2019 Applicants

I emailed Berkeley last week asking 1) if it would be appropriate that anyone who hasn't received an acceptance should consider themselves waitlisted and/or rejected, and 2) if there was a more clear timeline of when applicants should expect to receive official notification. The response I got today stated that yes, they "have begun to make [their] initial offers of admission" and that final notifications will go out in April. 

Make of that what you will!

21 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

The response I got today stated that yes, they "have begun to make [their] initial offers of admission" and that final notifications will go out in April. 

Begun to make initial offers? Didn't they inform people weeks ago?

15 minutes ago, Matthew3957 said:

Rejection from U Victoria came through....

but I also got email from UCSC saying they had some good news for a phone call... could it be really good news?

for a phone call sounds like it’s gonna be great news :) fingers crossed!

8 minutes ago, Anonymouse124 said:

Begun to make initial offers? Didn't they inform people weeks ago?

There were some posted to the board during the first week in February, then additional ones came through 7-10 days later. No one has posted about a waitlist or rejection, but that's fairly typical if you check the board for previous years' notification dates.

ETA: I just thought the phrasing was kind of strange, honestly. It's one of the better non-answers I've seen in a while.

Edited by vondafkossum

17 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

it'd be... weird if they called you with bad news?!

"Hey Matt just wanted to give you a quick call and let you know personally that we don't want you. Best of luck in all your future endeavors." *CLICK*

17 minutes ago, Matthew3957 said:

"Hey Matt just wanted to give you a quick call and let you know personally that we don't want you. Best of luck in all your future endeavors." *CLICK*

Haha, yeah, pretty sure calls are for good news. Unless they hate you personally, but hey, I don't know your story! ?

30 minutes ago, cooldinosaur said:

Hello everyone!

Newcomer here. Applied to PhDs in English and NYU is the only one I haven't heard from yet. Has anybody heard from them? Apparently they've accepted some people about 10 days ago. Could it take them that long to figure out who to put on their waiting list?

Thanks ?

I haven’t heard anything yet. If you don’t already have an MA, they might be considering you for the MA program. Every year it seems like they extend that offer to some PhD applicants. 

Just now, natalielouise said:

I haven’t heard anything yet. If you don’t already have an MA, they might be considering you for the MA program. Every year it seems like they extend that offer to some PhD applicants. 

I already have one! Given the obviously tiny sizes of the cohorts, I'm guessing they've already decided on who they've accepted (since four people here said they got positive results) and they are making up their wait list. Or maybe their interface just takes forever to update and send out rejections? 

Seems crazy that it would take so long between the first wave of positive decisions and everything else, but apparently that's how it was on previous years as well ?

2 minutes ago, cooldinosaur said:

I already have one! Given the obviously tiny sizes of the cohorts, I'm guessing they've already decided on who they've accepted (since four people here said they got positive results) and they are making up their wait list. Or maybe their interface just takes forever to update and send out rejections? 

Seems crazy that it would take so long between the first wave of positive decisions and everything else, but apparently that's how it was on previous years as well ?

Yeah I also have my MA and am thinking rejection! My first time around it took a long time to get an official rejection after they sent out acceptances ? good luck to you though!!! 

1 hour ago, vondafkossum said:

I emailed Berkeley last week asking 1) if it would be appropriate that anyone who hasn't received an acceptance should consider themselves waitlisted and/or rejected, and 2) if there was a more clear timeline of when applicants should expect to receive official notification. The response I got today stated that yes, they "have begun to make [their] initial offers of admission" and that final notifications will go out in April. 

Make of that what you will!

This is just silliness 

1 minute ago, natalielouise said:

Yeah I also have my MA and am thinking rejection! My first time around it took a long time to get an official rejection after they sent out acceptances ? good luck to you though!!! 

Thank you, good luck to you too!! :) So this is the second time you apply to PhDs? Do you remember approximately by what time you got the official rejection? I'm assuming the same for myself, but I don't want to accept anything else until I've heard about every school I've applied to. I'm a foreign student and with visas to think about and plan ahead for, having an idea of when things happen really helps a lot! 

so uh harvard is out - my friend got in and has been sweeping the board in harvard, yale, columbia lmfao

even though im not a shutout, it looks like i'll be declining for this year and applying again next year, anyone else?

12 minutes ago, optimistic_nihilist said:

so uh harvard is out - my friend got in and has been sweeping the board in harvard, yale, columbia lmfao

even though im not a shutout, it looks like i'll be declining for this year and applying again next year, anyone else?

Do you know if the decisions came out today? Not seeing it on the board yet. 

Good for your friend, that's super badass. Out of curiosity, what's his/her field? 

Echo-ing the other questions and also, was the notifcation from today? And a call or email? 

28 minutes ago, optimistic_nihilist said:

Oh my god your friend is slaying O_O Congrats to them. Out of HYPC, they just swept 3/4ths of that Ivy square. I am in awe.

alright... I didn't apply to Harvard and this is my irrational side talking but this is only making my e-mail anxiety worse. I try to not to link Harvard and Yale together but if Harvard starts rejecting people later on tonight... what is going on at Yale? o_O

kind of in the same boat, contemplating declining my current offer and taking on another path actually (and possibly applying when I'm older instead of going in now, or just pursue my love of poetry in another way, and I say that knowing I'll probably change enough by the time I'm 27/28 that I won't really feel that need/'fire' to pursue grad school)... jury's still out on that. I've been ping-ponging back and forth.

(EDIT: saw a Harvard acceptance on the board. Whoever they are, congratulations!!!)

Edited by Ranmaag

5 minutes ago, Ranmaag said:

Oh my god your friend is slaying O_O Congrats to them. Out of HYPC, they just swept 3/4ths of that Ivy square. I am in awe.

alright... I didn't apply to Harvard and this is my irrational side but this is only making my e-mail anxiety worse. I try to not to link Harvard and Yale together but if Harvard starts rejecting people later on tonight... what is going on at Yale? o_O

kind of in the same boat, contemplating declining my current offer and taking on another path actually (and possibly applying when I'm older instead of going in now, or just pursue my love of poetry in another way, and I say that knowing I'll probably change enough by the time I'm 27/28 that I won't really feel that need/'fire' to pursue grad school)... jury's still out on that. I've been ping-ponging back and forth.

UC Irvine is such a great school though! You should definitely consider it, if it matches with your research interests of course.

1 minute ago, Ranmaag said:

alright... I didn't apply to Harvard and this is my irrational side but this is only making my e-mail anxiety worse. I try to not to link Harvard and Yale together but if Harvard starts rejecting people now... what is going on at Yale? o_O

If it's any help, in my experience being on the wait for results tends to radically alter one's judgement… Almost did the same thing and went another path and then realized I really did want to do a PhD. Maybe you do want to do something else, I obviously wouldn't know, but unless you have strong rational reasons to think you should NOT accept the offer you have so far, try clearing your head and let your anxiety cool down first. Just wait and see, it's not even March yet ?