2019 Applicants

NYU sending a pitch for a master's that's 70% out of pocket is something - worse when you ALREADY have a master's degree. PLEASE. When I pay $100+ to apply to a well-respected academic institution's PhD program I do not want them to then try to sell me things after rejecting me ?

Edited by jillcicle

9 hours ago, BarrissOffee said:

Hello! I had been accepted to Tufts for PhD but declined their offer early last week. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response. Best of luck wherever you ended up!

3 hours ago, illcounsel said:

I've accepted my offer for the MA!

That's great! Congrats! I'm completing my MA here in May, and I was inquiring for the PhD (sorry, should have been more specific)-- I'm deciding between staying here and going to South Carolina, where I've also been accepted. If you have any questions about Oxford or the MA here, I'm happy to chat!

Finally got an email back from BU saying that more people accepted than normal. Said they will be pulling from waitlist but possibly only one spot. They also said there are a few people they'd most likely pull before me (ouch), and said they'd keep in touch. 

2 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Finally got an email back from BU saying that more people accepted than normal. Said they will be pulling from waitlist but possibly only one spot. They also said there are a few people they'd most likely pull before me (ouch), and said they'd keep in touch. 

Too bad for them but great for UConn! Congrats on accepting your offer ☺️

I'm probably going to sign off on GradCafe for the foreseeable future! This place was incredibly helpful to me throughout this process, but I think I'm going to dedicate the rest of spring/summer to just reading, relaxing, and trying to prepare myself for the next 6+ years. (Also I should start learning French.)

I do plan to check back in periodically (plus I'm sure I'll have questions or see a discussion I'd like to chime in on), but if any future applicants look back through this thread and have questions about applications/programs/etc, feel free to PM me! Hopefully I will check in frequently enough to see it and respond. I'm not sure how helpful my advice may be, but I thought I'd put that offer out there. Over the past few months, I've become really upset with the admission process and the way it makes applicants question their worth as scholars... I know my ass was saved a few times by people who were kind enough to sit down and give me pointers, so I'm happy to do that as much as I can for anyone else. 

I'm really proud of the group we had here this year. I'm not sure if this is common or not, but I was pleasantly surprised by the support we gave each other, and the genuine happiness we felt for others success even in the midst of our own "failures" (yuck, that's definitely not the right word). I'm really hoping this is representative of graduate students on a larger scale, but I guess I'll have to wait until the fall to find out more about that. Thanks for everything guys!! Hope to see you around.

obviously it doesn't matter now but... did anyone actually receive an official rejection from maryland? i know they sent out acceptances/waitlists but i can't help but feel it is pretty poor on their part to not have actually ever sent out rejections, especially as i emailed them about a month ago asking and they just... ignored me. :P still, there is a part of me that loves that sweet emotional negging.

Edited by dangermouse

2 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

The journal that accepted my paper on white racial anxiety in Kate Chopin's short fiction went live this week! Yay for my first academic publication!

Is this something we have to have a subscription to view? Would like to check it out!

On 4/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, trytostay said:

I do plan to check back in periodically (plus I'm sure I'll have questions or see a discussion I'd like to chime in on), but if any future applicants look back through this thread and have questions about applications/programs/etc, feel free to PM me! Hopefully I will check in frequently enough to see it and respond. I'm not sure how helpful my advice may be, but I thought I'd put that offer out there. Over the past few months, I've become really upset with the admission process and the way it makes applicants question their worth as scholars... I know my ass was saved a few times by people who were kind enough to sit down and give me pointers, so I'm happy to do that as much as I can for anyone else. 

Same thing here! If anyone is looking at this thread, I have email notifications set for PMs and would love to talk to anyone about the topics in my signature, especially if you're thinking about getting into new media/digital media theory or game studies and looking at programs/professors to apply to.

Edited by deka

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit off-topic.... I'm wondering about fulfilling the conditions of admission from the school whose PhD program offer I accepted (University of Toronto). Since I'm currently completing my MA, my degree won't actually officially be conferred until October. Is it pretty standard practice to just email one's upcoming PhD program and let them know that, although you won't be able to provide an official transcript showing degree conferral, you can provide a statement (from the registrar) stating that your degree requirements are complete, but your degree just hasn't officially been conferred yet?? 

I would love to know if any one else is in the situation. Thanks.

Edited by SSHRC