2019 Applicants

Just now, Bopie5 said:

Awww wow heart warmed!! I missed you too--part of why I had to pop back by honestly.

Heart warmed also!!! Please keep us (me) updated on your plans for the next year. Especially if you go to Ireland (have you been before??? I’ve been a few times and it’s legit the best place in the world imo). Also if you want to keep swapping creative work and edits, I’m super down! 

9 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Heart warmed also!!! Please keep us (me) updated on your plans for the next year. Especially if you go to Ireland (have you been before??? I’ve been a few times and it’s legit the best place in the world imo). Also if you want to keep swapping creative work and edits, I’m super down! 

I will absolutely! The program seems like a really good fit for me. Do you know where you're leaning for your decision for next year?

And I LOVE Ireland--I spent almost three weeks there on my semester abroad. I really hope that I can go back *crosses fingers*

Oh my gosh, would definitely love swapping creative work--shoot me an email!

6 hours ago, sadgworl said:

hi all! newcomer here! glad to have found this space, which seems a bit more inviting than those results boards.... yikes.

so i'm currently looking at one acceptance to my last choice school (i'm waiting to hear from two other schools, but not holding my breath any longer). the school i've been accepted to is a decent school - top 20, but not top 10 like the other schools i applied to. so, i'm not a shut out. but do people decline and apply again, even if they got into a decent school? i just let my hopes get raised and now feel confused about whether it was my materials that kept me from being accepted in more places, or if was truly just a numbers game that i lost (and lost, and lost, and lost). 

i know you only need one but... what if the one you get is the one you wanted the least? is it a pride thing for me to swallow, or do people really reapply next cycle and do better? these are my existential questions lmao

anyways, any insight would be great, my new internet friends!

also, EDIT: my mentor said my program i've been admitted to is a top 20 program, not anything specific or grounded in data. so it's entirely possible he was assuaging my deep existential worries but id prefer to believe him ?

23 minutes ago, sadgworl said:

also, EDIT: my mentor said my program i've been admitted to is a top 20 program, not anything specific or grounded in data. so it's entirely possible he was assuaging my deep existential worries but id prefer to believe him ?

I think it's important to note that a "top 20" program can look very different depending on who's applying. Some programs are known well for very specific fields even if they're ranked "lower". Fit is often considered important because happiness will allow you to produce much stronger work.

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

I will absolutely! The program seems like a really good fit for me. Do you know where you're leaning for your decision for next year?

And I LOVE Ireland--I spent almost three weeks there on my semester abroad. I really hope that I can go back *crosses fingers*

Oh my gosh, would definitely love swapping creative work--shoot me an email!

Everything is still so up in the air for me...I'm just hoping I have a choice to make.  Every program I'm waitlisted to/interviewing at have their real pros and cons.  Honestly I just hope I get to go somewhere.

Ireland is seriously the best!  I've got my fingers crossed for you, of course.

I'm going to send you my 2019 poetry doc!  I really loved getting your feedback last time.

@warelin I fully plan on remaining active here whether I get in this time or not.  But I doubt I'll ever be the wealth of info and encouragement you have been!  I'll try my best, though.

21 hours ago, amphilanthus said:

still nothing here, too, and still going crazy over it! just want to officially be done.

@Ubah1 I hope you hear back from your department soon with great news! fingers crossed. sadly we’re on the English side of things here, and they’ve said all acceptances/waitlists are out - just rolling out bad news at a glacial pace for whatever reason :(

My department said they are still in the process of admission and will round up everything this month. So am keeping my fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

it's nice to still see you here @jadeisokay and @Bopie5!

5 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

@Bopie5 and @jadeisokay can I just say I missed you both and I’m really happy to see you both back here.

Seconding these sentiments, especially since you guys have been here since the early days of this thread! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all your backup plans work out for you, and perhaps we might see each other here again next year — hopefully with better news re: phd apps. 

