2019 Applicants

4 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

On the waitlist for funding at Villanova. I don't know what it is about my application that screams 'waitlist me' but apparently all of the programs I applied to decided to come together and do that. *internally screams until April 15th*

Only 16.5 days till April 15!

I feel that waitlisted Columbia person on the results thread! I went back through old GradCafe threads and found that for the waitlist I'm on there weren't any results of people getting off of it (and confirmed that for at least 2 years in the last 5-6 years it hasn't been used).

I'm really glad I have a school that I really like and would happily go to, but not being able to make a concrete decision until basically April 14th/15th is hard! 

1 hour ago, sugilite said:

I'm really glad I have a school that I really like and would happily go to, but not being able to make a concrete decision until basically April 14th/15th is hard! 

Ugh, in the same boat over here. I also hate it because I know I'm holding a spot that could potentially keep someone else from getting in if I end up rejecting. Also the fact that I have no idea where I'm going to spend the next 5 years of my life :')

waitlist purgatory solidarity! the worst. finally made the choice between my two offers, which was agonizing enough already, and the idea of suddenly having to make another choice at the very last minute is my nightmare. two more weeks! we’re so close, y’all!

@The Wordsworthian I haven’t officially done so yet because the idea of doing so makes me wanna barf (but I will before the end of the week, for anyone on the waitlist who’s dying for news!) but I’m going to be declining Rutgers’ offer. so, down to Vanderbilt and waitlists, particularly holding out hope for Michigan!

51 minutes ago, sugilite said:

I feel that waitlisted Columbia person on the results thread! I went back through old GradCafe threads and found that for the waitlist I'm on there weren't any results of people getting off of it (and confirmed that for at least 2 years in the last 5-6 years it hasn't been used).

Word on the street is that Columbia made offers to something like 35 people this year. I'm not sure how many people will have to turn them down in order to get the waitlist moving, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you ?

54 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Hey, how did you confirm that number? I have been told personally by Columbia faculty that it’s very rare for them to not use *anyone* from the waitlist. I know it has happened, but when I was still in limbo with them, I was told it’s “very uncommon” and that it would be “essentially unprecedented” (direct quote) for at least one waitlisted person to not be made an offer. 

On another note, I was accepted off Columbia’s waitlist and given an offer! :) So I know there is waitlist movement happening, but it’s extremely slow. 

Just now, trytostay said:

Hey, how did you confirm that number? I have been told personally by Columbia faculty that it’s very rare for them to not use *anyone* from the waitlist. I know it has happened, but when I was still in limbo with them, I was told it’s “very uncommon” and that it would be “essentially unprecedented” (direct quote) for at least one waitlisted person to not be made an offer. 

I'm so sorry; I should have been clearer--I am NOT on Columbia's waitlist, but on a different one. I was just empathizing with the specific person who was and had posted on the Results board. (Would be super surprised if I were on Columbia's list because I didn't apply hahahha)

Huge congrats to you!!!

Just now, sugilite said:

I'm so sorry; I should have been clearer--I am NOT on Columbia's waitlist, but on a different one. I was just empathizing with the specific person who was and had posted on the Results board. (Would be super surprised if I were on Columbia's list because I didn't apply hahahha)

Huge congrats to you!!!

Ohhh okay. I was worried that was going to make other Columbia waitlisted people feel anxious so I just wanted to clarify that lol. Now that makes sense! 

Thank you! 

This is not related to anything but just thought,

the color behind my user name icon letter is burnt orange. 

Is it a sign or the decision I should make?

What if our randomly assigned colors are subconsciously a sorting hat of sorts? 

Edited by arbie

@arbie (CONGRATS ON MADISON!) ngl I've been trying to figure out the assigned colors for names and if they were like little signs, randomly assigned by letter/year, etc. It's pretty fun to see all the variations.

I've changed my GC handle recently and got the same one as you, burnt orange. Looks like I got resorted. Burnt orange As represent. I remember my old handle was... bright green? I did not apply to any schools that were green tho lol

The only thing getting me through this next two weeks is the fact that GOT starts back up on April 14th. At least if I get rejected from all my waitlists on the 15th I can just say I'm crying from watching the GOT premiere...

11 hours ago, amphilanthus said:

@The Wordsworthian I haven’t officially done so yet because the idea of doing so makes me wanna barf (but I will before the end of the week, for anyone on the waitlist who’s dying for news!) but I’m going to be declining Rutgers’ offer. so, down to Vanderbilt and waitlists, particularly holding out hope for Michigan!

Best of luck! Glad to hear you are approaching clarity about the whole mysterious decision process, or at least as much clarity as any waitlist allows. Rooting for your Michigan result!

9 hours ago, Rootbound said:

Best of luck! Glad to hear you are approaching clarity about the whole mysterious decision process, or at least as much clarity as any waitlist allows. Rooting for your Michigan result!

thank you! slowly but surely. hope you’re approaching something like clarity too - looking forward to hearing where you end up!

6 minutes ago, dreampigeon said:

Thank you to whoever emailed UVA about movement on the waitlist & posted on the results board!!! 

if anyone has questions about the details there feel free to message me and I can pass along exactly what was said! trying to preserve some small shred of online anonymity but happy to share what I have more privately