2019 Applicants

1 hour ago, xenakis9 said:

Lurker here, hi everyone! Has anyone heard from Harvard English PhD? From past years it seems like acceptances should be coming in any second... 

Someone I know called and they said that it looked like decisions wouldn't be back until early March. I'm wondering if they're just behind this year or they mean all decisions acceptances, rejections, etc. 

37 minutes ago, theotherbrontesister said:

Someone I know called and they said that it looked like decisions wouldn't be back until early March. I'm wondering if they're just behind this year or they mean all decisions acceptances, rejections, etc. 

Thanks @theotherbrontesister. I figured nothing had happened yet since there are acceptances on the board every year. 

50 minutes ago, MetaphysicalDrama said:

Actually, I don't mind not hearing back from schools promptly.  I'm a sucker for a glimmer of hope.  

Things are actually happening really quickly this cycle.  Ten years ago, the idea was if you haven't heard anything by the middle of March, then you're in trouble.  

Then I’ll subscribe to your hopefulness. I haven’t heard a peep from any program. 

2 hours ago, thismortalcoil said:

I know someone who was accepted something like three weeks ago because they gave him some sort of fellowship. Perhaps BC is rolling admissions out slowly? 

Ah thank you! I'm hoping that's the case. 

43 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

same and I haaaate itttttt! please just reject me already and let me be done with this ?

*Velma and Daphne stand alone at the edge of the precipice, hair fluttering in the breeze, faces determined*

But for real, what the eff. You're early modern, right? And I'm medieval? I listed Clare Kinney, Bruce Holsinger, Alison Booth, and Brad Pasanek - would I be right in guessing we have overlap on that possibly? That's the only thing that I can guess is maybe they're processing us slower, or... *BIG SHRUG*

1 minute ago, jillcicle said:

*Velma and Daphne stand alone at the edge of the precipice, hair fluttering in the breeze, faces determined*

But for real, what the eff. You're early modern, right? And I'm medieval? I listed Clare Kinney, Bruce Holsinger, Alison Booth, and Brad Pasanek - would I be right in guessing we have overlap on that possibly? That's the only thing that I can guess is maybe they're processing us slower, or... *BIG SHRUG*

yes, some overlap! Clare Kinney was on my list (RIP to all my dreams there :(). all very interesting. I mean, mostly frustrating... but interesting! the handful of rejections a day thing is just. argh. why?? all my other rejections have been so timely and this one is killing me!

29 minutes ago, jillcicle said:

Shaggy is still here! I am early modern, and also listed Clare Kinney.....I have no idea why they are doing it the way they are doing it. Seems like they send out ten emails and then the computer crashes for a week. 

Edited by Rootbound

21 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

yes, some overlap! Clare Kinney was on my list (RIP to all my dreams there :(). all very interesting. I mean, mostly frustrating... but interesting! the handful of rejections a day thing is just. argh. why?? all my other rejections have been so timely and this one is killing me!

Just now, Rootbound said:

Shaggy is still here! I am early modern, and also listed Clare Kinney.....

Oh, hey Shaggy! 3 of us is nice - the more the merrier. The Clare Kinney overlap is curious. SHE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT IF IT WEREN'T FOR US PESKY KIDS.

To me suggests either that the MEM rejections are rolling out later, or that they don't have offer acceptances from all their primary MEM offers yet and therefore that unofficial waitlist is still hanging around waiting. Hmmmm. I guess we wait together (im)patiently and see. Fingers still crossed for y'all!

5 minutes ago, Rootbound said:

Shaggy is still here! I am early modern, and also listed Clare Kinney.....I have no idea why they are doing it the way they are doing it. Seems like they send out ten emails and then the computer crashes for a week. 

I'm not a medievalist (but y'all seem great!) and STILL haven't heard anything either. Still waiting for any word...

8 minutes ago, Rootbound said:

that last line is 100% my actual theory for this, ha. it makes no sense! it’s like they send off two rejections, get sick of it, and punt the rest of us to the next day. I feel like we’re all on the brink of devolving further into detailed conspiracy theories with every passing day, too. today we’re comparing POIs, tomorrow we’ll be analyzing how many times we used the letter E in our personal statements, wednesday we’ll be filming “please notify me of my status” interpretive dance videos... 

4 minutes ago, dreampigeon said:

I'm not a medievalist (but y'all seem great!) and STILL haven't heard anything either. Still waiting for any word...

Hmmm hmm hmm. It wasn't the swamp monster (side note that seems like an unfair name to call Clare Kinney who seems v. lovely but...) after all, then. Man, I'm fed up with this. (I mean, my partner and family are fed up with this just from me saying how much I'm fed up with this lol.) I just want my rejections all done and tidy and everything sorted and apparently I'm going to whine incessantly til then!

Just now, amphilanthus said:

wednesday we’ll be filming “please notify me of my status” interpretive dance videos... 

If we do this as a team, maybe they'll be soooo impressed they just admit us all instantly, no questions asked??

1 minute ago, jillcicle said:

If we do this as a team, maybe they'll be soooo impressed they just admit us all instantly, no questions asked??

yes! clearly this is the only reasonable course of action left to us, I see no flaws in this plan

15 hours ago, rr732 said:

Has anyone gotten word on funding from temple? I’m hoping to hear this week but am feeling paranoid that funding offers have gone out already...

Haven't heard anything; as it's the only school I've been accepted to I'm also REALLY hoping to be offered something! Fingers crossed for both of us!

25 minutes ago, tcatherine said:

Haven't heard anything; as it's the only school I've been accepted to I'm also REALLY hoping to be offered something! Fingers crossed for both of us!

Ah fingers crossed for us!!