(I don't know when I'll sign out of this site proper, since I've gotten so invested in everyone else's applications, but I really ought to soon -- maybe after Harvard officially lets me go -- to get my thesis done ?. I'll probably be back in the summer though, to seek out advice on reapplying, so if anyone has any tips on reformulating SoPs, or on any part of the application process for that matter, I'd be your more than willing audience!) 

8 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Yeah, I can definitely see that about Villanova in terms of your interests. There were a few good 20th/21st c fem/gen people there, and their summer theatre program in Ireland seemed really ideal for me. I had a phone call with the program director and he seemed great, so I'm hopeful!

Ooof I hope you enjoy that vacation. I'm leaving for vacation in a week and I'm feeling the exact same way. Keep us updated on the teaching fellowship!

I know we haven't talked really on the forum, but I also applied to villanova's MA program and I was also interested in the Dublin summer program! Irish drama is my thing and the program director was so helpful and friendly! If things work out that way maybe we will be cohort mates :)

On 2/27/2019 at 3:42 AM, Matthew3957 said:

Rejection from U Victoria came through....

but I also got email from UCSC saying they had some good news for a phone call... could it be really good news?

Wow, that must be some good news.

I didn't hear anything from this school yet. I got a little nervous :mellow:

With what @Warelin said, I think I’ll stop by next year for a bit! Not sure how much advice I can offer in 2020, but hopefully I’ll be a wise ol’ first year grad student and can answer at least some questions. I think I’ll utilitize other areas of this forum during the school year since I can’t text my mentor for every “should I email them this or this?” question, lol. This has been such a great resource! I’ve always heard such bad things about GradCafe, and while the results boards can really make you spiral in your own anxiety, I’ve found the forums have been nothing but positive and helpful. I wonder if other disciplines are also like this? I was poking around and noticed that this section is pretty active compared to others. 

Edited by trytostay

2 hours ago, Anonymouse124 said:

Does anyone know where to find that list of things to consider/ask faculty and grad students on prospective visits? I've been searching for ages and haven't been able to find it! Thanks in advance!!! 

Go back a couple pages to page 98– @trytostay linked to a thorough list of questions from another board!!

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering if I can get your thoughts on this. So, I'm Canadian and moved to Boston to pursue an MA. Since graduating, I've been working in Boston for two years. This is my first round of PhD applications. 

The biggest thought running through my head is, "what if this isn't right?" What if making some changes would have affected all of these results and I would've gotten in to other schools? I'm not ungrateful for my acceptances - in fact, I'm SO grateful for them! - but I did expect more (too naive?) and I had certain dream schools that I was so confident I'd get into... on top of that, I know I applied to schools across North America, but I didn't really ever think I'd be leaving the northeast, let alone likely leaving the country. I'm struggling pretty hard with all of this right now. 

The idea of leaving Boston is heartbreaking to me and with my UConn rejection late last week, it finally hit me that I'd be totally leaving this area. I don't think I had ever fully wrapped my mind around that. 

Some non-academia friends keep bringing up that I should just stay and not pursue a PhD... one of my other dreams is to open a bookstore, so they keep telling me to keep working here until I can fulfill that dream. But I'm on a TN work visa which is limiting and I'm currently working as a tutor and a part-time RA. I don't think I'd be able to keep that up for next few years AND a PhD/academia is my dream, as well.

I don't know what to do. I guess I just needed to let that all out. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. :) 

EDIT to add that I know I have 3 American schools still in the running but I likely won't go to them, even if I get accepted, because my mom's health isn't great and I'd like to stay within driving distance/quick flight distance to her in Montreal. 

Edited by effietheant

6 hours ago, flungoutofspace said:

Seconding these sentiments, especially since you guys have been here since the early days of this thread! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all your backup plans work out for you, and perhaps we might see each other here again next year — hopefully with better news re: phd apps. 

(I don't know when I'll sign out of this site proper, since I've gotten so invested in everyone else's applications, but I really ought to soon -- maybe after Harvard officially lets me go -- to get my thesis done ?. I'll probably be back in the summer though, to seek out advice on reapplying, so if anyone has any tips on reformulating SoPs, or on any part of the application process for that matter, I'd be your more than willing audience!) 

