2019 Applicants

52 minutes ago, jillcicle said:

Definitely and also dibs on being Daphne. But like, edgier, who lectures Fred on his misogyny and why he isn't entitled to direct the group.

Given my profile picture of a romantic young Donne with the locks of love, I’ll put dibs on Shaggy. 

1 minute ago, Rootbound said:

Given my profile picture of a romantic young Donne with the locks of love, I’ll put dibs on Shaggy. 

haha yesss! that’s perfect. i gotta go with my gal Velma, i think our research interests would align. which is... undoubtedly the weirdest sentence i’ve written in a while. 

1 hour ago, jillcicle said:

That makes at least 5 of us on the UVA mystery gang. Ugh. Maybe today! I just want to knooooow.

I am also on UVA mystery gang lol. Applied for a PhD program and I'm yet to hear from them

56 minutes ago, theinforat said:

Make that 6 (does that make me Scrappy-Doo?) although I’m calling it implied rejection at this point. 

Yes, you can be Scrappy Doo and we even promise not to let you become hated and turn you into the villain ;)

40 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

haha yesss! that’s perfect. i gotta go with my gal Velma, i think our research interests would align. which is... undoubtedly the weirdest sentence i’ve written in a while. 

That's the best sentence I've read in a while.

16 minutes ago, stressbot3000 said:

well there is my rejection! hahahaha

ahh damn :( can’t imagine why they would roll it out like this! so sorry it’s bad news.

edit: @stressbot3000 did your portal update or an email?

Edited by amphilanthus

wtf 3 rejections from UVA sent through and my email is... still empty??? Did they lose the app can you just reject me already?! Columbia did gradually rollouts of rejections too and that also sucked. I just want to know! There's nothing on my portal, either. I checked just in case.

Edited by jillcicle

3 minutes ago, jillcicle said:

wtf 3 rejections from UVA sent through and my email is... still empty??? Did they lose the app can you just reject me already?! Columbia did gradually rollouts of rejections too and that also sucked. I just want to know!

same same same :( so frustrating 

30 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

unless i get into the maph program at chicago, it's looking like a shutout for me. see you all next year and best of luck to everyone the rest of this cycle. 

Sorry to hear. I’ve enjoyed seeing you around the forum. See you next year!

Got my funding letter from Oregon, and I'm pretty confused about what it's saying. Is there anyone I could message who might be able to help me? I emailed them back but I have a feeling they won't be answering until Monday...

15 minutes ago, MeginAK said:

Got my funding letter from Oregon, and I'm pretty confused about what it's saying. Is there anyone I could message who might be able to help me? I emailed them back but I have a feeling they won't be answering until Monday...

Welcome to send it to me. I'm not a grad student, but I'm a university employee that has hired TAs before so I have some experience with contracts :) 

11 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Welcome to send it to me. I'm not a grad student, but I'm a university employee that has hired TAs before so I have some experience with contracts :) 

Thank you! Messaged you.

1 hour ago, jadeisokay said:

unless i get into the maph program at chicago, it's looking like a shutout for me. see you all next year and best of luck to everyone the rest of this cycle. 

Sorry to hear that. I haven’t heard from any programs yet, so you’ll most likely catch me here next year too. All the best to you! 

2 minutes ago, bwriteshere said:

@roadrunner_33 I haven't heard back either! I keep checking my portal but it seems like all acceptances and rejections went out already...?  It's weird!

Definitely weird! I was wondering if they forgot about me?! I hope we hear soon, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up. Best of luck to you!

2 minutes ago, Rootbound said:

Shaggy’s still out here with no word either...what a fun game we are playing, UVA. 

it’s like they’re doing rejections one at a time... but only for an hour once a week, and when time runs out we get punted to the next week’s Happy Fun Rejection Hour! totally bizarre to me. would do anything to just receive a generic form letter!

2 hours ago, MeginAK said:

Thank you! Messaged you.

If you guys puzzle it out could I ask to be PM’d what you figure out? I got it too but I’m abroad with only my phone so I haven’t gotten a chance to look very well. 

5 hours ago, stressbot3000 said:

well there is my rejection! hahahaha

LOL, I like how I can tell which post is yours on the results board. Good riddance, UVA! 

@toxicmoss - I'll post my general tips to interpreting offers just so it's public knowledge and anyone can weigh in with their tips, too. Basically, sometimes offer letters are a little confusing at first glance. Depending on the institution, sometimes they state the amount of money they are  covering in tuition, student fees, health insurance, which is all included in part of your package. However, the only amount of money that you'll ever see (i.e. be able to use to pay rent/buy food) is the stipend--which is much, much less. Be sure you're using the stipend only when you're trying to check out the cost of living in an area! 

•  
Edited by sugilite