2019 Applicants

On 3/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, StamfordCat said:

No, I haven't! Did you? I would love to visit, but I'm not sure what their policy on waitlisters visiting is.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:01 AM, cassidyaxx said:

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm on the waitlist for the MA so I'm not sure if I would hear anything. My POI is my advisor from undergrad and she hasn't mentioned anything about a campus visit. 

On 3/7/2019 at 10:37 AM, grizzlybers said:

@cassidyaxx @StamfordCat I'm also on the UConn waitlist.  Did you all receive any word on campus visits either officially or from POIs?

Current UConn student here! UConn doesn't do an official visit, so that's why you haven't heard anything. We will host if you want to come and visit, though (not sure about waitlisters. I'd ask.). And not to be a downer, but they're probably not going to dip into the waitlist this year because they're trying really hard to make this year's cohort smaller.

44 minutes ago, signandsignifiers said:

Current UConn student here! UConn doesn't do an official visit, so that's why you haven't heard anything. We will host if you want to come and visit, though (not sure about waitlisters. I'd ask.). And not to be a downer, but they're probably not going to dip into the waitlist this year because they're trying really hard to make this year's cohort smaller.

Well, even though it's probably bad news, thanks for the info! I won't hold out hope. 

7 minutes ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

just got the acceptance to UChicago's MAPH with $10.5k scholarship. feels like someone threw a handful of nickels at me

same offer, same feeling. just ridiculous. felt good to fill out the decision survey and write the polite, respectful version of "y'all are out of your damn minds."

I also received the same offer for Chicago’s MAPH but with a $30k scholarship—and I thought *that* was ridiculous when I scrolled to see the tuition is $60k (just the tuition!!). When half of your offer letter is how to pay for your program, you have to realize that what you’re doing is completely out of touch with reality.

Who fills these program slots, and how are they perceived when/if they apply to PhD programs?

12 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

I also received the same offer for Chicago’s MAPH but with a $30k scholarship—and I thought *that* was ridiculous when I scrolled to see the tuition is $60k (just the tuition!!). When half of your offer letter is how to pay for your program, you have to realize that what you’re doing is completely out of touch with reality.

Who fills these program slots, and how are they perceived when/if they apply to PhD programs?

I got this offer too. I first read 30k and was like "oh wow that sounds good!" and then I kept reading and I was like "oh wow....that's....not even half what I will need....." No thanks, man. I can get deep dish pizza anywhere anyway. 

I got a 30k scholarship to the MAPH program. It felt good filling out the rejection survey. Just a reminder to never allow someone to make you doubt your own worth! 

Sorry if that sounded preachy I am just ~~** emotional **~~

Edited by trytostay

I also got into the MAPH with a 10.5K scholarship.  How many people/what percentage get into this program?  Seeing so many acceptances.  I feel like MAPH would be a good stepping stone to a top-notch PHD, but 50K tuition is ridiculous.  What does everyone everyone know about MAPH and placements?  I'm half way considering taking out more loans because UChicago is such a great college.  But also feeling like I'm being swindled.

3 hours ago, StarkDark1 said:

I also got into the MAPH with a 10.5K scholarship.  How many people/what percentage get into this program?  Seeing so many acceptances.  I feel like MAPH would be a good stepping stone to a top-notch PHD, but 50K tuition is ridiculous.  What does everyone everyone know about MAPH and placements?  I'm half way considering taking out more loans because UChicago is such a great college.  But also feeling like I'm being swindled.

Donnnnnn't dooo itttt

8 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Same here, same scholarship. I’m like...you think I can go $50K in debt (tuition alone) for my MA? Nah. 

Whoa!! I knew it was expensive, but tuition alone is HOW MUCH???? That’s not including living costs, and it’s only a year???

2 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Whoa!! I knew it was expensive, but tuition alone is HOW MUCH???? That’s not including living costs, and it’s only a year???

My acceptance letter said tuition for the one year is about $60,000. And yeah—not including living costs, for the one year program! 

9 hours ago, StarkDark1 said:

How does anyone afford 60,000 for tuition + 30,000 for living expenses when most of the scholarships are 10,000 to 30,000?  It's jaw-dropping.

independent wealth and/or loans. The "scholarships" they offer seem pretty clearly designed to entice people who are down on their luck to spend tens of thousands of dollars and fund the graduate students the school actually cares about. "Well at least I'm not paying the full $60k!" It sort of makes me sick to imagine that there are people who aren't on this board who think they've been given a lifeline.

Honestly, the apparently predatory nature of this program seems at odds with Chicago's reputation for excellence. I imagine 10 years or so from now, when our generation is fully entrenched in academia, this is not going to be a good look.

Edited by dilby

2 hours ago, dilby said:

independent wealth and/or loans. The "scholarships" they offer seem pretty clearly designed to entice people who are down on their luck to spend tens of thousands of dollars and fund the graduate students the school actually cares about. "Well at least I'm not paying the full $60k!" It sort of makes me sick to imagine that there are people who aren't on this board who think they've been given a lifeline.

Honestly, the apparently predatory nature of this program seems at odds with Chicago's reputation for excellence. I imagine 10 years or so from now, when our generation is fully entrenched in academia, this is not going to be a good look.

This right here.