MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

6 hours ago, MjamesPDX said:

So just out of curiosity- and I throw this question out there for everyone- how do you guys plan on making up the difference in tuition costs and living fees after your scholarship money offers? Some schools for instance have a $55,000+ per year tuition cost, plus a mandatory $1000+ health insurance fee, several academic fees and then of course there’s room and board.. Are you guys taking out graduate loans or how are you paying for all this?

I know it’s not ideal, but I think I’ll have to continue working a part time job just to pay rent while in school :( What’s your guy’s academic financial plans?

I'm really hoping for a good funding package (accepted to Tyler Painting but now waiting on funding offer); all admitted students at least get a TA position but the amount of tuition it covers varies. 

I know I will still need a loan of some sort, which I have NO IDEA where from since I'm from  UK/ Ireland and we have ONE government student loans company and they don't fund studying abroad...a private bank loan seems like a very undesirable option....

so I did a phone interview with UC Berkeley on Feb 6th -- the professor I interviewed with said I should hear back from them in 2 weeks, but they haven't contacted me since. I know schools aren't always on schedule (did smfa interview on Feb 6th also, the interviewer told me that I should hear back from them within a month and I got accepted 2 weeks later), but I'm getting pretty anxious. Would it be okay for me to email her/them and ask whats up? Or should I wait?

1 hour ago, mlem said:

so I did a phone interview with UC Berkeley on Feb 6th -- the professor I interviewed with said I should hear back from them in 2 weeks, but they haven't contacted me since. I know schools aren't always on schedule (did smfa interview on Feb 6th also, the interviewer told me that I should hear back from them within a month and I got accepted 2 weeks later), but I'm getting pretty anxious. Would it be okay for me to email her/them and ask whats up? Or should I wait?

It's okay to mail as long as you're not being too creepy about it!

3 hours ago, CloverLeaf said:

Accepted: SAIC| MFA Visual Communication Design. Via email and official letter by post.

Hey, fellow Indian! Which are the programs you applied for?

On 2/27/2019 at 6:54 PM, fiowwn said:

I ll be appreciated! And we almost have the same school list. I interviewed with MICA, my SVA interview is coming in this week, and I m preparing my risd interview as well. But i have not hear anything from CCA, parsons, Pratt. For parsons I applied to D&T, just for the 2 year MFA. I guess pratt will be the last one to get in touch w me.

My RISD interview was the least typical experience I've had. They asked mostly individual or portfolio-based questions and spent a large part of the interview discussing/selling the program.The only general question was "Why do you want to go to grad school?" Sorry, I can't be more helpful!

Everyone was really great though. I left feeling very good about the program.

Is anyone planning to have Skype interview with CalArts? I haven't heard the skype interview schedule yet :( I sent email to coordinator but no reply and official interview day is coming...! Have you guys already gotten confirmed schedule???

2 minutes ago, Bol said:

Is anyone planning to have Skype interview with CalArts? I haven't heard the skype interview schedule yet :( I sent email to coordinator but no reply and official interview day is coming...! Have you guys already gotten confirmed schedule???

I just received my Skype interview confirmation hours ago (scheduled for Tuesday, Photo dept). I feel coordinators are a little overwhelmed with planning on-campus interview day and Skype interviews, so hang in there!

3 hours ago, Meaou said:

I just received my Skype interview confirmation hours ago (scheduled for Tuesday, Photo dept). I feel coordinators are a little overwhelmed with planning on-campus interview day and Skype interviews, so hang in there!

Tuesday interview and the schedule confirmed few hrs ago??? ? OMG Thank you for answering!! And Good luck for your interview ;)

I heard nothing from RISD until now(applied for sculpture). Is there anyone like me?? I lost my hope long time ago. But I'm just curious now why they don't send me a rejection notification?

7 hours ago, afein said:

My RISD interview was the least typical experience I've had. They asked mostly individual or portfolio-based questions and spent a large part of the interview discussing/selling the program.The only general question was "Why do you want to go to grad school?" Sorry, I can't be more helpful!

Everyone was really great though. I left feeling very good about the program.

hahahaha, selling program sounds quite hilarious since it’s from Risd! Thanks for sharing. I hope I ll do a great job like you do. I guess I ll got my official offer letter from SVA soon, I checked my portal and it said so.

