what are people's thoughts on emailing a program to ask if they might consider offering some funds towards relocation expenses? i know the answer will probably be no but i think i'd kick myself if i didn't give it a try as i'd be moving country - does anyone have any tips on how you might word this email, who you'd send it to (the DGS?), ways in which it can be asked whilst sounding polite rather than presumptuous? 

50 minutes ago, dangermouse said:

what are people's thoughts on emailing a program to ask if they might consider offering some funds towards relocation expenses? i know the answer will probably be no but i think i'd kick myself if i didn't give it a try as i'd be moving country - does anyone have any tips on how you might word this email, who you'd send it to (the DGS?), ways in which it can be asked whilst sounding polite rather than presumptuous? 

At my institution, these funds are sometimes located for admitted students who are under-represented minorities, whom we are especially eager to recruit and retain. It's not a super-common practice, but it has happened. I'd write to whoever has been communicating with you about your admission and your matriculation, whether that's the DGS or an administrator. That person will know whom to contact if this is an option. 

On 3/8/2019 at 12:45 AM, Bopie5 said:

Has anyone else read Christina Sharpe's In the Wake: On Blackness and Being? It was on the reading list for my seminar, and I was just floored by Sharpe's writing and theoretical prowess and creativity and also everything. 

Also, on a plane ride today, I reread Orientalism for the first time in a while. Guess theory is my new coping mechanism? Can't tell if that's like good or crazy haha!

Read it a couple months ago for my class on Black spaces! Her iteration of the wake is very similar to the research I want to do :) Have you read any Spillers or Quashie's The Sovereignty of Quiet

17 hours ago, swarthmawr said:

I felt that way about Irvine and just emailed them— I ended up being on a waitlist. Some schools have “hidden” waitlists so it might be worth reaching out to see if decisions have been released yet at this point. 

I guess I should do this with the ones I am waiting on... Having a response would be great.

I am with you @effietheant I do start to have some annoyance that they cannot just let me know I am waitlisted or rejected outright. 

@swarthmawr I did what you suggested and reached out to all six remaining schools. I've already heard back from four of them - one "hidden" wait list, one rejection, and two let me know they're still deliberating. At this point, I'm just happy to be receiving any news at all! 

@Matthew3957 Right? I understand how difficult it must be to make admissions decisions, especially when schools receive hundreds of applicants, but there must be a way to go about it a little quicker. It makes everything a mess, imo and it kind of works against them in some ways? Two of the schools I've been accepted to have been "courting" me for the past month, so if a new school comes into the game now, they're almost at a disadvantage... I don't know if that makes sense lol in essence, I don't like the way this process goes down at. all. haha

@swarthmawr @effietheant I have followed suit and emailed the three I am still waiting on. I am with you and would just love any response so I can start planning the move.

17 hours ago, sadgworl said:

Read it a couple months ago for my class on Black spaces! Her iteration of the wake is very similar to the research I want to do :) Have you read any Spillers or Quashie's The Sovereignty of Quiet

Same—the way she talks about the wake honestly makes me rethink what kind of research I can and want to do??? I haven’t—I’ll have to add to my list! 

1 hour ago, Matthew3957 said:

@swarthmawr @effietheant I have followed suit and emailed the three I am still waiting on. I am with you and would just love any response so I can start planning the move.

If you hear from Davis, could you let me know??

I emailed UC Berkeley last night (I'm currently a student there) and received this response this morning: "Thank you for your application.  We have made our initial offers of admission.  Final notifications will be sent out in April." I would have preferred a straight up rejection, but I guess this is close enough...

1 hour ago, mandelbulb said:

i move to enact a march 15th deadline for all initial offers and rejections............................. and then an april 15th deadline for subsequent offers. please just put us out of our misery.

I second this motion.

@Bopie5 "We are waiting for the program director to approve all admission decisions in our application system which will then transmit an official letter from Graduate Studies.  I just found out she will start doing so today.  " - from Davis

The person also let me know didn't get in but honestly so much better to have a clean rejection at this stage. 

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

I know there is absolutely no way that Villanova will notify me at 10pm EST on a Wednesday, but alas...my heart still leaps every time I get an email.

Villanova let me know like ~2 weeks after applying (late in the cycle) that I was accepted! I'm sure you'll hear soon! 

Well, the third phone call to Baylor (after two ignored emails and two unhelpful phone calls), Baylor finally decided to let me know that I had been rejected back in February, but they failed to send any sort of formal rejection until yesterday afternoon. 

That wraps my cycle up at long last. Thanks to you guys for all your support! I’ve enjoyed it. For better or worse, University of Southern Mississippi here I come!

15 hours ago, Matthew3957 said:

The person also let me know didn't get in but honestly so much better to have a clean rejection at this stage. 

Do you mean they let you know you were rejected? I'm sorry :( 

Does her message maybe mean that they're sending out official admissions to follow up on the unofficial phone calls that went out in early Feb? BLERG 

17 hours ago, Matthew3957 said:

@Bopie5 "We are waiting for the program director to approve all admission decisions in our application system which will then transmit an official letter from Graduate Studies.  I just found out she will start doing so today.  " - from Davis

Thank you for the intel! Hopefully this means I can finally get closure in the next few days. Or maybe I should just email right now and get it over with haha.

additional UC Davis intel: the DGS submitted all admission decisions yesterday in the application system so it's now up to the grad studies department to finalize and issue official letters. we should probably receive those in the next week. 

Stupid question: if a school asks for a "preferred itinerary" before booking a flight, what does that mean? I would assume it's the preferred dates/ times of travel, but I've already sent them that...:huh:?

14 minutes ago, ChunkyMonkey said:

Stupid question: if a school asks for a "preferred itinerary" before booking a flight, what does that mean? I would assume it's the preferred dates/ times of travel, but I've already sent them that...:huh:?

I would think they are asking about preferred specific flights. 

In further craziness, I just had a paper on Frankenstein accepted for presentation at a conference on the Gothic! I’m shook! I didn’t think I would get accepted and I only applied for practice writing abstracts. It feels really good to be already be building my app for next cycle if I don’t get into Villanova.