2019 Applicants

21 minutes ago, theotherbrontesister said:

Echo-ing the other questions and also, was the notifcation from today? And a call or email? 

Received an acceptance over email from Harvard today in the late afternoon! It said to expect a call later in the week. Good luck to everyone!!

(I'm a medievalist, if it helps to know)

Edited by eekemelye
additional info

ok to everyone who just posted (wow, a lot of you - won't bother quoting/tagging)

- my friend is a medievalist

- the decision came out today

- im not sure if my friend got a call or email, but i could ask

all in all, he pretty much just slayed everything.  what a fucking champ.  even prouder to be his friend haha

10 minutes ago, Ranmaag said:

kind of in the same boat, contemplating declining my current offer and taking on another path actually (and possibly applying when I'm older instead of going in now, or just pursue my love of poetry in another way, and I say that knowing I'll probably change enough by the time I'm 27/28 that I won't really feel that need/'fire' to pursue grad school)... jury's still out on that. I've been ping-ponging back and forth.

i'm 30 and the fire didn't go away. if it's something you want, it stays with you, even if you go on another path (or paths). trust your gut!

2 minutes ago, optimistic_nihilist said:

all in all, he pretty much just slayed everything.  what a fucking champ.  even prouder to be his friend haha

lol i feel the same way about anyone in my cohort

Lol @ the drama with Brown on the results board. Am I the only one who thinks insulting other people’s online grammar is stupid and a cheap shot? Obviously we all know how to punctuate properly. It’s just so unnecessary to do it online/via text/etc constantly. lawwwwwwd have mercy. 

Edited by trytostay

12 minutes ago, manymusings14 said:

UC Irvine is such a great school though! You should definitely consider it, if it matches with your research interests of course.

I know :) My reasons are definitely not institution related for sure. It's an immense honor and I've wanted to go to UC Irvine since high school (didn't pan out then, so I'm glad it did now). The research match is scarily high, can't say much more as it is that period between acceptance and visit.

It's more rooted as to whether or not I feel ready for graduate school than anything, and realizing how much anxiety I had in undergrad writing a thesis. I've kinda taken a self-reflection and really asked myself if I have the stamina now, at 22/23 (with only one year of my life not spent in a school, and that one year out of school is now, spent on applying.), to professionalize that and be willing to push a dissertation out (much less contemplate seminars, quals, and being around in that high pressure environment again. for all I know I could spectacularly fail my MA examination and be out of the program by 2021 if I decide to go). It's mostly very personal, and it's basically down as to whether or not I'm going to graduate school for the right reasons.

Edited by Ranmaag

1 minute ago, Ranmaag said:

I know :) My reasons are definitely not institution related for sure. It's an immense honor and I've wanted to go to UC Irvine since high school (didn't pan out then, so I'm glad it did now).

It's more as rooted as to whether or not I feel ready for graduate school than anything, and realizing how much anxiety I had in undergrad writing a thesis. I've kinda taken a self-reflection and really asked myself if I have the stamina now, at 23 (with only one year of my life not spent in a school, and that one year out of school is now, spent on applying.), to professionalize that and be willing to push a dissertation out (much less contemplate seminars, quals, and being around in that high pressure environment again). It's most very personal, and it's mostly down as to whether or not I'm going to graduate school for the right reasons.

Being very close to 30 and having worked after my MA, the only advice/experience I can share is that work can cause anxiety too. You'll most likely have deadlines or responsibilities/things to do or hand in in whatever field you choose to pursue. Anxiety is something that needs to be tackled on its own, and in my experience getting a bit older helps, as you build up different life experiences and realize some things that seemed super important were actually relatively chill/irrevelant and so on. You might not be attracted to the academic life, and that's a different story. But if you are, and your only worry is stamina, then you might encounter this issue in other fields as well and it would be too bad to miss a great PhD opportunity. :) 

That being said, you do you, and trust your gut, this is just my own standpoint on these matters and maybe we're very different people.

53 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

i'm 30 and the fire didn't go away. if it's something you want, it stays with you, even if you go on another path (or paths). trust your gut!

Chiming in as a 30+ year old whose fire is still burning (my freshmen just finished reading The Road, so I’m ~feeling this fire motif today). Sometimes life takes you down a different path than you intended, but the journey is just as meaningful even if you jumped in right away, I think. There’s a lot of life to be lived. Not much has changed about what I’m interested in, but in my years since undergrad I’ve had some time to develop a few different perspective on my interests and the relationships between them. It’s been good for me, and I hope whatever happens for you either way is good for you, too. 

