NSF GRFP 2018-2019

lambda

Just now, drfigue said:

It also includes the Honorable Mentions. The 1,500 is mentioned in the solicitation for 2019, 2020, and 2021.

No, there's 2,050 awards and 1,540 honorable mentions

Just now, jtro37 said:

No, there's 2,050 awards and 1,540 honorable mentions

They're talking about this: https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2018/nsf18573/nsf18573.htm

It said 1,500 for this year, but perhaps they decided to honor the previous solicitation. Next year will likely have 1,500 awards.

Hi all, has anyone heard of someone bringing the GRFP to a non-US school, with affiliation with a US institution? The FAQ and 2018-2020 solicitation suggest this is possible, but provide no guidance on how to navigate or what qualifies as "affiliation." I'll likely reach out to an NSF program manager, but my guess is that the rules might be a little loose here, and going into that conversation knowing what has occurred before may improve my chances of pulling it off. Thanks all!

To those that worked extremely hard on their applications and didn't get it, you deserve the award and it's a crapshoot who gets it. As has been said on this thread, it doesn't make you any worse of a scientist at all, just an unlucky scientist. To those of who DID get it: congratulations. But more importantly, use this chance and privilege to help others as much as possible. Post your essay and proposal, post your reviews, write blog posts on how you approach the application. It's the least we can do for others.

On 4/11/2019 at 10:06 AM, DyingInside said:

Any developmental psych winners? I would love to connect.

Cognitive psych here.  Amazingly, of the 11 cognitive psych awards, 2 came from my lab at UCSD (me as an undergrad and one grad student)!  I was pretty sure I wouldn't win, since I was applying to joint philosophy/ psychology programs (I'm going to Yale's joint program), and I was very clear in my application that I wanted to equally pursue both disciplines.  I was worried that would turn off some reviewers.   Plus, I don't have any publications other than abstracts and undergraduate journals, but I have a decent amount of conference presentations.  I put a ton of work in my application (as I'm sure most on here did) and extensively reviewed previous winning essays, but I didn't get much outside help other than a couple visits to the school writing center.  I do think my philosophy training did help my writing. Once I get the comments back, I'll post my essays, which will hopefully help others. 

I feel a little bad winning an award when Yale's program already gives many of the benefits anyway (High stipend, low TA requirements, department based funding).  Of course, I didn't know which school I'd be accepted to when I applied.  Every eligible student in my PI's lab has won an award for 17 years, so I'm at least happy not to break that streak. I think the best part about winning as an undergrad is that I won't need to stress over this application when grad school starts, as I know it will be a very strenuous program, and my daughter will be born a week before the Fall semester begins.

Congrats to everyone else who was also fortunate enough to win!

22 hours ago, inquisitive_grad said:

Hi all, has anyone heard of someone bringing the GRFP to a non-US school, with affiliation with a US institution? The FAQ and 2018-2020 solicitation suggest this is possible, but provide no guidance on how to navigate or what qualifies as "affiliation." I'll likely reach out to an NSF program manager, but my guess is that the rules might be a little loose here, and going into that conversation knowing what has occurred before may improve my chances of pulling it off. Thanks all!

To those that worked extremely hard on their applications and didn't get it, you deserve the award and it's a crapshoot who gets it. As has been said on this thread, it doesn't make you any worse of a scientist at all, just an unlucky scientist. To those of who DID get it: congratulations. But more importantly, use this chance and privilege to help others as much as possible. Post your essay and proposal, post your reviews, write blog posts on how you approach the application. It's the least we can do for others.

I'd recommend also asking the school, as I'd imagine you aren't the first in such a position and they would know exactly what steps to take. 

And I completely agree with your pay it forward attitude and assessment of the process.  So much of both grants and grad school applications are luck based, and I think the most successful scientists also have the highest number of rejected papers and proposals.  It's all about putting yourself out there, doing your best, and giving luck as much of an opportunity to find you as possible. 

