MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Just now, Print2000 said:

Hi there- has anyone heard from Tyler yet?! Trying to remain patient ... good luck everyone!

what programme?

Anyone received MICA graphic design acceptanc yet? I had an interview and got invited to an event there, but am still waiting on results. 

30 minutes ago, Ais said:

Is paying $22,000 a year for an MFA good/ the average? (That is half tuition and will also have a $10,000 a year stipend) -offer entails 10 hours TA

Realising in my position I didn't really think this whole studying in the U.S thing through enough .... $44,000 in debt if I can even miraculously get a loan from my country (UK). Feeling pretty gutted. I thought it was finally my time after non-stop rejections from everything I've applied to the past few years.

Any thoughts or fellow UK applicants?

I'm an international applicant (currently living in the States), and – while I don't know what's the average – the advice that I got during my first portfolio review day 2 years ago (from a very kind professor who took a break from the undergrads reviews and chatted with me informally) was: "Don't take the loans, figure out how to do it without paying". 

There are a few great programs that waive tuition for most/all applicants (Rutgers, UT Austin, UCLA, VCU) AND there are state universities where tuition is very low and they might waive the non-resident part of the tuition if they accept you (UoF, Florida State University - these are just the schools in the state I live that have excellent funding). State schools might not have the same reputation as Yale, Rutgers, and other top schools, so if you want to teach they might not be your best bet. But if you need time, concentration, studio space and you're happy with the faculty in your concentration, they are very much worth looking into. 

$10k annual stipend is helpful, but it's not a livable wage in most of the US cities. I would personally not be able to bear the stress of working in the studio, studying AND working a part-time job to pay the bills AND having a private bank loan (but I might be spoiled + I have the elderly family to take care of in my home country). Plus, you won't be able to work full-time or take jobs unrelated to your major outside of campus while you're in school because of the J1 visa restrictions, so your loan would likely end up being more. 

My point is: believe in yourself, it's worth trying to find a school that will help you grow as an artist and not leave you broke. Loans work for some people, expensive schools work for some people, but it's important to decide whether you feel comfortable making these financial commitments and how it will impact your life in the next decade. 

10 minutes ago, Meaou said:

I'm an international applicant (currently living in the States), and – while I don't know what's the average – the advice that I got during my first portfolio review day 2 years ago (from a very kind professor who took a break from the undergrads reviews and chatted with me informally) was: "Don't take the loans, figure out how to do it without paying". 

There are a few great programs that waive tuition for most/all applicants (Rutgers, UT Austin, UCLA, VCU) AND there are state universities where tuition is very low and they might waive the non-resident part of the tuition if they accept you (UoF, Florida State University - these are just the schools in the state I live that have excellent funding). State schools might not have the same reputation as Yale, Rutgers, and other top schools, so if you want to teach they might not be your best bet. But if you need time, concentration, studio space and you're happy with the faculty in your concentration, they are very much worth looking into. 

$10k annual stipend is helpful, but it's not a livable wage in most of the US cities. I would personally not be able to bear the stress of working in the studio, studying AND working a part-time job to pay the bills AND having a private bank loan (but I might be spoiled + I have the elderly family to take care of in my home country). Plus, you won't be able to work full-time or take jobs unrelated to your major outside of campus while you're in school because of the J1 visa restrictions, so your loan would likely end up being more. 

My point is: believe in yourself, it's worth trying to find a school that will help you grow as an artist and not leave you broke. Loans work for some people, expensive schools work for some people, but it's important to decide whether you feel comfortable making these financial commitments and how it will impact your life in the next decade. 

I totally agree with almost everything your saying Meaou. I just wanted to add from what I've personally been told/experienced, attending a state school typically doesn't negatively affect someones chances of getting hired as a professor. State schools often give students a full two or three years teaching experience whereas private art colleges may not even offer the chance to teach to each student. When I've looked at faculty as I was deciding where to apply; typically, there is a even split between faculty who attended state vs private art colleges. I'm sure there is some merit to attending a highly regarded program (though rankings do change)  but also there has to be merit in having years of teaching experience and student work portfolios when applying for a teaching position.  

1 hour ago, Ais said:

Is paying $22,000 a year for an MFA good/ the average? (That is half tuition and will also have a $10,000 a year stipend) -offer entails 10 hours TA

Realising in my position I didn't really think this whole studying in the U.S thing through enough .... $44,000 in debt if I can even miraculously get a loan from my country (UK). Feeling pretty gutted. I thought it was finally my time after non-stop rejections from everything I've applied to the past few years.

Long time lurker here. As a fellow intl applicant, I say don't take out loans at all unless you have to. You'll be on F1/J1 visa with work restrictions & a work permit (H1B/ OPT) if you choose to work in the US post-grad. The job market is straight up unkind to immigrants now thanks to politics, and adding private loans to this burden does not help. Of course, if you're determined and confident in these respects, go ahead. Otherwise, maybe it's a good idea to negotiate with the program or apply for Fulbright/ whatever grant you might qualify for. Your embassy might be a good place to call. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Ais said:

I think most people are paying that if not more. Yes, some programs are cheaper/free, but $44k isn’t really so bad in the grand scheme of things. Sure, less/free is better, but you also have to consider if you would want to do another round of applications/year of waiting.

Edited by EastCoastPhoto

On 3/5/2019 at 5:26 PM, afein said:

Pratt is the only school I haven't heard from. @fiowwn said last Wednesday that they have not heard from Pratt either.

Every other program will have made offers by the time they conduct interviews. I wonder what is going on?

I've gotten a response and Nik2 apparently has as well. I think Design is running behind schedule.

On Wed Mar 06 2019 at 5:18 AM, photogirl said:

Hey everyone!!! I've been checking my mailbox 4 times a day these days, awaiting results from SAIC Photography MFA program. Anyone heard back from them yet? I am so curious. Is there a chance they skipped me or something? Should I reach out to them?

Thank youuu!

I have heard that SAIC already sent the offer two weeks ago by DHL..... the rejections were sent by US portal services

15 hours ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Congrats! I am still waiting to hear from several schools and I need to figure out financial aid because I do not have a penny in savings to cover the remaining tuition + housing in Boston (I have 2 dogs so a roommate situation isn’t ideal for me, but even tiny studios in Boston are very expensive). But of my remaining schools to hear from, SMFA is definitely at the top so I’m determined to find a way to do it.

If we both end up in Boston we should meet up!

OMG... I have a one-year old husky! We should definitely meet up if we both decide to go to Boston haha!

2 hours ago, DDDcat said:

I have heard that SAIC already sent the offer two weeks ago by DHL..... the rejections were sent by US portal services

I honestly would be fine with a rejection too, all I really want is to hear something back. The prolonged wait is weird and it is killing me. I called them two days ago and they said they would e-mail me with my application status but never did :(

Just was accepted into MICA Rinehart School of Sculpture with a wonderful scholarship. So overwhelmed, I still can’t believe it ??

Honestly thought my interview went horribly (also sick with a high fever and strep throat at the time). So I’m just still in complete shock by this acceptance!! Aghhh