I got an acceptance letter from SMFA!!!!! And a $15,000 a year scholarship!!!!! If there was an emoji for fainting and then laying on the ground giggling with glee that would be me haha. SOOOOO much RELIEF!!! Hopefully this is just the first acceptance and I’ll have some options but if not, I’m BEYOND HAPPY and I am DETERMINED to figure out funding this! 

Been watching this thread since it started and I've been a huge fan of these threads since 2017 hope everyone is doing well.

Second time applying and I'm 3 years out of college. Only applied to Hunter, Pratt and Cranbrook for painting. Already got rejected by Hunter-- anyone got updates on the interviews for either Pratt or Cranbrook? The anticipation is killing me; but I also applied to literally every residency in the Midwest applicable to someone straight out of college (Oxbow,  ACRE, Ragdale) and Skowhegan if my portfolio isn't up to snuff. 

I don't want the application process to slow down the creative furvor either so I'm distracting myself by making a whole bunch of stuff. 

Wish me luck!

On 3/2/2019 at 3:53 AM, Nik2 said:

Hi y'all.

I got accepted to Pratt, and they offered me $60,000($15,000/semester)!!!

I'm still waiting results for other schools but I'm SOOOOO excited XD!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea about average amount of scholarship so I'm wondering is it normal amount of scholarship from Pratt?

And I'm waiting for results from these schools.

UCLA-interviewed

Cranbrook-interviewed

RISD-heard nothing

MICA-interviewed

What program(s) did you apply to?

36 minutes ago, cixelated said:

What program(s) did you apply to?

Digital Imaging:)

I applied Cranbrook as well!

(for Sculpture)

Wish luck both of us?

Edited by Nik2

4 hours ago, MIRO. said:

Has anyone heard back from SAIC Printmedia after they had the interview?

Also, has RISD Printmaking contacted any printmaking applicants?

I interviewed with SAIC Printmedia and also haven't heard anything  yet.  Getting very curious about what's going on there because people have reported hearing from most other departments. 

I don't remember how this worked last year.

Does financial aid come from two different areas of the University sometimes?

For example, I got a TA with a stipend and tuition remission via email from the director of the art department. I also got an email from the actual financial aid office from the University stating they received my FAFSA and to expect a financial aid package in the mail. 

Is it possible that I could get more funding outside of the art department from the University itself?

It's kind of a confusing question, I'm sorry!

8 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

For example, I got a TA with a stipend and tuition remission via email from the director of the art department. I also got an email from the actual financial aid office from the University stating they received my FAFSA and to expect a financial aid package in the mail. 

Is it possible that I could get more funding outside of the art department from the University itself?

I had emailed the NCSU admissions department today regarding the same and from what I inferred by their reply,  your assumption is correct. Most universities have a different financial aid sector within the admissions office which applies for (generally) domestic students. For international applicants, its mostly whatever the department has to offer, be it TAships/RAships or merit based scholarships. I hope that clears your query.

3 minutes ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

I had emailed the NCSU admissions department today regarding the same and from what I inferred by their reply,  your assumption is correct. Most universities have a different financial aid sector within the admissions office which applies for (generally) domestic students. For international applicants, its mostly whatever the department has to offer, be it TAships/RAships or merit based scholarships. I hope that clears your query.

Thanks so much, Pallavi! 

Hope I get some more funding soon then!

How are your applications going?

14 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

I think the specific department you apply for generally controls the more merit based funding like tuition remission and assistantships whereas the financial aid office will tell you the loans and amount of loans you qualify for annually. 

1 hour ago, ns5607 said:

I interviewed with SAIC Printmedia and also haven't heard anything  yet.  Getting very curious about what's going on there because people have reported hearing from most other departments. 

Ok! Thanks. Ughh the wait is driving me crazy. 

12 minutes ago, artperson said:

I think the specific department you apply for generally controls the more merit based funding like tuition remission and assistantships whereas the financial aid office will tell you the loans and amount of loans you qualify for annually. 

In my email, the art dept. Director told me some additional funding opportunities include several Dean's fellowships. 

So I was curious if he didn't have control over fellowships and that's decided by the University itself. 

Hmm, I guess we'll find out! Thanks @artperson