2019 Applicants

40 minutes ago, stressbot3000 said:

Also realized I didn’t ask to not be admitted to the MA so that could be the situation?

I asked to not be admitted to the MA bc I already have a Master's. But radio silence for me too. 

40 minutes ago, WildeingOut said:

Does anyone know how much age and professional experience matter in the PhD application process? For instance, would someone who's 23/24 be considered 'too young' for a program?

I'm 23 with no MA or professional experience! No one has ever brought this up as an issue. In fact, my mentor mentioned that not having an MA might be a "plus" for my application process. 

1 hour ago, WildeingOut said:

Random question, maybe @Warelin would have some insight. Does anyone know how much age and professional experience matter in the PhD application process? For instance, would someone who's 23/24 be considered 'too young' for a program? Is professional experience (aside from TA'ing) necessary for PhD programs?

I’m 21 and going for a PhD! I don’t think it’s too young. 

3 hours ago, WildeingOut said:

Random question, maybe @Warelin would have some insight. Does anyone know how much age and professional experience matter in the PhD application process? For instance, would someone who's 23/24 be considered 'too young' for a program? Is professional experience (aside from TA'ing) necessary for PhD programs?

I’m fresh out of my undergrad with absolutely no conference or teaching experience (I know, I know). Lucky enough to be in at six programs so far, so I don’t think professional experience counts against you, though I’m sure it could only help the application! 

20 minutes ago, Anonymouse124 said:

I’m fresh out of my undergrad with absolutely no conference or teaching experience (I know, I know). Lucky enough to be in at six programs so far, so I don’t think professional experience counts against you, though I’m sure it could only help the application! 

Wow, 6 programs is super impressive! Do you have a sense of any top choices, or are you waiting to see with the visits? 

13 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Wow, 6 programs is super impressive! Do you have a sense of any top choices, or are you waiting to see with the visits? 

I had a lot of help and support from a friend who went through this whole application process last year! I also had a lot I wanted to improve on after my applications to MAs alone last year. It’s definitely a trial and error thing and it helped to have had that previous experience!! I’m definitely trying to keep an open mind and visit the schools who are willing to help out with a travel stipend! 

Here’s to figuring out exactly how nebulous ~fit~ can be haha. What are your top choices?? Fingers crossed for our decisions ahead! 

4 minutes ago, Anonymouse124 said:

I had a lot of help and support from a friend who went through this whole application process last year! I also had a lot I wanted to improve on after my applications to MAs alone last year. It’s definitely a trial and error thing and it helped to have had that previous experience!! I’m definitely trying to keep an open mind and visit the schools who are willing to help out with a travel stipend! 

Here’s to figuring out exactly how nebulous ~fit~ can be haha. What are your top choices?? Fingers crossed for our decisions ahead! 

Same! I tried really very hard not to have a dream program going into the application season because I knew the  chances of being ~ghosted~ were so high, so I am very thrilled to have received the options I have. I'm lucky enough that all my programs are providing travel stipends and my job is relatively flexible right now (as an event coordinator, as long as I'm not missing any actual events then I'm good!) so I am looking forward to visiting. I think that will be really crucial for me, personally. 

Fingers crossed!! Are you waiting on many more schools or just a couple? 

6 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Same! I tried really very hard not to have a dream program going into the application season because I knew the  chances of being ~ghosted~ were so high, so I am very thrilled to have received the options I have. I'm lucky enough that all my programs are providing travel stipends and my job is relatively flexible right now (as an event coordinator, as long as I'm not missing any actual events then I'm good!) so I am looking forward to visiting. I think that will be really crucial for me, personally. 

Fingers crossed!! Are you waiting on many more schools or just a couple? 

I totally feel you! There was really no way to call any of the decisions. So grateful for all the options we have!! 

That’s awesome! So glad you’ll be able to visit and get a feel of all your schools. Do you have anything on your list you’re looking out for when you visit besides feel and ~~fit~~ ? I’d love to see what other people have on their lists to ask about/look out for! 

Waiting on Yale and Berkeley, but those are definitely IR! You waiting on anywhere else?

5 hours ago, WildeingOut said:

22 here, gonna be 23 when I start in the Fall :) 23/24 doesn't feel too young to start a graduate program tbh. I largely agree with Warelin, fit is gonna be the biggest factor in that yes/maybe/no decision.

As far as experience... I've done mostly on-campus jobs, all part-time (writing instructor for a college prep summer activity as well as being a writing tutor), I don't have any formal TA experience though. Most of that work experience was expressed only in my CV (however, I did use my summer work experience for my personal history statement that UCLA and UCI needed). Never had a formal TA position. Professional experience I can see being a bonus and plus for admissions committees, but I don't see it being a huge make or break factor.

1 hour ago, Anonymouse124 said:

I totally feel you! There was really no way to call any of the decisions. So grateful for all the options we have!! 

That’s awesome! So glad you’ll be able to visit and get a feel of all your schools. Do you have anything on your list you’re looking out for when you visit besides feel and ~~fit~~ ? I’d love to see what other people have on their lists to ask about/look out for! 

