home and feeling so defeated for not finding anything. I’ve got my fingers crossed you’ll have the perfect spot soon.

6 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Totally feel this but everything will fall into place, I promise. For me it all worked itself out when I was in the Dallas airport heading home and feeling so defeated for not finding anything. I’ve got my fingers crossed you’ll have the perfect spot soon.

Thanks for the encouragement ☺️ I'm hopeful for sure! I know it'll all work out in the end.

22 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

it was so hard hunting from afar! i only got lucky because of my roommate being in the area beforehand. i still had to couch surf/short term with people before our lease started. good luck to you :)

my place isn't close to campus at all but I've made acquaintances with people who have similar commutes to hyde park from my area so i feel better. still saying it's extra reading time and keeps me close to work/is bonkers cheap for our area. chicago on the whole is still amazing.

18 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Arriving in Dallas tonight after my (third) 12 hour day on the road. Ahhhhh it’s all happening!

What are you going to do with your time before school starts?!

I FIGURED OUT MY HOUSING! so relieved and now I can move forward figuring out other less stressful stuff