2019 Applicants

Has Berkeley really STILL not sent out their rejections? Like c'mon. Last year they went out mid-March - this year are they sending them out ON April 15 or what? I know it's a rejection but I would sure like something definite anyway. I told myself I'd submit my official acceptance once all my rejections were in but apparently that's going to be unreasonable ?

Edited by jillcicle

2 hours ago, victoriansimpkins said:

I will be! I'm moderating the 19th century British Literature and the Irish Literature panels! 

Omg!!! I'm presenting on the Gender and Race in 20th Century Literature panel! 

Edited by Bopie5

Anyone else feel kind of...weird...after making a decision? Not about the decision, but about this whole application process being concluded for good? All the hope and stress and self doubt and whatever else having resulted in a reality you couldn’t have really predicted months/years ago. It’s...just weird, haha.

20 hours ago, jillcicle said:

Has Berkeley really STILL not sent out their rejections? Like c'mon. Last year they went out mid-March - this year are they sending them out ON April 15 or what? I know it's a rejection but I would sure like something definite anyway. I told myself I'd submit my official acceptance once all my rejections were in but apparently that's going to be unreasonable ?

When I emailed weeks ago they made it fairly clear they wouldn't send out the rest of their official notifications until April. Other people on the forum have made clear that Berkeley isn't going to extend any other offers or waitlists, so I just assumed it meant a giant middle finger to their rejects pile. It really soured me on Berkeley in general. I mean, they've already had their accepted students weekend/visit; what purpose does it serve to delay rejections this long?

4 hours ago, vondafkossum said:

When I emailed weeks ago they made it fairly clear they wouldn't send out the rest of their official notifications until April. Other people on the forum have made clear that Berkeley isn't going to extend any other offers or waitlists, so I just assumed it meant a giant middle finger to their rejects pile. It really soured me on Berkeley in general. I mean, they've already had their accepted students weekend/visit; what purpose does it serve to delay rejections this long?

one thing to note--i applied to berkeley's film PhD and didn't get a rejection, and when i reached out, they said they'd sent notifications. i reiterated i hadn't received anything, not even in my portal, and so she did some investigating and found out there'd been a glitch that'd affected not only me but a few other students. the hold up on the notifications could have nothing to do with the program itself and everything to do with the grad school. just something to keep in mind!

Longtime lurker here but speaking of not hearing anything for extended periods of time, is anyone here the Penn State caller from the results board who keeps getting the run around regarding timing for remaining results? I'm assuming it's a rejection at this point but the slim chance of being on an unofficial waitlist or something has me devoting too much mental energy to it. There are a few admits on the board but nothing since February and no waitlists or rejections.

1 hour ago, mandelbulb said:

one thing to note--i applied to berkeley's film PhD and didn't get a rejection, and when i reached out, they said they'd sent notifications. i reiterated i hadn't received anything, not even in my portal, and so she did some investigating and found out there'd been a glitch that'd affected not only me but a few other students. the hold up on the notifications could have nothing to do with the program itself and everything to do with the grad school. just something to keep in mind!

I hear ya; the English department's grad advisor was the one who stated that final notifications wouldn't be sent out until April. This was back in February, so they seem to have already have planned not to notify until the end of the process. 

29 minutes ago, stanwix said:

Longtime lurker here but speaking of not hearing anything for extended periods of time, is anyone here the Penn State caller from the results board who keeps getting the run around regarding timing for remaining results? I'm assuming it's a rejection at this point but the slim chance of being on an unofficial waitlist or something has me devoting too much mental energy to it. There are a few admits on the board but nothing since February and no waitlists or rejections.

Not the caller, but I emailed Penn state today. Will post here when I hear back.

2 hours ago, stanwix said:

That caller is me! Everything I know was posted there. That said, I’m waiting on MA results, not PhD. 

2 hours ago, vollie said:

That caller is me! Everything I know was posted there. That said, I’m waiting on MA results, not PhD. 

Thanks for checking in for all of us. I applied to the PhD with a Master's myself. Supposedly they've admitted only 1 applicant with a master's degree in past years but who knows whether people know what they're talking about with these things. Seems that decisions are being rolled out differently than usual as well. Hope they still have some positive results to send out and we're not all just waiting on rejections.

Edit: the most recent post replying to yours also makes it sound like there was a full cohort's worth of students at the visiting day last week, so it seems likely that all outright acceptances have gone out.

Edited by stanwix

9 hours ago, stanwix said:

Thanks for checking in for all of us. I applied to the PhD with a Master's myself. Supposedly they've admitted only 1 applicant with a master's degree in past years but who knows whether people know what they're talking about with these things. Seems that decisions are being rolled out differently than usual as well. Hope they still have some positive results to send out and we're not all just waiting on rejections.

Edit: the most recent post replying to yours also makes it sound like there was a full cohort's worth of students at the visiting day last week, so it seems likely that all outright acceptances have gone out.

Yeah, I wonder if they accepted less people this year, considering there’s less people reporting than in previous years. But I suspect they may have done a hidden waitlist this time. It’s by far my top choice and I think it’s a great fit, so I’m holding out hope. 

On 4/4/2019 at 6:29 AM, vondafkossum said:

Agreed. Also, big HMM they sent the rejections like right after this I know it's very unlikely but part of me wants to think a departmental person was lurking and was like OOPS GRADCAFE IS ANGRY. ?

YAAYYYYYY @cassidyaxx!!!!!

Meanwhile I just received my third letter of rejection from Johns Hopkins. Guess they saw from my app what a tenacious go-getter I am and they’re real worried I won’t take no for an answer and just show up for class the first day.