Thank you friend ☺️ I'm really sad that the cycle didn't shake out the way that we hoped for either of us. What's your backup plans looking like?

Good luck with your thesis, and I may be in the same boat regarding being back in the summer! Don't give up--my advisor says over half of the faculty in our English department are people who were shutout on the first attempt and accepted on the second!

3 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

I know we haven't talked really on the forum, but I also applied to villanova's MA program and I was also interested in the Dublin summer program! Irish drama is my thing and the program director was so helpful and friendly! If things work out that way maybe we will be cohort mates :)

Hi! Ah, wasn't Dr. Radcliffe so nice!? I was shocked at the time and energy he put into both emails and the phone call. He seems really awesome, and the program ethos seems so supportive. 

Fingers crossed that we will be funded cohort mates, and get to meet in person! And maybe go to Dublin!? So cool that Irish drama is your thing--you've got a lot of good faculty and resources there then.

Just now, Bopie5 said:

Hi! Ah, wasn't Dr. Radcliffe so nice!? I was shocked at the time and energy he put into both emails and the phone call. He seems really awesome, and the program ethos seems so supportive. 

Fingers crossed that we will be funded cohort mates, and get to meet in person! And maybe go to Dublin!? So cool that Irish drama is your thing--you've got a lot of good faculty and resources there then.

Yes! I was so surprised at how quickly he responded and how friendly he was. I definitely asked about the Dublin program! That would be amazing. And yeah, I don't know how I missed the program earlier. Fingers crossed for the both of us :)

7 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Thank you friend ☺️ I'm really sad that the cycle didn't shake out the way that we hoped for either of us. What's your backup plans looking like?

Good luck with your thesis, and I may be in the same boat regarding being back in the summer! Don't give up--my advisor says over half of the faculty in our English department are people who were shutout on the first attempt and accepted on the second!

Apropos of nothing, I don't really post here that much, and I guess you should take a random comment from a stranger for what it's worth, but:  I'm absolutely positive you will end up as a professor somewhere if you're determined to make it work.  I'm older, so I'm in a different boat, but you have so much time to try to reach your dream.  There's no way to say that without sounding patronizing, but I'm just trying to articulate that while the disappointment must sting now, any setbacks you're having are temporary for someone as focused and bright as you seem to be.  (And by the by, I'm not sure what the protocol around this is, but I think it would be really instructive for you to get some feedback from admissions committees on your package if possible, because there's a good chance they'd point you to something concrete and fixable.)

Just now, Bopie5 said:

I am gutted for the both of us too... Though at this point, having done more work on my thesis and gotten a stronger hold on my areas of interest, I'm also quite excited to reapply, knowing that I'll likely be a stronger applicant the second time round! (To be honest, my heart aches most for the exorbitant application fees that have gone down the drain, because that really!! wasn't!! cheap!!! The time and effort that I've spent on my applications hardly feel wasted since I've learned so much about myself, my interests, and academia through this process.) 

As for my backup plans, I'm not too sure about them yet. I'll be taking a month-long break right after I graduate, just to give myself some breathing room and space to refocus. Beyond that, I might take up either an editorial or a publishing internship (I'm currently looking at one with Taylor and Francis), because if academia doesn't work out for me, I'd probably like to work in those fields anyway. 

Thank you for your well-wishes, and all the best to you with your future plans! (Also, can I just reiterate how much I enjoyed reading your writing sample? I've bought a copy of My Name is Asher Lev as a result, and it's now on my TBR pile, which I'll definitely get to after the semester ends.) 

