2019 Applicants

30 minutes ago, eddyrynes said:

At least they notified you? Haha. I checked the portal after seeing the results board and got the same callous one-liner. Oh well ?‍♂️

oh no it was a total portal check after seeing other portal checks lol but then I also got an email around 10:00am today

1 hour ago, effietheant said:

Does anyone have any news on Utah or Florida? I saw some Florida acceptances go up yesterday, so am wondering if I should consider it an implied rejection or not.. ! 

I was one of the Florida acceptances! Don’t know if they’re done notifying or if they’ve sent out waitlist emails yet, but I got an email from the DGS saying my offer letter was in the mail. Good luck to you!!

Just now, breemartini said:

Is anyone else still waiting on UC Davis, NYU, or Brown PhD? Still haven't heard a thing from any of these programs ?

Nothing from NYU and UC Davis yet. Don’t know about Davis but certainly a rejection at NYU! Apparently for Davis, it isn’t a rejection until it is one. 

5 minutes ago, breemartini said:

Is anyone else still waiting on UC Davis, NYU, or Brown PhD? Still haven't heard a thing from any of these programs ?

Same with Davis for me. Like @santraash mentioned I get the impression that's kinda how they do waitlists/rejections but I would say it means most likely a rejection as they've sent out acceptances.

11 minutes ago, Anaanu said:

Anyone heard from or checked in with Bucknell regarding the MA program?  Last year they released acceptances on March 1.  I'm curious when they will send letters this year.

I'd like to know this as well. Based on their old-timey application process, I think we must be prepared to receive notice via carrier pigeon. 

Poll for other Portland State University Fall 2019 applicants. Trying to weigh my options before the April 15th deadline and not knowing for certain what the funding situation will be makes it practically impossible! Any information would make me (and I'm sure other stressed-out applicants) indebtedly grateful!?

Edited by A_N_M

9 minutes ago, MaoistTowelette said:

I'd like to know this as well. Based on their old-timey application process, I think we must be prepared to receive notice via carrier pigeon. 

Haha.  That's funny.  Yeah, I find the school's approach charming, though I've been mistakenly watching for smoke signals.

I applied to two schools, and only Bucknell for a field in the humanities.  My writing sample does not fit squarely into 'literary studies.'  Hence, I have no idea how the professors will react to it.  I'm unsure what to expect.

24 minutes ago, A_N_M said:

Poll for other Portland State University Fall 2019 applicants. Trying to weigh my options before the April 15th deadline and not knowing for certain what the funding situation will be makes it practically impossible! Any information would make me (and I'm sure other stressed-out applicants) indebtedly grateful!?

Hey! I just was notified I was #1 on the waitlist for funding. If I get off I am most likely going there, assuming none of my other waitlisted programs end up accepting me. I can always keep you updated!

3 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Hey! I just was notified I was #1 on the waitlist for funding. If I get off I am most likely going there, assuming none of my other waitlisted programs end up accepting me. I can always keep you updated!

That would be awesome! Thanks for the info (and congrats!). Here is a link to the poll that somehow got cut out, so you can see what other responses come in: 

2 minutes ago, A_N_M said:

That would be awesome! Thanks for the info (and congrats!). Here is a link to the poll that somehow got cut out, so you can see what other responses come in: 

Thanks so much!

Totally unrelated but the hotel SMU put interviewees up at is also being used for some kind of last round regional audition for Project Runway (overhead in hotel tavern yesterday). now as I’m waiting in the lobby for my shuttle to the airport I’m surrounded by over the top dressed creative types and the most obvious production assistant I’ve ever seen running around between them. I’ve been watching old seasons of PR the last few weeks trying to distract myself from the stress of waiting for results and now I’m trying to figure out if this is a good sign or a really, really bad one ?

5 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I’ve been watching old seasons of PR the last few weeks trying to distract myself from the stress of waiting for results and now I’m trying to figure out if this is a good sign

It is the BEST sign!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

Totally unrelated but the hotel SMU put interviewees up at is also being used for some kind of last round regional audition for Project Runway (overhead in hotel tavern yesterday). now as I’m waiting in the lobby for my shuttle to the airport I’m surrounded by over the top dressed creative types and the most obvious production assistant I’ve ever seen running around between them. I’ve been watching old seasons of PR the last few weeks trying to distract myself from the stress of waiting for results and now I’m trying to figure out if this is a good sign or a really, really bad one ?

Wishing you luck!! Hope you hear great news on Friday :)

Hi all. Tomorrow I'm talking with a PoI who says he has good news on my app. Is there anything I should be prepared for on the call or I should definitely bring up? I've seen the campus visit Q&A but not sure of the etiquette here. I have a good idea of how I'll handle it all already, but some advice would be awesome. 

@Matthew3957 assuming it's an acceptance because it'd be crazy mean to call you like this for anything less, i guess i'd suggest preparing by trying to find any gaps in info provided online. is their PhD handbook readily available? placement info? funding info (if they say "TAships" what does that actually entail)? perhaps also ask to be put in touch with a current student? i feel like you don't have to pressure yourself too much with having to make it a conversation or ask a ton of questions--you can always follow-up by email and it's better to have those answers in writing anyway lol

On 3/1/2019 at 10:25 AM, Ranmaag said:

Omg it's good to see you active again @Bopie5

From time to time I was thinking (while doing the infamous 24/7 e-mail refresh) 'wait... how did they get shutout, their posts basically already read like a graduate student confident and placed in their field already. wtf, how did this happen.' Seriously, your posts and your WS show so much potential and you've done so much juggling applications with everything else. I was thinking at least one of the schools you applied to would say yes, but tbh it really does reinforce just how arbitrary and just how difficult this process can be sometimes.

(also I feel you on the bank account. I'm about $1,250-$1,300 in the red. ETS, subject tests, score reports, and their prices. lol.)

Good luck on Villanova :) Fingers crossed you end up in an awesome PhD program in the future, whether that be with a Master's from Villanova (and if Villanova is a yes, the funding better be there) or next year, whenever it may be.

Ah, truly, you don't know what this means to me. I've saved this and reread it a few times whenever I feel discouraged about the wait to hear from Villanova. Thank you for the affirmation and for the well wishes! I have my fingers crossed! 

Also, the ETS thing--so real. I didn't try for fee waivers this year, and that's a big regret. The bank account hit is almost insult to injury after a shutout...

Excited to see what happens for you at Irvine! Can't wait to hear about how your research develops, as I also love your interest areas!

On 3/2/2019 at 1:13 AM, flungoutofspace said:

Yes! I must say, the process of applying to grad schools was invaluable in compelling me to hone my research focus for my honours thesis much earlier than I was expected to (I mean, having to describe my project in my SoPs did acquaint me pretty well with its central ideas), so at the moment, I am much less frazzled about it than my peers. Still, it's an experience for which I've had to fork out just about as much as you did... (Imagine how many books one can buy with that $900!! ??) (I'm really not looking forward to lining ETS's pockets again.) 

And yes, do take some time off! We certainly deserve it after all the stress that we've put ourselves through, not to mention that breaks will only be harder and harder to come by as one progresses through grad school and beyond. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you as well wrt Villanova, esp since the program seems so perfectly suited to your areas of interest! I really can't wait to see what you'll accomplish in the future! 

I didn't even THINK of how many books $900 is. Now I'm picturing the 40-90 books that could have been ?

We really do deserve what breaks we can take. I hope you can give yourself some rest as you prepare for the next cycle and pursue new and interim things. Truly wishing you the best as well--hope I get to keep reading your work.