Waiting on Yale and Berkeley, but those are definitely IR! You waiting on anywhere else?

Have you seen the "Campus Visits" thread that's pinned? On the first page, there's this excellent list of questions to ask/factors to consider when evaluating!

I'm definitely taking into account the placement rates (especially in my field) and the funding package, but those are things that I have available to me remotely. During the visit, what I plan to focus on is quality of life and atmosphere (which is tied to funding, in a sense). I've heard a few stories from my mentors about having to compete for funding where people in their cohorts were just trying to sabotage each other, and in some cases the professors were encouraging that competition. I'm very fortunate to come from an incredibly supportive undergrad program, and it's something I really value and would like to have going forward. What about you? 

Edit: Aside from the implied rejections (because I would like an official rejection given all the $$$$ I threw their way!), I'm just waiting on Brown... They're MIA!

Edited by sugilite

On 2/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, amphilanthus said:

same situation! no additional insight here, but waiting in solidarity. it seems like it’s clearly a no since they said all acceptances/waitlists went out, which makes it extra frustrating to have heard absolutely nothing.

@Anjali.P I think the consensus here is that nothing has officially gone out from rutgers! no one has heard anything else apart from that one stray post - someone could have been alerted unofficially but it doesn’t seem like it was part of a round of notifications. we should be due for news from there soon. fingers crossed!

@amphilanthus Thanks so much! Yup I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I keep checking the portal and staring repeatedly at the 'no decision' , hoping for it to somehow magically change lol. Since I'm an international applicant, I've heard that usually we get emails, and not phone calls like the domestic students. So I keep refreshing my gmail every other hour as well. No luck so far! ?

Normally I’m not one to be impatient but man I wish UCB and USC would get a move on already. Those are the two programs I’m most excited about but are definitely implied rejections for me but I also don’t want to start planning things out until I have a definite answer so I’m stuck in waiting purgatory 

Hi all! I'm a lurker (and let's be honest, now GC addict) who has finally been drawn into posting. 

I'm wondering if anyone can give insights about what to expect or what to be asking during 1 on 1s with POIs during admitted student campus visits or skype calls? Beyond asking about the professors' current and past research and teaching and then questions about the broader program I am feeling a bit unsure. 

Thanks for any help/thoughts!! (This whole board has been a huge help so far) 

1 hour ago, sugilite said:

Have you seen the "Campus Visits" thread that's pinned? On the first page, there's this excellent list of questions to ask/factors to consider when evaluating!

I'm definitely taking into account the placement rates (especially in my field) and the funding package, but those are things that I have available to me remotely. During the visit, what I plan to focus on is quality of life and atmosphere (which is tied to funding, in a sense). I've heard a few stories from my mentors about having to compete for funding where people in their cohorts were just trying to sabotage each other, and in some cases the professors were encouraging that competition. I'm very fortunate to come from an incredibly supportive undergrad program, and it's something I really value and would like to have going forward. What about you? 

Edit: Aside from the implied rejections (because I would like an official rejection given all the $$$$ I threw their way!), I'm just waiting on Brown... They're MIA!

Ooh yes, I definitely have to give that thread another look. I've skimmed some of it so far, but I need to sit down and take some notes on it! Thanks for reminding me!

Yeah, I've heard some horror stories about extremely competitive and brutal programs. My undergrad department was quite aloof and I didn't really have the support I wanted (it was huge and difficult to find community, so I'm definitely looking for a supportive one for grad school). The vibe will be a lot easier to read on a visit; hopefully, the current grad students will feel comfortable enough to tell us their genuine feelings about the campus/area. I'm on the lookout for the same thing. I'm curious about a program's support for interdisciplinary and inter-department study, as well as funding for study/research abroad, specifically! Also, am super excited to see the places I might call home in the fall!

I totally feel you about implied rejections. With Yale and Berkeley as my final two schools, I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while for those rejections!

in my dream last night i was accepted to brown without funding so i experienced the full range of acception-rejection emotions and now feel prepared for whenever brown decides to get back to us. maybe it will be today! maybe my brain Knows i needed the warning!

34 minutes ago, tcatherine said:

*phone stare intensity increases*

Please, Rutgers. Please call me today. 

So, if I understand what I’ve seen on here, we expect Rutgers acceptances to come in today and tomorrow, right? So IR if we don’t hear by then 

55 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

So, if I understand what I’ve seen on here, we expect Rutgers acceptances to come in today and tomorrow, right? So IR if we don’t hear by then 

I'm looking at it as I expect to see Rutgers acceptances on the board today or tomorrow. If I don't hear by then but there also isn't anything on the board then I'll still have hope. 

Officially rejected from Penn, but I'm glad they at least had the courtesy to tell us all. The results board is bleeding red with our tears! 

Edit: Also, at the very least, I now know my portal works!!! :D Silver lining.

Edited by sugilite

well, official penn rejection means i almost definitely know where i’m going in the fall! still a few official results pending but none likely, and none a better fit. feeling an odd combo of woe-is-me misery over penn and holy-cow excitement rn. weirdddd day.

also @stressbot3000 i’m stil in the same boat with UVA and i’m glad you are too or i’d think i was losing my mind