2019 Applicants

1 hour ago, dreampigeon said:

Do we think all the Rutgers acceptances are out? Trying to decide if I should hold on to my one last shred of hope or accept a shut out...

Anticipated cohort size is 12-13 according to my POI, so there’s still some hope, I think! Only 7 (legitimate) acceptances on the board so far. Not sure if they only admit 12-13 and then waitlist the rest, or if they over-admit in anticipation of people declining their spots. Just expect a call at a random time if it’s good news, like super early in the morning or late at night, since it looks like that’s when everyone else accepted got theirs. Rooting for you! 

Edit: spelling/grammar

Edited by swarthmawr

thought this may ease some of your minds: I've been admitted to NYU, CUNY, Rutgers, and Columbia thus far, and accepted Columbia's offer a few days ago. I contacted the admissions department from each of the other schools about my decision yesterday and have received responses from all, so for those waitlisted or especially waiting for responses from Rutgers, spots are opening up! And to future members of my cohort: hello!

1 hour ago, 3131 said:

thought this may ease some of your minds: I've been admitted to NYU, CUNY, Rutgers, and Columbia thus far, and accepted Columbia's offer a few days ago. I contacted the admissions department from each of the other schools about my decision yesterday and have received responses from all, so for those waitlisted or especially waiting for responses from Rutgers, spots are opening up! And to future members of my cohort: hello!

Big congrats on making a decision so early!! Must be a huge relief!

3 minutes ago, backtothefuture said:

Has anyone heard anything from Penn State? Are they still making decisions?

I called them early last week and they said they were still making decisions and sending out notifications.  The woman I spoke with on the phone said that acceptances/waitlists would be notified via phone call or e-mail.  She gave no timeline as to when they'd have everything out by, but if you haven't heard yet, don't give up hope as they haven't notified everyone yet (as of last week, at least). 

3 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

I called them early last week and they said they were still making decisions and sending out notifications.  The woman I spoke with on the phone said that acceptances/waitlists would be notified via phone call or e-mail.  She gave no timeline as to when they'd have everything out by, but if you haven't heard yet, don't give up hope as they haven't notified everyone yet (as of last week, at least). 

Thank you so much :)

12 hours ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Thank you for this!! :)

6 minutes ago, rr732 said:

@sugilite haha! I’ve been getting a spam call at least once a day, from all different area codes about my “Apple device” and they may just kill me.

Luckily, the calls have left me alone... But now I'm wondering if my free birthday tacos/sandwiches have really been worth my sanity. 

1 hour ago, sugilite said:

Luckily, the calls have left me alone... But now I'm wondering if my free birthday tacos/sandwiches have really been worth my sanity. 

Free tacos are worth whatever it takes to get them.

Hi everyone! I posted this on the acceptances board but this might be a better place for it. I'm looking (preemtively) at a shut-out application season and I'm trying to gauge what happened/what I can do differently next year! I'm not sure if I just got unlucky with a lot of people applying with the same general interests as me: does anyone else do 20th/21st century Irish literature? Thanks and congratulations/good luck to everyone! 

11 minutes ago, grandr said:

Hi everyone! I posted this on the acceptances board but this might be a better place for it. I'm looking (preemtively) at a shut-out application season and I'm trying to gauge what happened/what I can do differently next year! I'm not sure if I just got unlucky with a lot of people applying with the same general interests as me: does anyone else do 20th/21st century Irish literature? Thanks and congratulations/good luck to everyone! 

Sorry to hear about that.  This thread is a pretty good place for what you're dealing with!  Best of luck in future cycles :) 

11 minutes ago, grandr said:

I left my app open to Irish lit by mentioning some work I did on Irish identity as Other but it's not my focus.  Honestly I can't recommend enough looking at the work published by recent graduates of the program.  Pretty sure I totally lucked out applying to SMU this year because their one student who seemed to be doing what I do graduated last spring.  I read her work and we have a ton of overlapping interests.  But who knows, like you said, there may have been a ton of other applicants with similar interests.  Here's hoping something works out for you in the end this cycle!

I'm getting kind of irritated about not getting my rejections from UofO and UConn.  The latter already sent out waitlist notifications so I know it's a reject...but I need them to pop the last, aged, sad balloon of hope I'm dragging around by a string.  I really wish all the programs would send out all notifications on the same day, well before April.  

4 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I left my app open to Irish lit by mentioning some work I did on Irish identity as Other but it's not my focus.  Honestly I can't recommend enough looking at the work published by recent graduates of the program.  Pretty sure I totally lucked out applying to SMU this year because their one student who seemed to be doing what I do graduated last spring.  I read her work and we have a ton of overlapping interests.  But who knows, like you said, there may have been a ton of other applicants with similar interests.  Here's hoping something works out for you in the end this cycle!

I'm getting kind of irritated about not getting my rejections from UofO and UConn.  The latter already sent out waitlist notifications so I know it's a reject...but I need them to pop the last, aged, sad balloon of hope I'm dragging around by a string.  I really wish all the programs would send out all notifications on the same day, well before April.  

Ooooh, like since they impose the April 15 decision deadline, also impose a like March 1 notification deadline or something along those lines. They could also have a national application deadline. That would be really useful across the board. Everyone would be on the same schedule.

5 minutes ago, tacocat211 said:

Ooooh, like since they impose the April 15 decision deadline, also impose a like March 1 notification deadline or something along those lines. They could also have a national application deadline. That would be really useful across the board. Everyone would be on the same schedule.

Yes. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from this process it’s that it needs to be standardized. As a humanities person I know saying that is basically heresy, but it’s true.  

6 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Yes. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from this process it’s that it needs to be standardized. As a humanities person I know saying that is basically heresy, but it’s true.

Agreed!  The pure chaos of applying and hearing back has taken about 10 years off of my life.  It also feels really shitty to put so much into an application and spend such exorbitant amounts of money to have your application totally disregarded and to be strung along by schools!  The only schools who sent out rejections in a timely manner (that I applied to) were Cornell and U-M, for which I am extremely thankful.  

Actually, I don't mind not hearing back from schools promptly.  I'm a sucker for a glimmer of hope.  

Things are actually happening really quickly this cycle.  Ten years ago, the idea was if you haven't heard anything by the middle of March, then you're in trouble.