MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Same here. what if we get a chance after the deadline next wk or right before the semester begins?  we just lose some deposits to other schools?  I'm worried if it'll be a big problem to decline right before, especially if it involves a scholarship. or it is a common thing to do... does anyone have any advice or experience?

How is everyone making decisions about $$$?? I got in to NYU & Goldsmiths, but even though NYU has funding for everyone, it's really not enough, and Goldsmiths doesn't have any funding at all for international students. My advisors from undergrad are both telling me to just do it, basically, but everyone else seems much more hesitant, and I'm looking at something like 80k - 100k worth of debt. That seems totally crazy, and I don't know if I should accept one of these offers, apply for external funding, and hope for the best, or if I should just reapply in the future and do better research on funding next time! 

1 hour ago, notyrs said:

How is everyone making decisions about $$$?? I got in to NYU & Goldsmiths, but even though NYU has funding for everyone, it's really not enough, and Goldsmiths doesn't have any funding at all for international students. My advisors from undergrad are both telling me to just do it, basically, but everyone else seems much more hesitant, and I'm looking at something like 80k - 100k worth of debt. That seems totally crazy, and I don't know if I should accept one of these offers, apply for external funding, and hope for the best, or if I should just reapply in the future and do better research on funding next time! 

That’s a lot of money and totally a personal call. If you do wait for next year, definitely consider applying to fully/well-funded programs. But also weigh whether you want to go through another application process/if you really want to get started. Personally, I had no interest in going into debt for an MFA, so I only applied to a well funded program. I think it is somewhat crazy to go into a ton of debt for an MFA—it’s not like we are going to be raking in the dough afterwards. :)

2 hours ago, notyrs said:

i honestly didn't research much about funding before i applied to places, but realized about 1/3 of the way down the line how expensive everything really is. personally, i made the executive decision to rule out the programs that were going to put me in debt. it'll follow you around and hinder your ability to pursue the thing that you went to school FOR; a lot of people get a less satisfying or grunt job to keep up with the bills and it's just not worth it imo.

i think these financial decisions really depend on what your 5 year plan is, basically. if you want to be a gallery artist, don't do it for anyone other than a top 3 school. if you're looking to pursue more steady work, like graphic design, or maybe teach, then it's probably a safer bet. if it were like 20k, that'd be more manageable, but 80-100k has little chance of getting paid off. 

that being said---NYU is a probably well connected enough program to actually facilitate your goals, which could be worth it. don't know anything about goldsmiths. and who knows! maybe there will be a political future down the line with college debt forgiveness. we can dream! lol 

if you do re-apply next year, look at state schools and def canada. i didn't see that mentioned much on this board but even without the scholarship i got (and i'm american, so they offer it to international kids) it's much cheaper. i ended up choosing emily carr in vancouver because it'll be 7500 a year (after funding + dollar conversion rate), and it's a solid school. that's how much an mfa SHOULD cost imo and i had a hard time justifying any of my other options in the face of that. 

Edited by beep beep

5 hours ago, notyrs said:

Hey congrats on acceptance, may I ask when you heard the decision from NYU? I am still waiting to hear from them.

I just turned down University of Tennessee-Time Based Media and VCU-Kinetic Imaging. Both awesome programs with some good funding! Hopefully if you are waiting to hear back from either of them, you shall now. 

On 3/29/2019 at 8:10 AM, Aatt said:

My final list for 2yr Graphic Design MFA: 

Tyler - Accepted with TA and generous stipend for 1st year 

MICA - accepted 35% scholarship

SCAD - accepted with small scholarship

SVA - accepted no funding

Rutgers - asked to interview but turned it down because I already had some others I wanted more

Yale - rejected

RISD- rejected

Tulane - rejected 

SAIC - rejected

VCU - ghosted, I never heard anything even after emailing to ask. 

I was really struggling between choosing MICA or Tyler. I’m going to commit to MICA though. Already turned down the rest. 

Anyone else going to MICA? 

omg I am actually waitlised by SVA MFA Design..  Really like their program T_T

On 4/4/2019 at 6:23 AM, Masterpiece said:

Did anyone receive SVA’s MFA Design and is going to turn them down? Because I’m on the waitlist, wanna see how much chance I might get from their last annoucement on 4.15. Thanks!

I am also on the waitlist!! Best of luck to both of us could get in..

What school will you go if you haven't heard back from SVA?

5 hours ago, Nanjin said:

omg I am actually waitlised by SVA MFA Design..  Really like their program T_T

I turned it down so maybe you will get my spot! Fingers crossed

Finally heard back from the last school I was waiting on. Rejected from VCU design/visual comm design. Everyone else heard so long ago I figured I did something wrong in the app, but I guess not. It was a very nice letter telling me I was really close to getting in and to apply again next year. I wonder if they say that to everyone? Either way still pleasant rejection. I’m going to elsewhere so no biggie. 

3 hours ago, Aatt said:

I turned it down so maybe you will get my spot! Fingers crossed

Thank you so much! Wish you good luck in grad school too

5 hours ago, Aatt said:

Finally heard back from the last school I was waiting on. Rejected from VCU design/visual comm design. Everyone else heard so long ago I figured I did something wrong in the app, but I guess not. It was a very nice letter telling me I was really close to getting in and to apply again next year. I wonder if they say that to everyone? Either way still pleasant rejection. I’m going to elsewhere so no biggie. 

I got my official rejection too! And my e-mail said the same, lol :P 

So that leaves me with MICA (waitlist) and Pratt... 

Still waiting until next week to make a final call.

17 hours ago, Nanjin said:

I am also on the waitlist!! Best of luck to both of us could get in..

What school will you go if you haven't heard back from SVA?

Probably Pratt.

They have strong community and advantage location in Brooklyn. Plus,since it gives enough freedom to focus on own concentration,  I can develop design project upon my own business idea, which is closed to SVA’s program setting. As I am clear on my thesis outcome, I can require pretty good resources from Pratt. 

Last, my target job and company are more active and mature in NY, Pratt provides me most opportunity in the area.

4 hours ago, Masterpiece said:

Probably Pratt.

They have strong community and advantage location in Brooklyn. Plus,since it gives enough freedom to focus on own concentration,  I can develop design project upon my own business idea, which is closed to SVA’s program setting. As I am clear on my thesis outcome, I can require pretty good resources from Pratt. 

Last, my target job and company are more active and mature in NY, Pratt provides me most opportunity in the area.

Have you recieved any funding from Pratt?

7 hours ago, Masterpiece said:

Best wishes to your grad school!

May I ask when did you turn them down? Thanks

Ummm maybe 2 weeks ago, but they just emailed acknowledging that they received it this week. 

8 hours ago, Masterpiece said:

Probably Pratt.

Me too. NYC is like one of the best campuses I could ever ask for.