MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

8 hours ago, kitkat414 said:

Has anyone who had an interview heard back from RISD sculpture yet?

Did anyone else here apply to RISD sculpture?

I also applied RISD for Sculpture but haven't heard anythingx.x Even they didn't invite me to interview.. frustrating haha

Edited by Nik2

5 hours ago, Little Lulu said:

What Department in MICA? I have not received one yet and now I am just waiting and keep refreshing lol

Looks like MICA Sculpture decisions also sent out. I got acceptance email yesterday.

First post for me, just found out about this forum. this is fun!

Here's were I applied and my current status 

Iowa- interview

USF- Interview and accepted 

WashU -accepted 

VCU- Interview and rejected

Yale- Interview

Stanford - Interview 

Tyler - email to interview, no date when interview will be yet.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:31 AM, Morris(: said:

First post for me, just found out about this forum. this is fun!

Here's were I applied and my current status 

Iowa- interview

USF- Interview and accepted 

WashU - accepted 

VCU- Interview and rejected

Yale- Interview

Stanford - Interview 

Tyler - email to interview, no date when interview will be yet.

Hey, welcome! Congrats on all your interviews! Out of curiosity what program did you apply too? Hoping to hear back from Yale soon ?

So I have a dilemma. I was offered a TA position and generous stipend at one school that’s not top 10 but it’s a great school. I would prob come out with no debt. I got accepted to a top 3 school, but the funding just isn’t enough I would come out with 60-70k debt. Which school would u guys pick in my position? I like both programs but am toying with the idea of teaching after, so I’m wondering how much prestige matters in the academic world. I have the opportunity to teach at either school. I have to let one of the schools know today Iv already pushed the decision back and can’t push it back more. I’m stressing out. 

24 minutes ago, Aatt said:

So I have a dilemma. I was offered a TA position and generous stipend at one school that’s not top 10 but it’s a great school. I would prob come out with no debt. I got accepted to a top 3 school, but the funding just isn’t enough I would come out with 60-70k debt. Which school would u guys pick in my position? I like both programs but am toying with the idea of teaching after, so I’m wondering how much prestige matters in the academic world. I have the opportunity to teach at either school. I have to let one of the schools know today Iv already pushed the decision back and can’t push it back more. I’m stressing out. 

I’ve heard over and over again, do NOT pay for grad school. It’s not worth it. Teaching jobs are increasingly difficult to come by after school anyways, having a mountain of debt to add to that stress is gonna suck really bad. Just my two cents?

Got accepted to MICA Hoffberger! With a merit scholarship. Unfortunately wayyyy out of my price range still unless I can source further funding, so it's likely a no-go. But it is a real confidence boost to have been accepted into such a selective programme, so very grateful to them.

15 hours ago, color_aid said:

While I do not personal have experience negotiating for more funding, my partner did negotiate more funding going into her Masters. I should note that this wasn't for an MFA, but for an architecture related Masters - so I'm not sure how immediately applicable it is.

That being said, she was admitted to 3 schools and told School A that she got into to other two and couldn't immediately commit. School B was in the same town that she lived in and also had significantly cheaper tuition. After receiving the funding offer from School A, she mentioned School B's cheaper tuition as well as the cost of relocating to attend School A in an email to her contact at School A. She was polite, honest, direct and brief and got an additional $2k in scholarships with one email.

I'll also mention that she took pains to avoid any sort of hardball tactics. She was very aware that if she decided to go to School A (which she ultimately did), she'd be working closely with these people for a few years and didn't want to start that relationship off on the wrong foot.

I hope this helps.

This advice is tremendously helpful--even though I expect the schools to understand that this is a big decision, I should remember to be respectful and polite. It's just really stressful to anxiously wait for the results AND think about fundings at the same time, but this forum is definitely helping me so much! Thank you so much color_aid ??

(MFA graphic design) Got accepted from Mica with a bit funding. Got accepted from SVA with no funding. If I am doing well in risd interview, and get the offer. That will be a extremely hard choice. Knowing that risd is like always the top1 for all the time, but I m worry about their resources. SVA do provide a great resources and its NYC,  but it’s expensive. I have checked Mica’s program, I like their student work and they seems like well connected with the industry. But still...I m not sure about the career choices after graduate...what to hear some real world voice on this

56 minutes ago, MjamesPDX said:

I’ve heard over and over again, do NOT pay for grad school. It’s not worth it. Teaching jobs are increasingly difficult to come by after school anyways, having a mountain of debt to add to that stress is gonna suck really bad. Just my two cents?

This is precisely what I have heard repeatedly (often from people who did take out tons of loans). MFAs have a high philosophical/personal/societal ROI but not a high financial ROI (typically). My goal was to put myself in a position to have a better practice and possibly teach without worrying about a mountain of debt I'll never pay off. 

1 hour ago, Aatt said:

Long - I have many thoughts. This is what worked best for me, and what I need/want out of my practice. May not be what you're looking for/thinking about.

I wasn't going to grad school this year if I had to go more than 10-20k in debt. I mean realistically - if you take out 60-70k in student loans, have a 10 year repayment plan, and have an interest rate of 6% you're looking at over $700 as your monthly student debt payment. That's a lot!!!!!

The best program, in my opinion, is a program that allows your work to grow to the fullest, including after you graduate. A program that puts you in debt would be counterproductive in that regard. You won't be able to make good work if you're constantly strapped for cash. Especially as creatives, we sometimes need to spend money on supplies and space in order to work. I know that having enormous student loan payments would only hurt my outcomes post-graduation.

