MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

1 hour ago, honghong said:

also y'all - someone said this earlier: THIS PROCESS IS DEHUMANIZING.

let's not forget that all universities have essentially become corporations, and that as artists, school is a tiny fraction of our efforts. significant, but still small. our journey, with art and for art, will likely be thread throughout the entirety of our lives. there is a trajectory the work will walk, and it is our honor, and our duty, to protect it and fight for it. everything else is probably an illusion. highfives all around. you rock. 

that being said, i'm stressed as f*** lol. stay warm. 

Well put, and yes, this process sucks. I really underestimated how stressful it would be. Hang in there! 

I just went for a walk in a nearby nature preserve and made a bunch of photos. It felt great to make a lot of new work and be alone in the tranquilty of those woods. I might try to keep making work to distract me from the waiting.

Best of luck to you and everyone else!

Edited by EastCoastPhoto
Grammar

2 hours ago, Zander said:

Very late last night I received two painting interview request from two different painting faculty at UCLA lol! I'm unsure if the two interview request is a mistake on UCLA part, their admission process is so obscure--who knows! 

Congrats on the interview! You received a call or email? I'm still waiting on UCLA. I know, last year  interview requests were sent the last week of February. Best of luck! 

Damn, just got rejected by UCI and I am starting to realize how much a blessing rejection is.  Getting comfortable with that seems like it'll be a super power.  Shout out to all those with rejection in their emails, gonna get bulletproof

45 minutes ago, TheRealHankHill said:

Damn, just got rejected by UCI and I am starting to realize how much a blessing rejection is.  Getting comfortable with that seems like it'll be a super power.  Shout out to all those with rejection in their emails, gonna get bulletproof

After getting ny 3rd rejection out of the 6 programs I applied to (and quiet a few rejections from various residencies I applied to last year), I totally agreed with you. It feels like a super power to take these rejections and not let them overwhelm/kill off your motivation to make work/continue your creative pursues. 

To echo others’ comments, the wait is driving me a little insane each day but making new work is helping. We’ll get through this! :) 

49 minutes ago, TheRealHankHill said:

So true about getting bulletproof towards rejections!

I've been happily surprised with my applications, but this is the first time since I finished my BFA (3 years ago) where I have applied to virtually ANYTHING and not been rejected; including things were the applicant pool was much smaller. 

We just need to keep going, move onto the next thing, have a thick skin and most importantly, keep creating! 

Did anyone else apply to RISD printmaking? I know RISD tends to move a bit slower overall, but seeing their other departments move forward with interviews/acceptances makes me nervous!

I was rejected from SUNY New Paltz: Painting/Drawing which was sort of my "safety school", so now I'm in a full panic and questioning everything, haha! Truly wish I had found these forums before the application process! 

1 hour ago, TheRealHankHill said:

Although its for Creative Writing MFAs, still so accurate!

https://themfayears.com/2015/03/23/so-you-didnt-get-accepted-into-an-mfa-program/

@TheRealHankHill thank you so much for sharing, that article helped more than I can tell you.

I didn't have much dough for apps, so I just applied to 4, but it has been a waaaay different and much more stressful experience than I anticipated.

So far:

• Outright rejection from CMU (not a surprise, I guess, as it is a long-shot, but one of my recs has close ties there  and a lot of confidence in my work)
  • An early interview with UARK (I then totally fell in love with their department, I thought the interview went really well and I was a bit excited)--followed by a rejection.
  • No word yet from UCONN or Sam Fox...but I must say, my confidence for an acceptence has dwindled...

But that article is helping me keep my confidence in my work up!! 

And, yes, I cried at the UARK rejection. Went for a hike. Took a bubble bath. Etc. Etc.

Today, I'm trying to focus on current projects and future steps...

Hang in there, friends. 

Edited by KGrrr

3 hours ago, TheRealHankHill said:

The further I get into this process, the more I think that the rejections are as important to my artistic growth as the programs themselves will be. This is the long game, and rejection is the norm. If you can keep making work in spite of serious disappointment, I think that's as valuable to your practice as a critique you might get from a graduate school professor. This isn't to be conciliatory or to diminish people's acceptances; everyone is working their asses off, and school is a wonderful opportunity. Just a reminder that rejection can also be part of your growth as an artist, an invitation to become legit AF and make art regardless of outcomes. In much more practical terms, applying also is a repeatable contest, not a one-time decree of who has a future and who doesn't. you are allowed to grow and reapply, or to grow and be an artist on a different path.

