2019 Applicants

8 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Anybody still waiting on Uconn? I have yet to hear anything from them and I'm thinking of emailing today.

I'm on the waitlist. I emailed my POI last week, and she said I was definitely on the waitlist, and that they would let me know if anything changed. She also said they got "a lot of strong applicants this year." Did you end up emailing them?

16 hours ago, breemartini said:

Is anyone else still waiting on UC Davis, NYU, or Brown PhD? Still haven't heard a thing from any of these programs ?

I haven't heard from NYU English and I assume it's a rejection because I see that accepted people were called mid-February. I just wish they would respond already.

33 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Friends!!! I just had a paper on dynamics of embodied race in Kate Chopin's "Desiree's Baby" accepted for publication in an undergraduate research journal! I am OVER THE MOON! My first academic publication!

That is freaking AWESOME!!! Congrats Bopes!

7 hours ago, nyccat said:

I haven't heard from NYU English and I assume it's a rejection because I see that accepted people were called mid-February. I just wish they would respond already.

Same here with both NYU and UC Davis. I had already assumed rejections, but with NYU there are all three types of notices on the board (though only one rejection) so I'm not entirely sure what to think. Someone on the board said there might be an unofficial waitlist but I'm not getting my hopes up for that, of course.

Got some meh news from WUSTL--that they're not "encouraging" waitlisters to visit this year since they took a smaller cohort and are unsure how much they'll need to dip into the waitlist pool if at all. This does not seem to bode well for me. I'm trying to gauge if this is a general thing with the waitlist or that maybe they know I personally won't be likely to get off the waitlist. Has anyone had any contact with them? Has anyone got in and know they'll be declining the offer? PM would be great if you don't want to go into it here! 

Edited by beardedlady

22 minutes ago, grizzlybers said:

@cassidyaxx @StamfordCat I'm also on the UConn waitlist.  Did you all receive any word on campus visits either officially or from POIs?

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm on the waitlist for the MA so I'm not sure if I would hear anything. My POI is my advisor from undergrad and she hasn't mentioned anything about a campus visit. 

41 minutes ago, grizzlybers said:

@cassidyaxx @StamfordCat I'm also on the UConn waitlist.  Did you all receive any word on campus visits either officially or from POIs?

No, I haven't! Did you? I would love to visit, but I'm not sure what their policy on waitlisters visiting is.

Why are there only rejections and waitlists on the board for GW? My application has changed and now says that it cannot be submitted because the deadline has passed so I assume they have started tinkering but haven’t gotten to me yet. 

54 minutes ago, WildeingOut said:

@Wildthing GW's waitlist is apparently unranked and they haven't sent out official acceptances yet. So if you haven't heard back that might be in your favor

Fellow Wildeperson, may I ask how you know this?

Has anyone else read Christina Sharpe's In the Wake: On Blackness and Being? It was on the reading list for my seminar, and I was just floored by Sharpe's writing and theoretical prowess and creativity and also everything. 

Also, on a plane ride today, I reread Orientalism for the first time in a while. Guess theory is my new coping mechanism? Can't tell if that's like good or crazy haha!

11 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Has anyone else read Christina Sharpe's In the Wake: On Blackness and Being? It was on the reading list for my seminar, and I was just floored by Sharpe's writing and theoretical prowess and creativity and also everything. 

Also, on a plane ride today, I reread Orientalism for the first time in a while. Guess theory is my new coping mechanism? Can't tell if that's like good or crazy haha!

An Ethnic Studies class I took was shaped around both Sharpe’s text and Eve Tuck’s Suspending Damage piece!! If you haven’t read the latter, I think you would appreciate it  

Just now, sugilite said:

An Ethnic Studies class I took was shaped around both Sharpe’s text and Eve Tuck’s Suspending Damage piece!! If you haven’t read the latter, I think you would appreciate it  

I haven't read it! Thank you for the rec--I'm heading into spring break soon, and in need of good reads! Bookmarking it right now ☺️

On 3/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, StamfordCat said:

No, I haven't! Did you? I would love to visit, but I'm not sure what their policy on waitlisters visiting is.

Nope! Nothing besides the initial waitlist notice.  I was thinking about emailing just to hear something as the initial notification was pretty curt and I want to show that I really am interested!