MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

16 minutes ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Does anyone have an idea how the AAS Program of Graphic Design at Parsons is? How does it compare to a conventional MFA or MDes program? (Pratt/UIC/MICA/NCSU) 

Any leads would be appreciated. :)

?? It is an associates degree. It shouldn’t even be an option if you are applying for MFA programs. While I don’t know that program specifically, it is probably all intro courses to Adobe programs, drawing, color theory, and other fundamentals. It being an AAS instead of AFA means it is likely more technical than fine art driven.

Edit: Also, that program is now called Communication Design (still an AAS).

Edited by EastCoastPhoto

I was wondering what your thoughts are on accepting and putting down a small deposit on your second choice school while you wait for your first choice? One school I was accepted to gave me two weeks to accept (now only one week left) and I still haven’t heard either way from one of the programs I really want! Not sure what to do. 

1 hour ago, EastCoastPhoto said:

?? It is an associates degree. It shouldn’t even be an option if you are applying for MFA programs. While I don’t know that program specifically, it is probably all intro courses to Adobe programs, drawing, color theory, and other fundamentals. It being an AAS instead of AFA means it is likely more technical than fine art driven.

Edit: Also, that program is now called Communication Design (still an AAS).

Hey, thanks for your input.

I just looked at some people applying for Graphic Design at Parsons and this was the only course I found on their website and was wondering about the same. I had initially thought of applying to it since I'm an undergraduate in Architecture and only have work experience regarding graphic design but then MFA seemed better for me and I'm lucky to have recieved a few offers from the same. I also wanted to clear my perception, that it was a technical program to develop one's portfolio for professional/further master's career.

This clears my confusion. :) Also, thanks for the edit!

15 minutes ago, Baldie15 said:

I was wondering what your thoughts are on accepting and putting down a small deposit on your second choice school while you wait for your first choice? One school I was accepted to gave me two weeks to accept (now only one week left) and I still haven’t heard either way from one of the programs I really want! Not sure what to do. 

Did you try emailing them?

43 minutes ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Hey, thanks for your input.

I just looked at some people applying for Graphic Design at Parsons and this was the only course I found on their website and was wondering about the same. I had initially thought of applying to it since I'm an undergraduate in Architecture and only have work experience regarding graphic design but then MFA seemed better for me and I'm lucky to have recieved a few offers from the same. I also wanted to clear my perception, that it was a technical program to develop one's portfolio for professional/further master's career.

This clears my confusion. :) Also, thanks for the edit!

work experience is really valuable for applying to mfa programs! the biggest emphasis is on your portfolio and statement. having an undergraduate degree in architecture shouldn’t hurt your application. every program is different though, and if you have doubts don’t hesitate to reach out to admissions. 

On 3/19/2019 at 3:41 PM, rosie_ said:

hi all - 

Has anyone heard from Columbia MFA in art (new genres)? 

I have been accepted to Cal Arts (mfa in art) vs. School of Art Institute of Chicago (mfa in performance) and trying to understand the pros and cons of these programs, as well as columbia as I have to tell SAIC on friday and still haven't heard back from Columbia post interview. 

Any insight about the programs, reputations, etc., would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks!

It mostly depends on what fields you want to do. Personally, i would choose cal arts out of these two. And the weather in California is just much nicer than Chicago lol

6 hours ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Does anyone have an idea how the AAS Program of Graphic Design at Parsons is? How does it compare to a conventional MFA or MDes program? (Pratt/UIC/MICA/NCSU) 

Any leads would be appreciated. :)

Hey! I actually have a BA in art and am finishing an AOS in Pratt for Gfx design. It helped me develop a more solid portfolio and skills. I was only accepted to 1 mfa program 2 years ago when I applied, and now I got into 3. ^^ Let me know if you have questions, but yes as stated an Associates is not the same as an MFA, though tbh it is still very valuable.

4 hours ago, jri said:

Hey! I actually have a BA in art and am finishing an AOS in Pratt for Gfx design. It helped me develop a more solid portfolio and skills. I was only accepted to 1 mfa program 2 years ago when I applied, and now I got into 3. ^^ Let me know if you have questions, but yes as stated an Associates is not the same as an MFA, though tbh it is still very valuable.