On 4/13/2019 at 1:34 PM, CogSciRob said:

I'd recommend also asking the school, as I'd imagine you aren't the first in such a position and they would know exactly what steps to take. 

And I completely agree with your pay it forward attitude and assessment of the process.  So much of both grants and grad school applications are luck based, and I think the most successful scientists also have the highest number of rejected papers and proposals.  It's all about putting yourself out there, doing your best, and giving luck as much of an opportunity to find you as possible. 

Glad you reciprocate this mentality. I imagine I'm not the first to do this either....yet neither school has specific advice (and big schools at that, U Florida and U British Columbia). Can't say that either advisor/department/institution is completely thrilled about the idea either, as they want me to bring the grant just to their institution...

When is the deadline to submit the NSF fellowship annual activities report and declare fellowship status(for previous fellows)? I am a fellow who just completed the first year of the fellowship. I received two emails saying the deadline is May 15th, but the most recent program solicitation here https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2018/nsf18573/nsf18573.htm says the deadline is May 1. Which one is it? Is there a distinction between when the annual activities report is due, when it has to be approved by, and when the completed report and the declaration of fellowship status have to be completed by?

Edited by flopez

So I received an award but on the home page of my account, I don't see an option to accept it. Also, on the award letter, it says that you can access your reviews on the optional task list but mine definitely does not have that option. Is anyone having the same issues?

Edited by joche

34 minutes ago, joche said:

So I received an award but on the home page of my account, I don't see an option to accept it. Also, on the award letter, it says that you can access your reviews on the optional task list but mine definitely does not have that option. Is anyone having the same issues?

I think tomorrow is the official day for you to be able to accept awards and see reviews.  I'm not really sure why they have the delay between finding out if you won and seeing the reviews (or if that is the standard procedure or something unique to this cycle).  And congrats on winning!

"By April 29, 2019, NSF will send you an email with instructions on how to accept or decline this offer and view your application reviews. The deadline to accept or decline this offer is May 15, 2019. In the instructions, NSF will also include details for your institution about the fellowship disbursement."

Didn't you all read this? ... Tomorrow's the day -- they already made some changes in the FastLane website for us fellows. For instance, instructions on how to accept the award are included in "View/Print Fellowship Award Offer Letter", second page.

I believe we can only accept once reviews are in, which should be tomorrow.

Edited by drfigue

7 hours ago, drfigue said:

"By April 29, 2019, NSF will send you an email with instructions on how to accept or decline this offer and view your application reviews. The deadline to accept or decline this offer is May 15, 2019. In the instructions, NSF will also include details for your institution about the fellowship disbursement."

Didn't you all read this? ... Tomorrow's the day -- they already made some changes in the FastLane website for us fellows. For instance, instructions on how to accept the award are included in "View/Print Fellowship Award Offer Letter", second page.

I believe we can only accept once reviews are in, which should be tomorrow.

I guess they didn't say what time on the 29th XD

26 minutes ago, CogSciRob said:

I guess they didn't say what time on the 29th XD

Hahaha yeah, I was low key expecting it to be right after midnight, but I guess we have to wait a little longer.

Man, I had one reviewer who was really critical. After reading their comments I feel even more lucky to have gotten the award now

E/E VG/VG G/VG

2nd year graduate student...I only have reviewer comments from 2 reviewers? Not offered the award, but the two I can see were E/E and VG/E. Wasn't upset about not getting it, but now I'm a little pissed off because the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. Oh well ?‍♀️ Just applying was a great experience and definitely improved my writing!

36 minutes ago, gummybear9 said:

Undergrad, BME, offered award: VG/VG, E/E, E/E

Also, does anyone know how to change the institution I proposed when applying? That's not where I ended up going.

Nevermind, they give you the chance to change it after you accept!

VG/VG, VG/VG, E/E in Civil Engineering, first year grad student. I didn’t get it, and they said my weak points was a lower than average BS GPA in the applicant pool (3.46) and my outreach during undergraduate could have been stronger. Everything else was extremely positivite though, so that boosted my morale!