MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

36 minutes ago, sunflowerlemon said:

Ah, me too. Do you have any thoughts on their summer studio program? I hadn't considered it that seriously before but my rejection email came with the encouragement to apply for it / fee waiver, so am vaguely thinking about it.

I've applied before and received the same email so it feels a little like a money grab to me...however if the facilities and access to faculty seem worth the money I certainly wouldn't talk anyone out of it

Has anyone heard anything about Fashion MFA?

I applied:

Parsons-

FIT-

SAIC-interviewed

RISD-

SCAD- accepted

I guess I will be rejected by Parsons, FIT and RISD since I don't have any feedback by far…? Hopefully I can get the offer by SAIC!!!!

My last choice would be SCAD, Savannah College of Art and Design. anyone heard it?????

2 hours ago, sunflowerlemon said:

Ah, me too. Do you have any thoughts on their summer studio program? I hadn't considered it that seriously before but my rejection email came with the encouragement to apply for it / fee waiver, so am vaguely thinking about it.

sunflowerlemon, I'm a painter and I participated in SSP 2017. It was great in many ways but very clique-y in others. The visiting artists were great, so you get a lot of exposure to new thoughts and ideas constantly. While living in Richmond over the summer is hot, rent isn't too expensive--I found a sublet on CL for $500/month. If money is a question, do note that there seemed to be an expectation to hang out/go out/eat out with visiting artists and that added up very quickly. The sculpture studios are decently sized open spaces, and the "painting studios" are just empty classrooms that you would share with 1-3 others. A lot of people did not get along with the artists running the program. However, some of the regular sculpture faculty at VCU were incredibly great to work with, even as a painter. The program is what you make it, and VCU is known for a strong sculpture department. I would say to go for it if you have the funds available (count on at least $7000, probably more) and encourage non-cliquey-ness in your own way to create a better experience for the group and yourself. The group I joined was pretty young, very spirited, but people in our groups were from all walks and making art on all different levels. Some folks who go to VCU's SSP do get in to VCU's MFA program later, and I think the connections are nice if you are willing to maintain them. The biggest value is in the network, so if you plan on maintaining that, then it isn't a bad idea.

Edited by maddog72

Hi all, 

Haven't heard from UCLA painting yet. Seems like two people on this forum have. Wishing you all the best.

So far:

SVA Art practices--Accepted
UCLA Painting-- Haven't heard a peep
Bard MFA-- Waitlisted for interview
CU Boulder P+D--Accepted
CMU-- Rejected

1 hour ago, maddog72 said:

Hi all, 

Haven't heard from UCLA painting yet. Seems like two people on this forum have. Wishing you all the best.

So far:

SVA Art practices--Accepted
UCLA Painting-- Haven't heard a peep
Bard MFA-- Waitlisted for interview
CU Boulder P+D--Accepted
CMU-- Rejected

When did you hear from cu boulder painting and drawing? I interviewed but haven't heard anything. 

4 hours ago, DDDcat said:

Has anyone heard anything about Fashion MFA?

I applied:

Parsons-

FIT-

SAIC-interviewed

RISD-

SCAD- accepted

I guess I will be rejected by Parsons, FIT and RISD since I don't have any feedback by far…? Hopefully I can get the offer by SAIC!!!!

My last choice would be SCAD, Savannah College of Art and Design. anyone heard it?????

I applied for SCAD too. Have you received their interview invitation? I really don't like the school since they require applicants in our country to attend an interview (in person), and have to pay the enrollment fee in three days which is 500 dollars. Otherwise the spot is gone. It is my last choice as well, so I have to attend the interview anyway... 

Edited by yueeeee

5 hours ago, yueeeee said:

I applied for SCAD too. Have you received their interview invitation? I really don't like the school since they require applicants in our country to attend an interview (in person), and have to pay the enrollment fee in three days which is 500 dollars. Otherwise the spot is gone. It is my last choice as well, so I have to attend the interview anyway... 

I applied to SCAD too, got accepted, but I never interviewed. They also didn’t really give me a date I had to accept by. I asked and they said roughly 60-90 days. Each department might be different though, some might have interviews and others might not. 

On 2/22/2019 at 1:13 PM, aparas33 said:

I’m not sure what this means but I’m thinking it’s a rejection? Sculpture dept:

Thank you for applying to Bard MFA. The Graduate Committee and Faculty have carefully reviewed all applications and selected approximately 12 candidates per discipline to interview on March 2nd. I am sorry to say that you were not selected for an interview on March 2nd. 

Please know that the admissions and acceptance process will take some time. Your application is now and will remain in good standing until final decisions have been made. At any point in this process you may be notified of a change to your application status.

Thank you for your patience. We send you every wish for continued good work.

What do they mean good standing? I’m a little confused lol 

Is this the waitlist for the interview? Like whet

I received the same email for sculpture. I thought it was a rejection but my mom (works at UCLA) says it’s a waitlist. But I’m starting to think if we all got the same email it might be their way of sending rejections but still having people on standby while they make final decisions ? 

10 hours ago, prodmod said:

Has anyone heard anything from UCLA's Design Media Arts program? Waiting on that one and CMU. Nary a peep, but I've waited this long I can keep going. 

UCLA doesn’t send out anything until about mid March. They use a quarter system so their fall semester starts later than most other schools, therefore they have more time to make their decisions and don’t have to rush. At least that’s my understanding, waiting to hear from them as well ?

31 minutes ago, chartblob said:

Got an acceptance from Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign yesterday! I burst into tears when I opened their email. Still waiting on funding news but so happy

I did undergrad there. Champaign is nice little college town. Congratulations!  

hi everyone - has anyone heard from UT Austin, University of Chicago, or University of Pennsylvania?

also, this is where i'm at right now:

university of minnesota- accepted 1/28 (no interview)

ut austin - interviewed 2/5

university of pennsylvania - interviewed 2/13 

northwestern - rejected

university of chicago - nothing 

19 minutes ago, arely said:

hi everyone - has anyone heard from UT Austin, University of Chicago, or University of Pennsylvania?

also, this is where i'm at right now:

university of minnesota- accepted 1/28 (no interview)

ut austin - interviewed 2/5

university of pennsylvania - interviewed 2/13 

northwestern - rejected

university of chicago - nothing 

What area did you apply to? For UT Austin there have been acceptences to painting and photo on this board. I interviewed with painting on 2/2 and haven’t heard anything so guessing waitlist or rejection at this point.

Edited by yessssssss

12 minutes ago, yessssssss said:

What area did you apply to?

photo/moving image areas 

ughhhh- i just received an email from the head of photo department saying " Please note that these deliberations do take time… thank you for your patience!"

I guess this means i'm waitlisted ??

Edited by arely

On 2/25/2019 at 1:23 PM, duyens said:

SAIC painting results are out. I just got a call from thenDean with an offer and a dean’s sholarship. Hopefully more fundings come thru. :) i hope more ppl will hear good news soon! 

If you don't mind me asking, how much does SAIC's dean scholarship compensate towards the tuition?