2019 Applicants

2 hours ago, Matthew3957 said:

So... I am still waiting on the UCSC call. I told the POI that they can call anytime before 230pm PT this week. I figured since I got the email and responded early Tuesday I might hear back that day or the next. I was thinking if I don't hear from them today I should follow-up tomorrow, but I also realize "this week" could be Friday or Sunday. I have an international number so that might be part of the issue. I guess I should just be patient, but I figured following up might be best. Thoughts?

I think it's safe to assume business week--there are some schools that were notifying on the weekend, but I think if you are trying to arrange a call then unless specifically stated it would be M-F. I would just follow-up and mention time zones, int'l phone number, etc. and that you wanted to check in. 

14 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

That's exactly how I'm feeling! Even when pulling together my Villanova app, I realized how much I'd grown and become more focused in the last few months. But I feel the same way about the money too. I look at my bank account and realize that I could have about $900 more in there...eeeek.

I'm taking a month long break regardless too. Fingers crossed for a good internship for you! 

And re: the writing sample--this warmed my heart extremely this morning! I hope you enjoy Asher Lev. Affirmation on the WS means more than you know right now!

Yes! I must say, the process of applying to grad schools was invaluable in compelling me to hone my research focus for my honours thesis much earlier than I was expected to (I mean, having to describe my project in my SoPs did acquaint me pretty well with its central ideas), so at the moment, I am much less frazzled about it than my peers. Still, it's an experience for which I've had to fork out just about as much as you did... (Imagine how many books one can buy with that $900!! ??) (I'm really not looking forward to lining ETS's pockets again.) 

And yes, do take some time off! We certainly deserve it after all the stress that we've put ourselves through, not to mention that breaks will only be harder and harder to come by as one progresses through grad school and beyond. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you as well wrt Villanova, esp since the program seems so perfectly suited to your areas of interest! I really can't wait to see what you'll accomplish in the future! 

1 hour ago, WildeingOut said:

Anyone know anything about UMD? Have been assuming IR, but just wondering.

I’m waitlisted at umd, got an email end of Jan. I don’t think they’ve sent out acceptances though (according to the board)! Someone correct me if I’m wrong though! I wouldn’t count it a IR at this pt though!

i finally decided to have a signature and listing out all the programs i still have to hear from was sorta jaw-dropping........................ i feel like this year hasn't been great for timely rejections, even from places that typically are good about it (harvard, uc davis).

9 hours ago, WildeingOut said:

Anyone know anything about UMD? Have been assuming IR, but just wondering.

Also waiting on a response. I think next week I will email all of my pending schools because at this stage I think it is reasonable to seek a response. That said, if anyone feels like giving calls and helping out be my guest.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:04 PM, theotherbrontesister said:

I know there's those two Harvard acceptances on the board, but anyone else heard anything, in any capacity? I thought we'd see some more acceptances after those a few days ago.

Got a waitlist email yesterday 

13 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Also waiting on a response. I think next week I will email all of my pending schools because at this stage I think it is reasonable to seek a response. That said, if anyone feels like giving calls and helping out be my guest.

I was waitlisted at UMD at the beginning of February--like the 1st or the 2nd. I ended up asking to be removed, but UMD has a history of sending out all waitlists and acceptances in the beginning of February and then holding off on rejections until later on in March. Sorry :( 

1 hour ago, isoldeabandoned said:

I was waitlisted at UMD at the beginning of February--like the 1st or the 2nd. I ended up asking to be removed, but UMD has a history of sending out all waitlists and acceptances in the beginning of February and then holding off on rejections until later on in March. Sorry :( 

Oh well, I thought I saw some UMD rejections which was why I thought it might be some invisible waitlist situation.

1 hour ago, WildeThing said:

Oh well, I thought I saw some UMD rejections which was why I thought it might be some invisible waitlist situation.

Idk last year on the board it looks like acceptances at umd went out around now with waitlists and rejects first. There may be hope still!

From our end it looks like Harvard is done making offers, as Husband received a list of accepted students and their research areas a couple days ago. Looks like they accepted about 15 students. If any admitted students are on here, let me know if you have any questions!

