2019 Applicants

@screamingacrossthesky Thank you for your reassurance! It is definitely much harder for letter writers that deadlines often fall close to finals, I know that makes it a lot harder on them so I definitely don't want to bother the professor! I worry that a phone call would come across as pushy, and I've been out of school a while so office hours aren't an option. Maybe I'll wait a few days and then follow up with a phone call. Thank you for your help!!

1 hour ago, natalielouise said:

OMG I have submitted UMN, SUNY Buffalo, NYU, and Stanford and I am losing my mind! 

Still need to submit CUNY and UPenn. Very scared!!! Good luck everyone! The waiting is the worst. 

i sent Penn and gotta get on nyu. good luck!

So I'm filling out my Duke application (anyone else applying!?) and they require me to provide my skype ID. I am assuming this is for interviews, which definitely freaks me out a bit as I don't have much experience with interviewing. Does anyone have an idea of what graduate school interviews entails or where I could find information on it?

@alexisnj there's a section of the forum on that (https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/84-interviews-and-visits/). I haven't really looked at it so not sure how much info is there, but might be a solid place to begin. Good luck! I decided not to apply to Duke myself. 

@jadeisokay good luck on Jeopardy! I always wanted to be on. 

@natalielouise Went through the same thing. I had to take like 4 days and reset. Keep at it!

Officially finished with my 10 apps. Now the waiting starts. Excited and terrified for end of February. 

@Matthew3957 thanks! taping was SO fun. my episode airs February 5th in case anyone wants to see me be awkward on national television.

i submitted one more and am seeing my LORs come in. feeling now like I could have improved SOP more but i just... no.

6 minutes ago, kgras13 said:

Same, even though I know I had good reasons for narrowing down to the 6 I'm applying to, it seems like so few compared to a lot of other people.

That's how I'm feeling too. I only really had the time and money to do 7, and while I really like the programs and feel like all of them would be a good fit, I feel like I would have better chances if I had the time/energy/money to apply to more schools.

Anyone else applying to SUNY Buffalo? Their application portal is really bothering me.... they don't list what external materials they've received (like GRE scores or letters of recommendation) and you also can't send reminder emails to letter writers. :( Am I just not seeing it? 

4 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

Anyone else applying to SUNY Buffalo? Their application portal is really bothering me.... they don't list what external materials they've received (like GRE scores or letters of recommendation) and you also can't send reminder emails to letter writers. :( Am I just not seeing it? 

Is this the link you're using to check? http://www.gradmit.buffalo.edu/etw/ets/et.asp?nxappid=GRA&nxmid=start

25 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

yes! 

Hmm odd. I remember that link or a similar link showing missing documents when I originally applied. I'll search through my e-mail to see if I can find a different link.

Ugh, I submitted my 4th out of 7 apps today, and I'm so fatigued! I'm hitting that point where my apps are all my brain can process. Anyone else feel that thing where your brain shames you for doing anything else (especially fun/silly things) with the time that you could be spending on your apps? Like, I need to rest and do things just for the enjoyment of them, but every time I do, my brain tells me I should be working on my apps instead haha.

18 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Ugh, I submitted my 4th out of 7 apps today, and I'm so fatigued! I'm hitting that point where my apps are all my brain can process. Anyone else feel that thing where your brain shames you for doing anything else (especially fun/silly things) with the time that you could be spending on your apps? Like, I need to rest and do things just for the enjoyment of them, but every time I do, my brain tells me I should be working on my apps instead haha.

Omg yes,100%. I’ve had trouble reading for pleasure for a while now because my brain is like “you should only be reading books related to your research topic to improve your SOP!” I am so relieved to just have this whole process over with soon.

Hi all!! 

I finally decided to create an account after browsing often over the past week weeks. I finished submitting all of my applications this past week (mixture of MA and PhD programs)!!!!!!!!! I thought it would be a huge relief to have it all in, but now I am even more anxious than before! Trying to focus on pleasure reading, hiking, and cooking to pass the next months. Look forward to hearing about everyone's results and journeys!

2 hours ago, kgras13 said:

Omg yes,100%. I’ve had trouble reading for pleasure for a while now because my brain is like “you should only be reading books related to your research topic to improve your SOP!” I am so relieved to just have this whole process over with soon.

oh my god, all i have read/watched these past few months is sop-related stuff (when i'm not doing homework.) my brain feels mushy.