MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Hey guys,

The school's postal service says 'decision sent' but I received nothing, any idea? :(It's been a week. 

I won't be that disappointed if it's a rejection letter, while I do hate the feeling of waiting for something unknown to happen...

4 hours ago, yueeeee said:

Hey guys,

The school's postal service says 'decision sent' but I received nothing, any idea? :(It's been a week. 

I won't be that disappointed if it's a rejection letter, while I do hate the feeling of waiting for something unknown to happen...

If it has been more than, say, a week, I would email them. 

I declined my interview for NYU as I received an offer for Slade. I'm still waiting to hear back from the RCA and then I'll make my decision. I will decline my SAIC offer later today too, so hopefully that's good news to anyone who has been waitlisted for Painting.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, angpangyi said:

I would like some advice about school my options!

please help me!!

Goldsmiths MFA Arts   vs   MICA MFA Painting   vs   Cranbrook MFA Painting

Hey I'm headed to Cranbrook for Painting!! I've been lurking in this thread a bit throughout the interview season...but I got so excited when I saw your post and made an account ? I haven't talked to anyone else who has gotten in or is going yet. I was deciding between Cranbrook and SAIC, but along with the funding from Cranbrook, I was really impressed by the rigor of the program (40 hours minimum in the studio per week!), and the intimate nature of the program and school. It seemed to me like a pretty unique place; a close-knit community of only grad students (about 140 total I think) where everyone knows each other, and the students + Artists-in-Residence not only work but live alongside one another. The campus is also so beautiful! It struck me as the perfect setting to really focus and produce without distraction. When I visited for the interview, everyone was so generous, welcoming, and supportive. That really impressed me too. Anyways, good luck with your decision, and let me know if you decide on Cranbrook! You have some really amazing options, so I don't think you can go wrong no matter which school you choose ? 

1 hour ago, EastCoastPhoto said:

If it has been more than, say, a week, I would email them. 

Thanks for your reply! I emailed them three days ago but got no response. Have no idea what's going on lol

1 hour ago, GWO said:

Got accepted by Parsons Design and technology, anyone also applied here? 

Congrats!!! I'm not applying for Parsons but I've heard of some admissions.

1 hour ago, paintbynumberz said:

Hey I'm headed to Cranbrook for Painting!! I've been lurking in this thread a bit throughout the interview season...but I got so excited when I saw your post and made an account ? I haven't talked to anyone else who has gotten in or is going yet. I was deciding between Cranbrook and SAIC, but along with the funding from Cranbrook, I was really impressed by the rigor of the program (40 hours minimum in the studio per week!), and the intimate nature of the program and school. It seemed to me like a pretty unique place; a close-knit community of only grad students (about 140 total I think) where everyone knows each other, and the students + Artists-in-Residence not only work but live alongside one another. The campus is also so beautiful! It struck me as the perfect setting to really focus and produce without distraction. When I visited for the interview, everyone was so generous, welcoming, and supportive. That really impressed me too. Anyways, good luck with your decision, and let me know if you decide on Cranbrook! You have some really amazing options, so I don't think you can go wrong no matter which school you choose ? 

Congrats! I didn’t realize Cranbrook has funding - is it enough to cover tuition and living expenses?

1 hour ago, yessssssss said:

Congrats! I didn’t realize Cranbrook has funding - is it enough to cover tuition and living expenses?

Perhaps I misspoke...Cranbrook has some merit scholarships and also need based grants and the combination of the two has make it affordable for me. Though I'm hesitant to be too specific since the program is so small and there could be future classmates of mine browsing this forum as well ;)

2 hours ago, yueeeee said:

Congrats!!! I'm not applying for Parsons but I've heard of some admissions.

Thank you!! Hope you get into your dream school ! But I am not sure if I should go there because of the expensive tuition ? If you know anyone has some opinion about the program, please share?

3 hours ago, paintbynumberz said:

Perhaps I misspoke...Cranbrook has some merit scholarships and also need based grants and the combination of the two has make it affordable for me. Though I'm hesitant to be too specific since the program is so small and there could be future classmates of mine browsing this forum as well ;)

Ah ok! That’s good to know. I thought they didn’t provide any funding at all! Thanks for clearing that up ?

Hi all!

Been heavily lurking this thread, decided to officially sign up haha. Thanks for all your insights, I do appreciate it!

For me I applied to and got into Pratt / Otis. I got rejected from BU.

And now I’m waiting for Cal arts, art center, and RISD. Fingers crossed. I heard risd will let us know by Friday from twitter. I saw cal arts release their BA admissions a day ago. So nervous ? 