I got accepted to the MA program at my alma mater, Duquesne, this morning with no funding offer whatsoever. I'm absolutely devastated. My letter writers are all shocked, and quite frankly, so am I. I can't afford to go back to school without some kind of support. I thought this was finally going to be my chance to get out of a job I can't stand and be able to pursue what I'm passionate about, and all that hope is crushed. 

1 hour ago, vesperalvioletta said:

I got accepted to the MA program at my alma mater, Duquesne, this morning with no funding offer whatsoever. I'm absolutely devastated. My letter writers are all shocked, and quite frankly, so am I. I can't afford to go back to school without some kind of support. I thought this was finally going to be my chance to get out of a job I can't stand and be able to pursue what I'm passionate about, and all that hope is crushed. 

I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through this and having to deal with these feelings. It is in no way a reflection of your work or you as a scholar. This process is absolutely bonkers and random. Are you considering re-applying for the 2020 cycle? I think you should. If your letter writers are shocked, it means they expected differently for you, and you’re a strong applicant who has faculty support. 

2 minutes ago, trytostay said:

I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through this and having to deal with these feelings. It is in no way a reflection of your work or you as a scholar. This process is absolutely bonkers and random. Are you considering re-applying for the 2020 cycle? I think you should. If your letter writers are shocked, it means they expected differently for you, and you’re a strong applicant who has faculty support. 

I appreciate you saying that. I'm really quite heartbroken and as such I haven't thought much about my options yet. The same thing happened to me in the 2017 cycle, except that I didn't apply until June, so it was really no surprise when I didn't get any funding. I did everything right this time around, so to come out with the same result is really difficult to swallow. Since it's my second time around already, I'm not sure if there's any value in waiting it out another year. 

I'm getting mixed opinions on what I should do. My mentor in the department is trying to figure out exactly what happened since she wasn't on the committee this cycle as she was teaching in Italy at the time - but the general consensus among those I know in the department is that I shouldn't accept the offer. Professors I'm still in touch with in other departments think I should just take it and see if I can get any funding after my first semester, but (and not to sound vain) I know my worth, and it's certainly more than what I'm being offered at this point. I really don't know what to do. 

2 hours ago, vesperalvioletta said:

I know my worth, and it's certainly more than what I'm being offered at this point. I really don't know what to do. 

I don’t know what you should do either, but I wouldn’t worry about that right this moment. I’d take a week or so to let it all process and come to terms with everything. It’s so amazing you’re recognizing your worth and value! Hold onto that and don’t be swayed by whatever comes in the next few months. The best advice I ever got was: “Goals, not plans.” Your goal is to go to grad school, and how you accomplish that will shift and change as time goes on. I’m sorry again that you’re dealing with this. Feel free to PM me if you need someone to bounce ideas off of or just to vent to!! 

1 hour ago, trytostay said:

I don’t know what you should do either, but I wouldn’t worry about that right this moment. I’d take a week or so to let it all process and come to terms with everything. It’s so amazing you’re recognizing your worth and value! Hold onto that and don’t be swayed by whatever comes in the next few months. The best advice I ever got was: “Goals, not plans.” Your goal is to go to grad school, and how you accomplish that will shift and change as time goes on. I’m sorry again that you’re dealing with this. Feel free to PM me if you need someone to bounce ideas off of or just to vent to!! 

Thank you for being so supportive through this. You've honestly been more understanding than my family or my partner have been, and it truly means a lot to me. I'm going to take some time to think things through, but right now I'm leaning towards not going. I'd love to chat some more. 

1 hour ago, socialworkeritm said:

I am also waiting to hear back from Stony Brook!

It's not just me!! :) Based on the last few years, we should be hearing from them this week. Fingers crossed! I'm doing Rhet/Comp, what about you?

1 hour ago, tcatherine said:

And that official Rutgers rejection came through this morning -__-

At least they notified you? Haha. I checked the portal after seeing the results board and got the same callous one-liner. Oh well ?‍♂️