MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

5 hours ago, youlookguilty said:

Anyone hear back from University of Oregon yet? I saw on their website they plan on sending out phone interview requests in mid-late February and acceptance decisions in March. 

There’s a group of us here still waiting to hear back as well.. I don’t think anyone has gotten an invitation to even interview yet. The admissions department sent me an email on Feb 15th saying that applications were still being reviewed and that they expect invitations to go out early March.. sooo any day now. Keep checking back ;)

1 hour ago, Zander said:

Accepted to UCLA Painting! 

Wow congrats! Would you be willing to tell us how the process has been with them? What was the interview like? How did you approach the application? Is there funding? There’s so little info about them on these boards and it would be amazing to have some insight.

10 minutes ago, yessssssss said:

Wow congrats! Would you be willing to tell us how the process has been with them? What was the interview like? How did you approach the application? Is there funding? There’s so little info about them on these boards and it would be amazing to have some insight.

Agreed - please share everything! Congratulations! 

7 hours ago, afein said:

My interview with RISD is on Saturday, March 2, so I am happy to update on Sunday.

That said, I've had three interviews so far. In every interview, I've received the same core questions: Why do you want to get out of grad school; Why do you want to go to this grad school; Tell me about this project? Those question take up 50–75% of the interview.

The other questions have been individual. For example, I studied philosophy in undergrad, and so MICA asked, How do you incorporate philosophy into design? For the same reason, SVA asked, How did you learn design? In another example, RCA asked, Are you familiar with these artists that produce work similar to yours (I didn't, btw)? Having gone through three interviews, my best advice is know your own work and be confident in your own viewpoint. After all, that's why you got the interview.

I ll be appreciated! And we almost have the same school list. I interviewed with MICA, my SVA interview is coming in this week, and I m preparing my risd interview as well. But i have not hear anything from CCA, parsons, Pratt. For parsons I applied to D&T, just for the 2 year MFA. I guess pratt will be the last one to get in touch w me.

3 hours ago, beep beep said:

thank you!!! this is actually quite reassuring to hear. do you recommend waiting a bit to see what funding options come through, or asking sooner? was it also from cca, or another school? thanks again. 

also---i haven't seen anyone else mention emily carr here, but i did get an email from them today that they are having a delay in admission results due to "unforeseen circumstances" so...just an update if anyone was looking for it. 

It was from another school. Did they say anything about upcoming details/further information relating to your offer, including a formal offer letter? I might send an email thanking them for the acceptance and asking about next steps and they can tell you if you should expect any information about funding, deadlines, etc.

50 minutes ago, prodmod said:

It was from another school. Did they say anything about upcoming details/further information relating to your offer, including a formal offer letter? I might send an email thanking them for the acceptance and asking about next steps and they can tell you if you should expect any information about funding, deadlines, etc.

that's good advice!! they're pretty vague in the acceptance email, though talked quite a bit about the ways i can visit the program to make my decision. unsure if i should expect anything else based on this phrasing tbh...i've only heard back from two schools so far, but they were quite differently formatted. the first outlined the funding options right away, and then this one makes no mention other than a guaranteed TA position and the deadline to accept the admission offer or not. i am local to the area, so it's easy for me to pop over and talk to them but phrasing a question for funding feels like something possibly more tactfully done over an email? 

given i'm also waiting to hear back about my options from other programs, i wonder if i should also wait to see if i have any leverage, so to speak. idk. it's where i'd really like to go, but def can't afford full tuition. ?

Edited by beep beep

Had my interview with the VisCom department in SAIC 11 days ago, and they told me I should know the results in two to three weeks, but it has been extremely anxiety inducing for me since I heard other departments like painting and printmaking are already sending out results. Fingers crossed.

If there are any viscom peeps or graphic design MFA applicants here let me know!!! 

26 minutes ago, Chauncey said:

Congrats!

Well, I just got my rejection from them yesterday, a little disappointed, you know it's NYC:(

Sorry :( you got some interviews with other great schools so far though!  You had a MICA interview right? How did that go? I think they are meeting tomorrow after they finish interviews to decide, so we should find out soon after that 

12 hours ago, JadeySheng said:

Had my interview with the VisCom department in SAIC 11 days ago, and they told me I should know the results in two to three weeks, but it has been extremely anxiety inducing for me since I heard other departments like painting and printmaking are already sending out results. Fingers crossed.

If there are any viscom peeps or graphic design MFA applicants here let me know!!! 

I had my Saic master of fashion interview  on 12th Feb. I haven't heard anyone got offer from this department.I just called the fashion department to ask how long I could get any feedback. They said our applications are being processed, they still need more time to make decision.

I think your programme are under the same situation with mine. don't panic

On 2/21/2019 at 1:38 AM, heydd said:

Hi! I ended up having to change my interview to a later date so I haven't had it yet. Mine is the day after tomorrow. Did you have yours? If so, how did it go? :)

I think it went terrible haha. However I just found out that I'm wait listed, which is an honor but also frustrating ?

2 hours ago, DDDcat said:

I had my Saic master of fashion interview  on 12th Feb. I haven't heard anyone got offer from this department.I just called the fashion department to ask how long I could get any feedback. They said our applications are being processed, they still need more time to make decision.

I think your programme are under the same situation with mine. don't panic

Thanks! That's comforting to know haha! And best of luck to you! Is it your top choice?

17 hours ago, fiowwn said:

I ll be appreciated! And we almost have the same school list. I interviewed with MICA, my SVA interview is coming in this week, and I m preparing my risd interview as well. But i have not hear anything from CCA, parsons, Pratt. For parsons I applied to D&T, just for the 2 year MFA. I guess pratt will be the last one to get in touch w me.

Haha, we do have the same school list! I didn't apply to CCA, and I haven't heard anything from Pratt either.

I did receive an interview invitation on Tuesday, the 26th, from Parsons for Design & Technology. It was a very informal email, written by a faculty member. That is, it was not automated or set-up by an admin. So I think the interview requests will be rolling out as faculty has time to send and schedule. If you've gotten MICA, SVA and RISD interviews, I'm sure you'll hear something in the next week.

I just finished my interview with Yale. It went really well... and in my experience when interviews go really well, one usually doesn't get in. It was just really friendly, definitely not what I was expecting at all. I was prepared for it to go horribly wrong ?

24 minutes ago, artsixteen said:

I just finished my interview with Yale. It went really well... and in my experience when interviews go really well, one usually doesn't get in. It was just really friendly, definitely not what I was expecting at all. I was prepared for it to go horribly wrong ?

What no way, if it went well that’s a good sign, you prob will get in and if not getting an interview at Yale in and of itself is an accomplishment. I’m sure u did great!