On 14 March 2019 at 3:54 PM, DitDot said:

I'm tempting xD, bc I also got accepted to RCA painting.
I know not much about these two programs, I can't fly there to have first hand experience, and I have limited resources online ?

As an international too, I found it really helpful to email a couple past students from the programmes I applied to; I got some very detailed responses and it's lovely how willing artists are to help each other. They gave me very helpful insights into their experiences, the pros/ cons/ struggles of the programme and the sort of artist they think it bests suits (some even took the time to look at my website). This really helped me envision how I would find being on the MFA.

Hope that helps and good luck deciding :-D 

On 3/14/2019 at 11:08 AM, yessssssss said:

What schools are you still deciding between?

Visiting UT next week and I think it will help me decide if I could pick them in the event that I do not recived the Graduate Opportunity Fellowship from UCLA...

Received a rejection notice the other day via UMass Amherst's online portal.

All I've heard back from out of the 7 schools I applied to has been Yale, MECA, and UMass. Only acceptance was MECA, but their program is still unaffordable for me even with their scholarship and fin. aid package. Does anyone else think it's BS that these "TA positions" provide a stipend of only $3k per year?! 

Anyway, I'm going to chalk it up as a loss for me.  I'll develop my work some more,  and perhaps apply again in a couple of years since I'm fresh out of undergrad; although I'm thinking graduate school may not be the path for me at this point. Congratulations and good luck to everyone accepted into their programs! 

25 minutes ago, youlookguilty said:

Received a rejection notice the other day via UMass Amherst's online portal.

All I've heard back from out of the 7 schools I applied to has been Yale, MECA, and UMass. Only acceptance was MECA, but their program is still unaffordable for me even with their scholarship and fin. aid package. Does anyone else think it's BS that these "TA positions" provide a stipend of only $3k per year?! 

Anyway, I'm going to chalk it up as a loss for me.  I'll develop my work some more,  and perhaps apply again in a couple of years since I'm fresh out of undergrad; although I'm thinking graduate school may not be the path for me at this point. Congratulations and good luck to everyone accepted into their programs! 

I got the same offer from MECA. I agree with you 100%. With their huge tuition costs, that is no where close to the amount you would need to attend. It's actually crazy.

Rejection from Tyler. Kind of irritated that I had to email multiple times and was finally informed that I should be checking on TUportal - which I was never given any log in code for until asking via email on friday - FYI this is an entirely differ t site than the initial application so if you are waiting to hear from Tyler still you might want to make sure you are checking the TUportal, not the application site. I had a lot of system errors when submitting my portfolio and additional material to Temple/Tyler and it took emails to several people to finally get a response. A member of their IT Dept wasn’t able to solve the issue and an admissions rep assured me that she would place notes on my application explaining the missing and/or later materials. Which makes me wonder if this had a negative factor in the decision. Also, It looked like all but one person from their advertised admissions staff was no longer employed by as of Dec/Jan. And when I visited their booth at the Grad National Portfolio Day in Chicago in November Tamryn McDermott (no longer employed by Tyler as of Dec/Jan) informed me that the faculty members scheduled to be there were suddenly unable to make it. It all seems a little suspect. Their decision to change the schools name to include architecture also made me hesitant and curious as to what sort of changes this might bring to fine arts there. So I suppose I’m ok with this rejection. 

10 minutes ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Rejection from Tyler. Kind of irritated that I had to email multiple times and was finally informed that I should be checking on TUportal - which I was never given any log in code for until asking via email on friday - FYI this is an entirely differ t site than the initial application so if you are waiting to hear from Tyler still you might want to make sure you are checking the TUportal, not the application site. I had a lot of system errors when submitting my portfolio and additional material to Temple/Tyler and it took emails to several people to finally get a response. A member of their IT Dept wasn’t able to solve the issue and an admissions rep assured me that she would place notes on my application explaining the missing and/or later materials. Which makes me wonder if this had a negative factor in the decision. Also, It looked like all but one person from their advertised admissions staff was no longer employed by as of Dec/Jan. And when I visited their booth at the Grad National Portfolio Day in Chicago in November Tamryn McDermott (no longer employed by Tyler as of Dec/Jan) informed me that the faculty members scheduled to be there were suddenly unable to make it. It all seems a little suspect. Their decision to change the schools name to include architecture also made me hesitant and curious as to what sort of changes this might bring to fine arts there. So I suppose I’m ok with this rejection. 

Sorry you had to go through that, I went through a similar thing with UARK, where they interviewed me (so I was hopeful), then some weeks later said my app was incomplete. I ended up uploading and emailing my transcripts multiple times, before they finally officially had them in the system-it felt like they were putting a lot of effort to put me through, but they were just putting their ducks in a row to reject my app. Argh.

Crossing fingers another school works out for you!! And me!!