I also love this article, however twee: 

https://lithub.com/why-you-should-aim-for-100-rejections-a-year/

I literally don't think I could afford applying to 100 things, but the past two years I've applied to 10 (residencies, shows, publications, whatever) each year, inspired by this article (perhaps embarrassingly). Got two acceptances in 2017 and three in 2018, and those were among my first applications. Not sure I would have had that yield if I didn't cast a frequent net. 

Edited by scentofaseagull

I’m not sure what this means but I’m thinking it’s a rejection? Sculpture dept:

Thank you for applying to Bard MFA. The Graduate Committee and Faculty have carefully reviewed all applications and selected approximately 12 candidates per discipline to interview on March 2nd. I am sorry to say that you were not selected for an interview on March 2nd. 

Please know that the admissions and acceptance process will take some time. Your application is now and will remain in good standing until final decisions have been made. At any point in this process you may be notified of a change to your application status.

Thank you for your patience. We send you every wish for continued good work.

What do they mean good standing? I’m a little confused lol 

Is this the waitlist for the interview? Like whet

10 minutes ago, aparas33 said:

Thank you for applying to Bard MFA. The Graduate Committee and Faculty have carefully reviewed all applications and selected approximately 12 candidates per discipline to interview on March 2nd. I am sorry to say that you were not selected for an interview on March 2nd. 

Please know that the admissions and acceptance process will take some time. Your application is now and will remain in good standing until final decisions have been made. At any point in this process you may be notified of a change to your application status.

Sounds like a interview waitlist. I didn’t know that was a thing 

16 minutes ago, aparas33 said:

That’s what my Bard email said too.  I took it as a rejection.  I suppose if all extended offers are declined, they will go back into the application pool.   So it’s not a straight up rejection I guess? ??‍♂️

22 minutes ago, niftypainter said:

That’s what my Bard email said too.  I took it as a rejection.  I suppose if all extended offers are declined, they will go back into the application pool.   So it’s not a straight up rejection I guess? ??‍♂️

I think yes. Maybe not tho. I go to SAIC and am speaking to faculty and they say that they reject applications based on the fact that they didn’t like applicants and how they presented themselves. I mean i know not everyone who’s interviewed gets in, it’s just like the second round. Very gaggy 

Hi all, 

I've been anonymously reading this forum throughout the process of applying to MFA painting programs. Thank you for all the input additional information you have supplied throughout this forum. 

Has anyone heard from the following programs? (interviews, acceptances, rejections...)TIA. 

Indiana University

Boston University

Virginia Commonwealth University

Tyler School of Art 

36 minutes ago, JennNoelle said:

Hi all, 

I've been anonymously reading this forum throughout the process of applying to MFA painting programs. Thank you for all the input additional information you have supplied throughout this forum. 

Has anyone heard from the following programs? (interviews, acceptances, rejections...)TIA. 

Indiana University

Boston University

Tyler School of Art 

I'm pretty sure VCU has sent out pretty much all of their painting interviews and acceptances. 

I also seem to have not made the cut. 

But hey, maybe there will be another load of notifications who knows.

1 hour ago, JennNoelle said:

Hi all, 

Indiana University

Boston University

Tyler School of Art 

Boston University (painting) have some interviews this week, but not sure if that is all the interviews they're planning on having. Tyler (painting) have carried out interviews/ acceptances. When I was researching schools I saw Indiana (Bloomington?) had quite a late deadline compared to others, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are still reviewing applications.

Kind of confused by how schools seem to send responses out to some and not others at the same time...

4 minutes ago, nmelnicky said:

When do you guys think we will start hearing from MICA or SAIC on admissions results?

What dept. did you apply to? I think ppl from last year’s forum heard back from SAIC painting around March 1st. Altho so far, a few from SAIC fibers and another dept. have gotten admission notifications. I’m waiting to hear back from SAIC painting too. Not sure about MICA tho. 

Edited by duyens