2 hours ago, trytostay said:

Lol @ the drama with Brown on the results board. Am I the only one who thinks insulting other people’s online grammar is stupid and a cheap shot? Obviously we all know how to punctuate properly. It’s just so unnecessary to do it online/via text/etc constantly. lawwwwwwd have mercy. 

That kind of stuff makes me so mad, it’s straight up rude and also has undercurrents of racism, ableism, and classism. We should all be better than that. Boo to those people.

Soooo someone else on the admissions results page has already brought it up, but has anyone gotten any rejections from UNC-Chapel Hill yet? Or like any notification after February 20? Kind of curious and baffled by their radio silence rn considering everyone of the other U.S. programs I've applied to have communicated much earlier.  

10 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

That kind of stuff makes me so mad, it’s straight up rude and also has undercurrents of racism, ableism, and classism. We should all be better than that. Boo to those people.

Agreed!! I don't get why people do this. We're all doing our best and trying desperately to make it through the cycle. There's no need to be a jerk. 

Edited by Anonymouse124

On 2/25/2019 at 3:53 AM, 3131 said:

thought this may ease some of your minds: I've been admitted to NYU, CUNY, Rutgers, and Columbia thus far, and accepted Columbia's offer a few days ago. I contacted the admissions department from each of the other schools about my decision yesterday and have received responses from all, so for those waitlisted or especially waiting for responses from Rutgers, spots are opening up! And to future members of my cohort: hello!

I’m not sure the first person was in the wrong, actually. A lot of people are not familiar with the forum, as is evident from the results not being represented here. For instance, I didn’t know about this platform for the longest time. And in that scenario, the result board becomes the only hope for information in an otherwise torturous waiting period. 

And the result board is a democratic space after all. No one should police other people in that space at this time. 

I reached out to Brandeis to see what was up with people who hadn't been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. They said while they've sent out those notifications, people still waiting are on a waitlist, just not ranked high enough to be notified. They said they'll follow up in the next few weeks as decisions are finalized. 

8 minutes ago, CaffeineCardigan said:

I reached out to Brandeis to see what was up with people who hadn't been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. They said while they've sent out those notifications, people still waiting are on a waitlist, just not ranked high enough to be notified. They said they'll follow up in the next few weeks as decisions are finalized. 

You’re a gem! Thank you. 

Just scoured the boards for a solid 15 minutes looking for that one long list of sample questions to ask--can someone help me out and re-post it here?

EDIT: Nvm, found it! And if anyone else is looking for it, it's here.

Edited by trytostay

26 minutes ago, trytostay said:

Just scoured the boards for a solid 15 minutes looking for that one long list of sample questions to ask--can someone help me out and re-post it here?

One that I've had some fun with is asking POIs what dissertations they've directed stand out as uniquely fun or memorable and why.  I guess it gives them a nice chance to brag about their former students, but I think it also has a lot of potential to show how they like to work and what really interests them. 

On 2/25/2019 at 1:44 PM, awildsheep said:

Does Rutgers typically have a waitlist? (If so, does anyone know when they typically tell applicants?)

Just checked my portal and discovered I've been placed on their waitlist! Confused about my feelings but at least I'm not seeing the purple "No decision" anymore.

1 hour ago, trytostay said:

THANK YOU FOR LINKING! What a hero. Was gonna spend my morning searching for this as well!

27 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Finally got that UConn rejection.  Just waiting on you now, UO and Berkeley. Gimme your politely-worded yet utter lack of interest!

Oregon is straight up asleep over there or something, it's been weeks!! Just reject us already!!!

1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

Finally got that UConn rejection.  Just waiting on you now, UO and Berkeley. Gimme your politely-worded yet utter lack of interest!

54 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

Oregon is straight up asleep over there or something, it's been weeks!! Just reject us already!!!

I have written that they typically reject in the first week of March, so I'm not expecting that sweet sweet rejection until next week, probably. But yes. Just give it to me!  

Gimme your politely-worded yet utter lack of interest!

Part of me has always hoped that universities delay rejections because they receive so many qualified applicants and are hoping that you receive your good news before the bad news. :)

Me too. Bummer, but I was sort of expecting it based on the results board. Maybe next year! 

1 hour ago, simile said:

Just checked my portal and discovered I've been placed on their waitlist! Confused about my feelings but at least I'm not seeing the purple "No decision" anymore.

Also got waitlisted, and same lol. It feels good at least to know what's going on.