58 minutes ago, Renzo said:

Apropos of nothing, I don't really post here that much, and I guess you should take a random comment from a stranger for what it's worth, but:  I'm absolutely positive you will end up as a professor somewhere if you're determined to make it work.  I'm older, so I'm in a different boat, but you have so much time to try to reach your dream.  There's no way to say that without sounding patronizing, but I'm just trying to articulate that while the disappointment must sting now, any setbacks you're having are temporary for someone as focused and bright as you seem to be.  (And by the by, I'm not sure what the protocol around this is, but I think it would be really instructive for you to get some feedback from admissions committees on your package if possible, because there's a good chance they'd point you to something concrete and fixable.)

Wow, thank you so much for this--might copy paste and save this so I can read it whenever I'm feeling discouraged! You don't sound patronizing at all, this is actually really encouraging. It's good to hear from someone older that there is so much time. I think on the days I got my rejections it felt like the end of my dream. But now that the sting has faded a bit, I know this is just a roadblock and not a end-all be-all. Thank you ☺️

55 minutes ago, flungoutofspace said:

I am gutted for the both of us too... Though at this point, having done more work on my thesis and gotten a stronger hold on my areas of interest, I'm also quite excited to reapply, knowing that I'll likely be a stronger applicant the second time round! (To be honest, my heart aches most for the exorbitant application fees that have gone down the drain, because that really!! wasn't!! cheap!!! The time and effort that I've spent on my applications hardly feel wasted since I've learned so much about myself, my interests, and academia through this process.) 

As for my backup plans, I'm not too sure about them yet. I'll be taking a month-long break right after I graduate, just to give myself some breathing room and space to refocus. Beyond that, I might take up either an editorial or a publishing internship (I'm currently looking at one with Taylor and Francis), because if academia doesn't work out for me, I'd probably like to work in those fields anyway. 

Thank you for your well-wishes, and all the best to you with your future plans! (Also, can I just reiterate how much I enjoyed reading your writing sample? I've bought a copy of My Name is Asher Lev as a result, and it's now on my TBR pile, which I'll definitely get to after the semester ends.) 

That's exactly how I'm feeling! Even when pulling together my Villanova app, I realized how much I'd grown and become more focused in the last few months. But I feel the same way about the money too. I look at my bank account and realize that I could have about $900 more in there...eeeek.

I'm taking a month long break regardless too. Fingers crossed for a good internship for you! 

And re: the writing sample--this warmed my heart extremely this morning! I hope you enjoy Asher Lev. Affirmation on the WS means more than you know right now!

Omg it's good to see you active again @Bopie5

From time to time I was thinking (while doing the infamous 24/7 e-mail refresh) 'wait... how did they get shutout, their posts basically already read like a graduate student confident and placed in their field already. wtf, how did this happen.' Seriously, your posts and your WS show so much potential and you've done so much juggling applications with everything else. I was thinking at least one of the schools you applied to would say yes, but tbh it really does reinforce just how arbitrary and just how difficult this process can be sometimes.

(also I feel you on the bank account. I'm about $1,250-$1,300 in the red. ETS, subject tests, score reports, and their prices. lol.)

Good luck on Villanova :) Fingers crossed you end up in an awesome PhD program in the future, whether that be with a Master's from Villanova (and if Villanova is a yes, the funding better be there) or next year, whenever it may be.

Edited by Ranmaag

So... I am still waiting on the UCSC call. I told the POI that they can call anytime before 230pm PT this week. I figured since I got the email and responded early Tuesday I might hear back that day or the next. I was thinking if I don't hear from them today I should follow-up tomorrow, but I also realize "this week" could be Friday or Sunday. I have an international number so that might be part of the issue. I guess I should just be patient, but I figured following up might be best. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Matthew3957 said:

So... I am still waiting on the UCSC call. I told the POI that they can call anytime before 230pm PT this week. I figured since I got the email and responded early Tuesday I might hear back that day or the next. I was thinking if I don't hear from them today I should follow-up tomorrow, but I also realize "this week" could be Friday or Sunday. I have an international number so that might be part of the issue. I guess I should just be patient, but I figured following up might be best. Thoughts?

i feel like waiting a week since you received the initial email is safe to follow up, but that might just be me.