Just an update on my end as well -- after contacting the six schools I had left to hear from, I found out I was on hidden wait list for two of them, and rejected from one. I also found out that I have another week or two of waiting to hear back from the final three schools, which are Canadian. Incredibly frustrating because I have pending offers at other schools and I feel bad holding a place that someone else could be taking! 

56 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

do we not have a decisions thread yet? 

We are waiting on you to create it!!

6 minutes ago, sugilite said:

We are waiting on you to create it!!

ha. i don’t wanna be the one!! the first person who decided should go for it

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

ha. i don’t wanna be the one!! the first person who decided should go for it

Who was that? @snorkles, maybe? Do the honors? 

Edited by sugilite

NYU finally came through with the rejection so I have no more unknowns. Just gotta wait for GW and Virginia to say something. I think the UVA visits are today so perhaps some things will move this week but have not heard of a single GW acceptance so not sure what to expect there.

On 3/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, mandelbulb said:

do we not have a decisions thread yet? 

I don't expect to make my decision until next weekend, but I went ahead and made the thread because I don't mind getting a notification every time someone posts. :) 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, dilby said:

I don't expect to make my decision until next weekend, but I went ahead and made the thread because I don't mind getting a notification every time someone posts. :) 

ha, thanks for taking one for the team! ;) can’t wait to see the thread fill up with decisions! I’m not so much as close to close to one yet, but super invested in everyone else’s anyway 

Edited by amphilanthus
typo D:

Hello,

I've posted a few times here before, but I was wondering if anyone has had radio silence from University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign? I've seen acceptances roll through, and some rejections, but I have just heard nothing from them. I know someone said they weren't updating the online application, but I also sent an email to the address they provided (shockey@illinois.edu) and have had zero response. I'm assuming a rejection, but I'm kind of frustrated to have not had that confirmed. Any advice?

Congrats to everyone's acceptances! This was my first application cycle and I was never more anxious in my life. Glad to see I was in good company!

Finally got my official rejection from Davis. The vague "reasons you are not competitive with other applicants are:" sentence was a big ouch. I've assumed I was rejected for over a month now, do you need to rub salt in the wound?

3 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Finally got my official rejection from Davis. The vague "reasons you are not competitive with other applicants are:" sentence was a big ouch. I've assumed I was rejected for over a month now, do you need to rub salt in the wound?

part of me appreciates it. at least i know it wasn't XYZ that kept me from being competitive and if i hadn't been accepted elsewhere, i'd know what to spend the most time improving. on the other hand, clearly my application was competitive enough, so it just goes back to the whole subjectivity thing.

Just now, mandelbulb said:

part of me appreciates it. at least i know it wasn't XYZ that kept me from being competitive and if i hadn't been accepted elsewhere, i'd know what to spend the most time improving. on the other hand, clearly my application was competitive enough, so it just goes back to the whole subjectivity thing.

Yeah, I get you for sure. And I already had a hunch my SoP was what took me down! I guess since I was shut out it just stung. Trying not to let it become fuel for the self-doubt, self-deprecation, and anxiety machine haha!

5 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Yeah, I get you for sure. And I already had a hunch my SoP was what took me down! I guess since I was shut out it just stung. Trying not to let it become fuel for the self-doubt, self-deprecation, and anxiety machine haha!

it does give you something pretty solid to work on for next year (or the year after if you're accepted to Villanova). you don't have to worry about GPA or GRE or letters :) just focus on your SoP and workshop it in a way that makes the most sense to you. you could perhaps reach out to your POI for more specific feedback, too? and try to establish a connection now?

lmaooooo got the rejection from Davis too––

The program to which you applied indicated the following as the reason(s) that you were not selected for admission:
- Not competitive with other applicants because:
      - Statement of Purpose/Written work

image.png.68ebb0ff603383e608299f8e0ff1100e.png

@Bopie5 don't get down on yourself! i have a feeling that was the "reason" they chose for most of us, unless we see some variation from other folks who post here. 

7 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

it does give you something pretty solid to work on for next year (or the year after if you're accepted to Villanova). you don't have to worry about GPA or GRE or letters :) just focus on your SoP and workshop it in a way that makes the most sense to you. you could perhaps reach out to your POI for more specific feedback, too? and try to establish a connection now?

