NSF GRFP 2018-2019

lambda

First year grad student and I was not awarded :/ Big bummer since I spent so much time on this and had like 4 professors edit my application. I keep thinking it's because I put my undergraduate GPA (3.0) as my grad school GPA even though I hadn't got any grades in yet for grad school with it being just October. 

What did everyone else put for their grad school GPA if they were a first year?

Congrats to the awardees!

I didn't receive a decision yet? When I log in, the "final status" is empty. My name also isn't in the list of awarded offers/honorable mention. Anyone else have this problem? 

24 minutes ago, careaux said:

First year grad student and I was not awarded ? Big bummer since I spent so much time on this and had like 4 professors edit my application. I keep thinking it's because I put my undergraduate GPA (3.0) as my grad school GPA even though I hadn't got any grades in yet for grad school with it being just October. 

I put 3.7 but ended up getting a 4.0. I would have been so upset with myself if I hadn't gotten the award. Especially if the reviews brought up a low GPA

1 hour ago, careaux said:

First year grad student and I was not awarded ? Big bummer since I spent so much time on this and had like 4 professors edit my application. I keep thinking it's because I put my undergraduate GPA (3.0) as my grad school GPA even though I hadn't got any grades in yet for grad school with it being just October. 

The fellowship admin at my institution told us to put down 4.0/4.0 since we apparently have perfect GPAs until we get grades. 

2 minutes ago, laveritecestla said:

The fellowship admin at my institution told us to put down 4.0/4.0 since we apparently have perfect GPAs until we get grades. 

“Fellowship admin” what even is that??? Is this why there are so many winners from from ivies despite that ivy vs non ivy has little to do with the rigor of graduate school

I was offered the NSF GRFP! I feel like I'm gonna vomit! Congratulations to the other recipients. I'm celebrating in spirit with you all! 

(Undergraduate at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, starting at Penn State (MCIBS PhD program) this fall!)

1 hour ago, md@ said:

“Fellowship admin” what even is that??? Is this why there are so many winners from from ivies despite that ivy vs non ivy has little to do with the rigor of graduate school

No seriously though what is the "fellowship admin" you speak of? Are there people on your campus dedicated to fellowship application support? If so, that is an amazing resource to have! I worked on my application by myself, with some review from my PI. Maybe this is why I got honorable mention lol 

3 hours ago, careaux said:

On my transcript that I submitted I had a 0.00 so that's what I put on my application, and I guess they figured out what that meant. I ended up only getting a 3.66 for my first semester, so I think that paid off!

3 hours ago, careaux said:

I put 0.0 since I didn't have any grades yet and was awarded so I guess it didn't matter too much... Now that I'm thinking of it I'm glad they didn't screen it out for low GPA.

2nd year graduate student, not accepted for funding nor recommended for HM. Stings, especially because I have to wait 2 weeks to know why. Not too surprised because my field (psychology) does not get a lot of recipients, but I thought my 6 publications (including 2 first-author papers from undergrad) would have helped a lot. Guess not. A bit disappointed because I put months into my application. Guess I learned a lot about how to frame my research though, which is nice, but no gold star.

Edited by Caveat Emptor

28 minutes ago, Caveat Emptor said:

2nd year graduate student, not accepted for funding nor recommended for HM. Stings, especially because I have to wait 2 weeks to know why. Not too surprised because my field (psychology) does not get a lot of recipients, but I thought my 6 publications (including 2 first-author papers from undergrad) would have helped a lot. Guess not. A bit disappointed because I put months into my application. Guess I learned a lot about how to frame my research though, which is nice, but no gold star.

Ah man, that publication bit does sting. I was kicking myself because, since submitting the NSF app, I've had 2 publications come out that I'm lead author on. I was thinking the next time I apply (since I'm currently an undergrad) that I'd have that get me across the finish line, but maybe not huh. Regardless of what the academic elitists say, you seem like a phenomenal professional and researcher with all that work! 

7 hours ago, Rc2121 said:

No seriously though what is the "fellowship admin" you speak of? Are there people on your campus dedicated to fellowship application support? If so, that is an amazing resource to have! I worked on my application by myself, with some review from my PI. Maybe this is why I got honorable mention lol 

Yep. My program spans two universities, so I'm a registered student at both, and both institutions have dedicated staff for graduate fellowships. I met with them early in the process and got feedback from them, as well as from other students in my program who received the GRFP in the past, my current advisor, my undergraduate advisor, and some faculty mentors (one of whom has been on the GRFP review panel in the past). I agree that it is an amazing resource to have, and it sucks that you didn't have that support when you applied. :( 

Congrats to all who were awarded!

I am interested in applying for the NSF-GRFP in 2020. However, my case is a little different from most of you guys I imagine. I completed my Master's degree in 2018 and have been working as a researcher ever since. The eligibility rules for the NSF-GRFP grant state that if you have completed a master's then you are ineligible UNLESS there is at least a two-year gap between completing your masters and the deadline for the grant for the given year. I was wondering if any of you have had success winning the NSF-GRFP after completing your master's and working for a few years after, or may know someone who has. Thanks!

8 hours ago, RemarkableComment said:

Congrats to all who were awarded!

I am interested in applying for the NSF-GRFP in 2020. However, my case is a little different from most of you guys I imagine. I completed my Master's degree in 2018 and have been working as a researcher ever since. The eligibility rules for the NSF-GRFP grant state that if you have completed a master's then you are ineligible UNLESS there is at least a two-year gap between completing your masters and the deadline for the grant for the given year. I was wondering if any of you have had success winning the NSF-GRFP after completing your master's and working for a few years after, or may know someone who has. Thanks!

You also cannot yet be enrolled in a new graduate program when applying after a two year gap. The only way this works is if you are applying to start a PhD program in Fall 2020.

Anyone know how many applicants there were this cycle?

It also looks like they offered 2,050 awards. I'm not sure where some people were getting 1,500 available spots from

2 hours ago, jtro37 said:

It also looks like they offered 2,050 awards. I'm not sure where some people were getting 1,500 available spots from

I also would like to know. Normally they issue a press release with the award announcement that has a small breakdown (see last years here: https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=245024&org=NSF) but they have put one out for this year. 

I was awarded!

Huge relief! First year grad student so it was my first and only chance at getting it! I was worried I wouldn't  as my undergrad GPA was a 3.0. Congrats to everyone and good luck to everyone in the next session!

On 4/9/2019 at 8:11 AM, gummybear9 said:

I got the award!!! I’m beyond surprised that I got it after so many grad school rejects. And as an undergrad!! This is so exciting

Oh my God!!!! So happy to hear this!!!!!!!!!!! I also got it as undergrad - woo hoo!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, jtro37 said:

It also includes the Honorable Mentions. The 1,500 is mentioned in the solicitation for 2019, 2020, and 2021.