2019 Applicants

Whichever of you posted this for your UPenn rejection: 

"We received many excellent applications this year. Like, soooo many. Aw man, you should've seen 'em! WHEW! . . . Uh, yeah. Sorry about YOUR app, by the way."

100% my admissions season...

Hey all, lurker here! Just curious if anyone has applied to Fordham this cycle and received any information from them. It seems like Fordham released their acceptances and waitlist around this time (if not earlier) in previous years. Rejections seem to have gone out in March. But it's been radio silence on the results board this year. Wondering if I got rejected or if they still haven't made any decisions :/.

1 minute ago, Clarara said:

Hey all, lurker here! Just curious if anyone has applied to Fordham this cycle and received any information from them. It seems like Fordham released their acceptances and waitlist around this time (if not earlier) in previous years. Rejections seem to have gone out in March. But it's been radio silence on the results board this year. Wondering if I got rejected or if they still haven't made any decisions :/.

I haven't heard anything from them either, for what it's worth. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Clarara said:

I applied to Fordham, and I’m also yet to hear anything.  

Has anyone received any news from Yale (rejection or otherwise)? I see there are three acceptances on the board (congratulations, you guys!!) but it's been a blank slate since. So weird considering last year's rejections came out around the same time as the acceptances. Would appreciate some insight (or even commiseration) on this!!

41 minutes ago, Anonymouse124 said:

Has anyone received any news from Yale (rejection or otherwise)? I see there are three acceptances on the board (congratulations, you guys!!) but it's been a blank slate since. So weird considering last year's rejections came out around the same time as the acceptances. Would appreciate some insight (or even commiseration) on this!!

Personally, I'm just going to count it as an implied rejection. I can't handle the idea of this application cycle not being over yet, lol. It's exhausting and I'm ready to move on.

5 minutes ago, trytostay said:

Personally, I'm just going to count it as an implied rejection. I can't handle the idea of this application cycle not being over yet, lol. It's exhausting and I'm ready to move on.

You’ve really had an excellent application season, so I’m sure you can enjoy the closure!  You really sent out some fantastic apps and caught some big fish!  

Just now, MetaphysicalDrama said:

You’ve really had an excellent application season, so I’m sure you can enjoy the closure!  You really sent out some fantastic apps and caught some big fish!  

Thank you SO much! That is so sweet. I feel proud, but also lucky. So much of this is random and we're all going in blind to a certain degree. Thank you again!! :)

My partner checked the school's website today, and it is completely different from last time. It is now showing student email and a registration tab, among other stuff that I would generally expect to see on a student access site.

However, there has been no word, one way or the other, about her acceptance from the university.

We are cautiously optimistic that this means acceptance, but it's really hard not to get our hopes up. Has anyone else been in this situation before? If so, how did it turn out? Thanks!!! 

1 hour ago, Anonymouse124 said:

The idealistic side of me with a lot of hope: maybe Yale's still deciding the rest of their cohort? and we still have a shot?

The cynical/realistic side of me: something's happened in their administration (either GSAS or English dept side) to cause a delay in sending rejections. That's as far as I want to guess though. If they stick with previous statistics, that's only 15 e-mails to send and there were no phone call acceptances (a deviation from last year). Anecdata with other schools: Irvine was in contact with their acceptances since early February and it took them until Feb 21 to send rejections, maybe Yale's doing so but under a more contracted schedule? (either way it's high time we hear news). And this year it seems that a lot of the UCs basically held acceptance/rejection patterns like that (except UCLA).

Someone here contacted Yale GSAS and said that the English department was still reviewing apps. I'm not sure what to make of the answer, but to that person, thank you thank you thank you.

I would love to hold onto hope. Yale's been my dream school since I was noticing that I was consistently citing and seeing one of their professor's works consistently appear in my field-specific essays and database searches for my research. To have that prof as my advisor/dissertation chair would be a dream come true x1000, but alas. I'm still on radio silence and anxious portal checking rn.

Good luck to you, and to everyone applying to Yale :)

Edited by Ranmaag

4 minutes ago, trytostay said:

No, in past years its been Thursday-Sunday calls!

Thank you! I’m not going to hope too much but good to know. Do you know anything about cohort size? 

Edited by swarthmawr

Is it considered common for people to choose which school they’d like to attend in the final week before the April 15 deadline? Both the programs I’ve been accepted to so far have their events in the first week of April, and I would prefer to make my decision after visiting both, but I also don’t want to keep a slot open for someone who might really want it in the school I won’t be attending. 

@toxicmoss If both programs are genuinely interesting to you, then there's really nothing you can do but wait to make a decision until after visits. you really get an enormous amount of information out of them that i don't think you can get any other way. 

4 hours ago, toxicmoss said:

Is it considered common for people to choose which school they’d like to attend in the final week before the April 15 deadline? Both the programs I’ve been accepted to so far have their events in the first week of April, and I would prefer to make my decision after visiting both, but I also don’t want to keep a slot open for someone who might really want it in the school I won’t be attending. 

If you are torn I’d say wait. If you are fairly certain which one you’d prefer perhaps choose now to free up a spot. My thought is to choose as soon as you know, be it before or after visit, in February or on April 15th.

6 hours ago, toxicmoss said:

but I also don’t want to keep a slot open for someone who might really want it in the school I won’t be attending

@toxicmoss 

I think it’s so kind for you to think about others here!

Speaking as someone waitlisted last year and this year at multiple schools.....this is your shot!! You worked hard for it, and you earned it!! Take all the time you need!

Last year, I didn’t get my final rejection from a school until early May, after being waitlisted early February. The limbo is tough, but I’m genuinely excited for people when they get accepted and want them to make the best choice for them.

Good luck!!

On 2/22/2019 at 5:35 PM, amphilanthus said:

it’s like they’re doing rejections one at a time... but only for an hour once a week, and when time runs out we get punted to the next week’s Happy Fun Rejection Hour! totally bizarre to me. would do anything to just receive a generic form letter!

Lmao this is exactly it. I assume I'll see you all for Happy Fun Rejection Hour next week ?. (Hopefully, at least some of us with good news! I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone.) 

11 hours ago, toxicmoss said:

I personally think visiting if you’re able to is so, SO key. I visited all the MA programs i was accepted to a few years ago and so far, this year, have visited 5 PhD programs (I’m including the interview/recruitment hybrids). There were places where I got an instant feeling I wouldn’t fit there, despite being a good fit on paper, and the longer I spent there the stronger the feeling became OR something happened to turn that feeling around. There were other programs where I didn’t think the fit as strong as others, but when I went there, found there had been resources and profs I had overlooked and wound up loving it. There were other places where I clicked so well with professors and easily spoke to them for an hour + and other places where conversations were forced and awkward and ended quickly. There is also the city fit to consider as well! It’s a long commitment and I think the city you live in is a big factor to consider too! 

I have been accepted to several programs and waitlisted at a few and will by all means decline places I’ve ruled out within the next week or so, but for the top two or three, while i am planning to make a decision before April 15 to give others time, I am not going to make a decision without all the facts and conversations I need. I think accepting a little before April 15 is both helpful to others but also gives you time to make a thorough decision. But I don’t think you must push it far earlier than a *little* before the 15, especially with visiting days so late. I definitely and strongly encourage visiting both, if you can, before making a call!