That's true! I just shot an email asking for more specific feedback (something I've been too nervous to do previously, but at this point I have nothing to lose!). Thanks for the encouragement ❤️

Just now, hgtvdeathdrive said:

@Bopie5 don't get down on yourself! i have a feeling that was the "reason" they chose for most of us, unless we see some variation from other folks who post here. 

For sure. It's all so random and up for grabs anyway. And while I may not have acceptances from this cycle, I do have publications and presentations to reassure me that I am potentially viable in the field and that I'm not just somehow a shit writer haha.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bopie5 said:

Same—the way she talks about the wake honestly makes me rethink what kind of research I can and want to do??? I haven’t—I’ll have to add to my list! 

yeah, she's super super talented. Quashie writes his theory in a very poetic way you might also like. Hartman is also really good, she's one of Sharpe's mentors. :) 

2 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

That's true! I just shot an email asking for more specific feedback (something I've been too nervous to do previously, but at this point I have nothing to lose!). Thanks for the encouragement ❤️

One way I have asked for feedback in the past was letting the school know I am still interested in their program and intend to apply the next application cycle (if it came to that). I then asked what could be built upon. Usually I received constructive advice that one (or multiple sections) were what kept my application from acceptance. And then I worked like hell on those. Also, and I guess this relates to everyone who may feel down about this cycle, keep persisting. This was my fourth application cycle. For a myriad of reasons (being shut out, not fully loving the fit, and personal issues preventing me from moving), I have done this four straight years (five of the last six, if you count my M.A. applications). Persistence pays off. This was the third time I applied to the school I will most likely attend in the fall. I almost did not apply because I figured a third rejection would have sucked. But I got in, and I could not be happier. So, long story short, keep your head up and keep going.

Speaking of Davis rejections, what could this mean? Like does this mean the classes I took or the degree I have (BA American Studies) isn't good enough? Dunno if this is an indication that I shouldn't bother to reapply anywhere next year, as it sounds to me like something that can't be improved upon...?

The program to which you applied indicated the following as the reason(s) that you were not selected for admission:

- Inadequate preparation for advanced study in the proposed program

4 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

This is a good idea! Could you let me know who you emailed specifically? Dunno if I email a specific person or if there's some generic email.

5 hours ago, kitties said:

Speaking of Davis rejections, what could this mean? Like does this mean the classes I took or the degree I have (BA American Studies) isn't good enough? Dunno if this is an indication that I shouldn't bother to reapply anywhere next year, as it sounds to me like something that can't be improved upon...?

Seems like they think you have not done enough work in advanced literature study. Perhaps an MA in English would bridge the gap.

I didn’t know some schools did this, I would have really appreciated this response in the past, even if it seems like the answer are vague.

11 hours ago, kitties said:

This feedback is brutal because it doesn't mean much of anything.  Inadequate preparation for advanced study could mean GRE scores, letters, ws, or SoP problems because committees use all of those things to determine your level of preparation.  I can only imagine that their other note reads something like, "sorry, we just don't have enough spots." 

12 hours ago, kitties said:

This is a good idea! Could you let me know who you emailed specifically? Dunno if I email a specific person or if there's some generic email.

The denial letter said to email the admissions advisor of the English department, but I couldn't find anyone with that exact title, so I emailed the two graduate program coordinators (Aaron Barstow and Andi Carr), and explained in the email that I might be directing my question to the wrong place, but couldn't find the English admissions advisor on the website. 

13 hours ago, kitties said:

FWIW/IMO, the note suggests that you would benefit from figuring out the key differences between American studies and English and then chart an efficient path that allows you to bridge the gap. A way to figure out the differences is to look at a topic/subject has arced back and forth between American studies and English to see how the participants have talked to (or past) each other. A potential starting point is the politics and expertise interdisciplinary scholarship. 

Another tactic is to figure out what the professors you want(ed) to work with at Davis think about American studies. Have any of them sat on dissertation committees in American studies? Have American studies professors sat on dissertation committees that they've chaired?

Another avenue of approach may be to contact the American studies department at UC Davis and see if anyone can give you some insight.

HTH.