For the school you're getting more funding from: Do the faculty have connections with people and in cities you want to work with/in? If so, then prestige won't necessarily facilitate more connections for you unless you really want to get on that #uppertierlife. Do the alumni have outcomes that mirror what you want in your practice? If so, then that's great! Do you want to teach after grad school? TA experience I am sure will put you somewhat ahead of MFA's who do not have teaching experience.

Just some things to think about, which I also thought about heavily. I am not sure where Penn State falls on the prestige scale, but I am endlessly grateful for the fact I will not have any debt, which will give me more freedom when I graduate to do whatever the heck I want. Personally, I think prestige without funding is unethical and overrated because increased student loan burden contributes to achievement disparity in the arts based on income/background. So I am obviously somewhat biased. 

Edited by arusse

20 minutes ago, arusse said:

Long - I have many thoughts. This is what worked best for me, and what I need/want out of my practice. May not be what you're looking for/thinking about.

I wasn't going to grad school this year if I had to go more than 10-20k in debt. I mean realistically - if you take out 60-70k in student loans, have a 10 year repayment plan, and have an interest rate of 6% you're looking at over $700 as your monthly student debt payment. That's a lot!!!!!

The best program, in my opinion, is a program that allows your work to grow to the fullest, including after you graduate. A program that puts you in debt would be counterproductive in that regard. You won't be able to make good work if you're constantly strapped for cash. Especially as creatives, we sometimes need to spend money on supplies and space in order to work. I know that having enormous student loan payments would only hurt my outcomes post-graduation.

For the school you're getting more funding from: Do the faculty have connections with people and in cities you want to work with/in? If so, then prestige won't necessarily facilitate more connections for you unless you really want to get on that #uppertierlife. Do the alumni have outcomes that mirror what you want in your practice? If so, then that's great! Do you want to teach after grad school? TA experience I am sure will put you somewhat ahead of MFA's who do not have teaching experience.

Just some things to think about, which I also thought about heavily. I am not sure where Penn State falls on the prestige scale, but I am endlessly grateful for the fact I will not have any debt, which will give me more freedom when I graduate to do whatever the heck I want. Personally, I think prestige without funding is unethical and overrated because increased student loan burden contributes to achievement disparity in the arts based on income/background. So I am obviously somewhat biased. 

Yes! None of us should be going into crazy debt for an MFA, and congrats on the full ride at Penn State!

2 hours ago, Aatt said:

My MFA philosophy is to not consider going into debt unless it’s Yale. :)

22 hours ago, henryfive said:

Great! Do you mind sharing how much they offered financially? Is your tuition covered with the scholarship?

From what I've found, tuition is not covered with the assistantships. You just get a stipend equal to a little over $1,000. 

The Dean's scholarship was defined as a $2,000 scholarship to go toward your senior thesis show.

So over all it is not a huge amount of funding, but I was expecting a smaller award from them based on what previous forums have reported about aid they've received.

Been lurking a while. Got accepted to Tufts/SMFA with a $30K scholarship (15K/year). It's nice, but I was also hoping to get in at Mass Art 2D/3D. I just got a rejection letter. The interview had gone really well. I am wondering why I'd get into one and not the other - is Mass Art much more competitive? It wasn't the impression I had gotten... Anyway I am excited about SMFA and good to see others here are too. :) Good luck everyone still waiting on decisions!

7 hours ago, Aatt said:

I am struggling with a similar decision and it’s definitely keeping me up at night! Since most people on here are saying to not go into debt, I thought I would share the flip side I have heard from several different artists who got their MFAs from middle/lower tier programs for free. They told me to really evaluate what I want out of the program because if it IS to be an artist (not choosing teaching out of scarcity mind set/stability) then the connections really do help you at the top schools. Of course some people who go to Yale end up working at a restaurant and creating and some people who dont ever get their MFA can support themselves with their work. Looking at the success of the recent alumni and location (which is important!) can be really helpful to see if it’s worth it for you. Or maybe speaking with someone who has loans and went to a top 3 school...? I have no idea what to do either...I guess I’m just sharing what I have heard from most of the grads I’ve spoken to. Overall evaluating your true goals for getting an MFA is helpful in making a decision. 

1 hour ago, Bedouine said:

Been lurking a while. Got accepted to Tufts/SMFA with a $30K scholarship (15K/year). It's nice, but I was also hoping to get in at Mass Art 2D/3D. I just got a rejection letter. The interview had gone really well. I am wondering why I'd get into one and not the other - is Mass Art much more competitive? It wasn't the impression I had gotten... Anyway I am excited about SMFA and good to see others here are too. :) Good luck everyone still waiting on decisions!

It is not always about skill, experience, portfolio, statement, how well you interviewed, or any combination of the above. Sometimes they just need someone different to balance out the cohort. Congrats on SMFA!

2 hours ago, Bedouine said:

Congratulations, me too! Not sure if I’ll be able to afford to go but I’m going to try! 

On 2/27/2019 at 4:47 PM, savcal said:

Got accepted to Columbia Chicago today!!! I'm over the moon! Praying funding comes through!

On 2/27/2019 at 5:09 PM, freedom flashing said:

Congratulations! Me too!

Do you two plan to go to CCC?

8 hours ago, arusse said:

Thanks this is really helpful I’m leaning toward the cheaper school but I keep going back and forth. I think this is the most stressful decision Iv ever had to make. Yeah I’m thinking I might want to teach not 100% sure yet though, gotta try it to see if I’m good at it, but I was offered a ta at the cheaper school so would get that experience. I had kinda set 40k as the max amount of debt I wanted to go into for grad school. The problem with location is the more expensive school is the city I would like to end up after graduation so the connections there would be better. 

Congrats on penn state btw that’s great!