2019 Applicants

5 hours ago, kgras13 said:

Omg yes,100%. I’ve had trouble reading for pleasure for a while now because my brain is like “you should only be reading books related to your research topic to improve your SOP!” I am so relieved to just have this whole process over with soon.

3 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

oh my god, all i have read/watched these past few months is sop-related stuff (when i'm not doing homework.) my brain feels mushy. 

These are the REALEST moods. I knew I had a problem when I was awake at 2am one night reading Toril Moi's analysis of feminist potential in Freud and Lacan. Will I ever read a novel for fun again? Will my brain be able to handle any tv other than crappy reality competitions? the jury is still out. my brain is tired every minute.

Hi, friends. Was it just two years ago that I was here doing MA applications? Yikes. 

I am back in the application life doing PhD apps for English Literature. I'm currently in the mad dash of submitting applications (2 today, 4 more this week), grading an incredible number of papers I've been ignoring, and writing my own. What a time. Everyone sharing that they have finished their apps and are back to real life is giving me hope. 

This might be a bit off topic, but I was reading through some old threads from last cycle and saw people got interview requests for UChicago English PhDs. That seems to be a bit of an anomaly, right? I didn't think the humanities did a lot of interviews (unlike STEM or MBAs, which are super interview heavy). Can anyone validate/give more info? I didn't realize I'd have to budget time off work for an interview anywhere (not saying I will definitely get one, but I'm very Type A and try to plan for any contingencies).

Edited by kgras13

3 hours ago, FiguresIII said:

Just got my last app (10/10) in at UC Berkeley !

I'm also very happy to report that I have found a hobby to keep me occupied (beyond normal work, ofc): drawing!

I'll have to make sure I don't start drawing the portraits of my POIs....

Congrats! Welcome to the waiting game... 

18 minutes ago, kgras13 said:

This might be a bit off topic, but I was reading through some old threads from last cycle and saw people got interview requests for UChicago English PhDs. That seems to be a bit of an anomaly, right? I didn't think the humanities did a lot of interviews (unlike STEM or MBAs, which are super interview heavy). Can anyone validate/give more info?

This has been common for Chicago to do. Chicago receives around 600 applications per year. They e-mail interview requests to 30. There are a total of 20-25 interview spots. And they accept roughly 10-15 post interview.

Duke English, Notre Dame and Emory are the other schools which commonly do interviews. Emory and Notre Dame have a set weekend for people they consider their top applicants. They accept about half of them and everyone else is placed on a waitlist. In recent years, they've occassionally reached out to someone post-weekend, but it's rare.

14 minutes ago, Warelin said:

This has been common for Chicago to do. Chicago receives around 600 applications per year. They e-mail interview requests to 30. There are a total of 20-25 interview spots. And they accept roughly 10-15 post interview.

Duke English, Notre Dame and Emory are the other schools which commonly do interviews. Emory and Notre Dame have a set weekend for people they consider their top applicants. They accept about half of them and everyone else is placed on a waitlist. In recent years, they've occassionally reached out to someone post-weekend, but it's rare.

This is very interesting, I had no idea. I wish they disclosed this on the website. Thank you for your help!!

Well, I got most of my applications in at the end of November and the first week of December.  I guess can relax now because I've heard from all of the schools that my applications are complete and that everything (letters, test scores, transcripts, sample, statement, and etc.) has been received.  

Area of Interest: Early-modern and medieval literature (Spenser and Arthuriana)

4 hours ago, Matthew3957 said:

Anyone else find waiting way harder than they expected it to be? I have checked my applications 3 times each. I need to just let it go, but its so hard. 

Definitely.  I want to call and ask if my applications are complete again just to stay in the loop. 

4 hours ago, Matthew3957 said:

Anyone else find waiting way harder than they expected it to be? I have checked my applications 3 times each. I need to just let it go, but its so hard. 

Absolutely. I started going through old threads on here to figure out when I can expect to hear. Definitely did not expect this level of anxiety after submission!

2 hours ago, kgras13 said:

Absolutely. I started going through old threads on here to figure out when I can expect to hear. Definitely did not expect this level of anxiety after submission!

Same! Not only that, I've been reading random threads that aren't even really relevant to me just to ponder a bunch of contingencies!

2 hours ago, kgras13 said:

I am FREAKING OUT about remaining LORs. Trying to politely remind them while not being annoying. Why can't they submit them all at once like one of my letter writers did? I am losing my mind trying to make sure they get them all in on time.

I'm in the same boat. My hope is that they are taking longer because they are tailoring their letters for individual programs, but the stress is too real. 

1 minute ago, Bopie5 said:

@kgras13 @CaffeineCardigan I feel this! Two of my LOR writers uploaded them all at once, but two of them decided to upload every one literally on the day of the deadline. Every time another deadline day passes, I feel the nerves about those two all over again.

Exactly my situation! It is driving me crazy. Living in a perpetual state of anxiety.

FWIW: Deadlines for recommendation letters are often flexible because universities know that professors have a lot going on. In addition to teaching, professors are often expected to:
-Conduct research in their field
-Often serve as an academic journal reader or editor
- Give talks within their community
-Serve on academic and administrative committees (Policies, Budgets, Promotions, Hiring, Admissions)
-Advise students on Academics and often on achieving life goals
-Plan lessons and assignments
- Grade papers, create exams, grade exams
-Attend and present at conferences
-Create multiple rubrics for different classes
-Applying for grants
-Trying to get their own research published
-Responding to student e-mails at various times of the day
-Publishing books
-Writing recommendation letters for students going to grad school, studying abroad, and fellow faculty letters. Most of which have a stricter deadline than Grad School.
-Etc.

I think it's also important to keep in mind that professors often have a home life outside of academia. They often have a spouse and kids that they also like to give proper attention.

tl;dr: I know it's frustrating. I've been where you are right now. But I think trusting the process is important. Your professors have written letters before. And colleges are aware of how much professors are expected to do which is why they often have different deadlines. 

Fun fact: One of my letter writers submitted their recommendation 2 weeks after the application deadline. I was still accepted by that college and was even awarded their highest fellowship by the grad school. If colleges want materials, they'll ask for it most of the time. :)