MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

30 minutes ago, tee_lemon said:

Is there anyone else who hasn’t heard a single thing from a school? I haven’t heard anything from two schools and I’m assuming rejection at this point.

Anyone else who hasn’t heard how are you interpreting the lack of news? 

I haven't heard anything from university of Washington. Thinking I'm waitlisted?

47 minutes ago, calmly waiting said:

I'm in the same situation. Depending on where you applied, I think it's pretty late. I would send a nice email to the department contact asking for an update.

Until I get an official rejection, I hold a small hope for an emailing telling me I've been wait listed. Unfortunately I think I was passed over. So, I'll just get busy and next year I'll adjust my approach. Or go to school to become an accountant or programmer.

You will make more money at least. :)

16 hours ago, ACarney said:

I interviewed and haven't heard back. I am getting pretty worried! If anyone has heard please let us know. 

Got an acceptance today!! Hope you've good news too ☺

I was just notified today via email that there was an update to my RISD grad application portal and it directed me to a letter that I've been waitlisted for Printmaking. Hope this info is helpful!

Note: I was not interviewed 

Edited by Brittany0Kay

I got accepted to VCU for Photo + Film on Monday. 

Also got got an interview request for San Fran State for Cinema (was told I’m a finalist, but before they can issue an acceptance letter, an interview is required). 

Still waiting on Syracuse University for Art Video. 

Buttttt I visited RISD today and might just accept their offer!!!!!

15 minutes ago, rosch said:

I got accepted to VCU for Photo + Film on Monday. 

Also got got an interview request for San Fran State for Cinema (was told I’m a finalist, but before they can issue an acceptance letter, an interview is required). 

Still waiting on Syracuse University for Art Video. 

Buttttt I visited RISD today and might just accept their offer!!!!!

Did VCU offer any funding?

Ok, this stuff is stressful: A school I had given up on (mostly) followed me on Insta. I spent about an hour thinking “ooh, maybe I’m still a candidate,” they then unfollowed. Um. My account is not private, so they could have checked me out without following...a bit confusing. And totes stressful.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:03 AM, Pallavi.Daga said:

Got an acceptance letter from Pratt Communications Design program! However, there's no mention of funding in the acceptance letter, Does anyone know if they give it out later or this means, I'm not eligible for a funding? NY is too expensive for me otherwise. ?

But I'm really happy and excited for this! ?

I received funding in my initial acceptance letter from Pratt for Com. Design.

Edited by afein

On 3/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, Aatt said:

Did they offer you any funding? I got a bit and I like the school a lot, but I’m not sure if it’s enough. 

They offered 20k (or 10k annually).

What decision did you end up making last Friday? I'm not looking forward to making mine next week.

Also, for what it is worth, graphic design may be different in outcome than other MFA programs, especially with less arty programs like SVA. Last year, I analyzed AIGA's census data and found that MFA's make $7,000 more per year on average. Of course, that is an average, but it is one reason that I decided an MFA may be worth the cost.

Edited by afein

5 hours ago, afein said:

I received funding in my initial acceptance letter from Pratt for Com. Design.

How much did you recieve? Also, what offer are you considering as final options?

Edited by Pallavi.Daga

14 hours ago, Sylvieee said:

Did VCU offer any funding?

Nope... kinda disappointed that I wasn’t offered any funding. Did you?

17 hours ago, KGrrr said:

Ok, this stuff is stressful: A school I had given up on (mostly) followed me on Insta. I spent about an hour thinking “ooh, maybe I’m still a candidate,” they then unfollowed. Um. My account is not private, so they could have checked me out without following...a bit confusing. And totes stressful.

So bizarre! Which school?