Hey, thanks for the insight. I'm leaning more towards a MFA at Pratt/MICA but am also doubtful if I do not get any financial aid/removed from waitlist respectively.

However, In case, I decide to apply for the AAS program, I will definitely get in touch.

On 3/18/2019 at 5:12 AM, afein said:

I was accepted also. Is it your first choice?

What have you decided on?  I am indecisive now.
I got SVA, Calarts, ACCD, Pratt, and BU (graphic design), and looking for advices according to school reputation in the field and occupation after graduate.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:41 AM, rosie_ said:

hi all - 

Has anyone heard from Columbia MFA in art (new genres)? 

I have been accepted to Cal Arts (mfa in art) vs. School of Art Institute of Chicago (mfa in performance) and trying to understand the pros and cons of these programs, as well as columbia as I have to tell SAIC on friday and still haven't heard back from Columbia post interview. 

Any insight about the programs, reputations, etc., would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks!

So happy for you at least you have gotten interview from Columbia.

May I ask how was the interview process? 

Thanks

7 hours ago, Masterpiece said:

What have you decided on?  I am indecisive now.
I got SVA, Calarts, ACCD, Pratt, and BU (graphic design), and looking for advices according to school reputation in the field and occupation after graduate.

What program did you get in for at CalArts?

5 minutes ago, KGrrr said:

Waitlisted at Sam Fox/Wash U. (extremely flattering for me!) so champing at the bit there, crossing fingers and toes etc.

Still waiting to hear from Pratt (Integrated Practices).

Trying many methods to distract myself...

Hang in there! This process sucks! I was SO relieved when I got my acceptance! The weight instantly gets lifted...

edit: It helped me a lot to keep making work. 

Edited by EastCoastPhoto

Just now, EastCoastPhoto said:

Hang in there! This process sucks! I was SO relieved when I got my acceptance! The weight instantly gets lifted...

Thanks for the encouragement! And Congrats!

21 hours ago, Baldie15 said:

If you're sure you want to start grad school in the fall -that is, you would be happy starting at your second choice if you don't get in to your first- then I would do it. I did this when I applied to MFA programs a few years ago (I ultimately deferred), just to give myself the option, and it was no small deposit, I think it was around $800. Also given the laws of the universe once you've paid the deposit you'll probably hear back from your first choice school within 24 hrs :) I just think it all comes down to whether you're willing to do the application round again next year if you don't get in to your top choice, or if you'd rather start this year at your second choice.

Apologies for the question but how do you defer an offer? My letters of acceptance give two options "Yes, I accept" "No, I do not accept." Who do you talk to? or should I get a written agreement? And how to ask about deferring until Spring? Will I lose scholarships/TA deferring an offer? Also, please if anyone goes to Herron (IUPUI) talk to me, I really need advice before I let go. 

1 minute ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

Apologies for the question but how do you defer an offer? My letters of acceptance give two options "Yes, I accept" "No, I do not accept." Who do you talk to? or should I get a written agreement? And how to ask about deferring until Spring? Will I lose scholarships/TA deferring an offer?

I would reach out to the grad coordinator to ask if deferring is an option - some schools won't allow you to defer at all.  My understanding is that if you defer you are not guaranteed to receive your original funding offer in most cases, but I'm sure that varies by school.  Good luck!!

21 minutes ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

Apologies for the question but how do you defer an offer? My letters of acceptance give two options "Yes, I accept" "No, I do not accept." Who do you talk to? or should I get a written agreement? And how to ask about deferring until Spring? Will I lose scholarships/TA deferring an offer? Also, please if anyone goes to Herron (IUPUI) talk to me, I really need advice before I let go. 

On Herron’s FAQ, they only allow you to start in the fall, similar to most programs that I have seen.

https://herron.iupui.edu/admissions/graduate/faqs.html

Edited by EastCoastPhoto

39 minutes ago, chartblob said:

I would reach out to the grad coordinator to ask if deferring is an option - some schools won't allow you to defer at all.  My understanding is that if you defer you are not guaranteed to receive your original funding offer in most cases, but I'm sure that varies by school.  Good luck!!

Wow, glad I asked! Thanks for your answer!