MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Hi all, I wonder if anyone knows anything about RISD MFA Digital and Media program.

I, so far, have applied to the schools:

Yale, Columbia, WSU, Pratt, SVA, FIT, MICA, SAIC 

I got rejected from Yale and SAIC already, interviewed with MICA via Skype, and am still waiting for the interview from RISD and Columbia.

I wonder if anyone knows if RISD-Digital and Media program and Columbia-Visual Arts program conduct interview as a part of their review.

Does anyone know about these schools that require interview?

Thanks

21 hours ago, Zhuyan said:

Hi everyone! Have you received the result of the MFA photography of SAIC. I am an international student and I have received a email from DHL saying that SAIC has mailed something to me.  But I don't know what is in it. 

I know the student in USA will receive a call for the interview result, so I am wondering if anyone has received the result call. 

Your acceptance letters are probably in that package!! :P 

On 2/18/2019 at 9:50 PM, jess_is_over_it said:

For anyone with an upcoming SMFA interview, or really any interview:

Had my interview with Ethan Murrow from SMFA last Thursday. Questions were about my current work, my current career, reasons for choosing to pursue an MFA, specifically why SMFA, what am I trying to convey through my work, influences and more specific questions were built upon my responses. Very interested in what I hoped or planned on doing with my work, conceptually, professionally and practice-wise. Discussed in depth what I could contribute to SMFA and what made me different from other applicants. He stated that he only had access to my portfolio prior to our Skype interview and was not privy to supporting material (ie. resume, statement, application, transcripts). He did not even have info regarding where I am located or what my undergrad degree is. So I briefed him on all that info. Very causal, equally informative as questioning, went slightly over the allotted 30 mins, he mentioned that my answers to questions also answered questions that were on his list, so I suppose I seemed well prepared. I followed up with thank you emails to both him and Lennon, both of whom responded promptly and positively. He even provided further faculty contacts for me to pursue specific to my skills and interests. 

I interviewed with SMFA on 2/13, and also sent Lennon a thank you email, but did't get his response. I hope that's not a bad news. My interviewer mentioned that this year they are looking for students with double degrees like me, and I thought my interview went well. I wish they could send out their decision letters ASAP because this waiting time is so frustrating.  

On 2/21/2019 at 4:31 AM, Sophie K said:

Did anyone receive acceptance from RISD Digital+Media department? I got informed during the interview that the department will get back in touch on February 20th which is today. and didn't get anything from the department yet.. so I'm getting nervous!

I got a mail of acceptance !

Congratulation for all :)

1 hour ago, sparky7184 said:

Hi all, I wonder if anyone knows anything about RISD MFA Digital and Media program.

I, so far, have applied to the schools:

Yale, Columbia, WSU, Pratt, SVA, FIT, MICA, SAIC 

I got rejected from Yale and SAIC already, interviewed with MICA via Skype, and am still waiting for the interview from RISD and Columbia.

I wonder if anyone knows if RISD-Digital and Media program and Columbia-Visual Arts program conduct interview as a part of their review.

Does anyone know about these schools that require interview?

Thanks

Hi! I believe Columbia already sent out interview invites over the last two weeks. I know sculpture interview happens on March 12, don’t know about other disciplines tho. 

9 hours ago, afein said:

Have you interviewed yet? I spoke with Ellen Lupton this morning, and I feel like I did a terrible job explaining my work.

I interviewed on the morning of the 20th with Jennifer, I think it's a very happy conversation.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:00 PM, Rennnnn said:

Hi, congratulations to your acceptance! Did you fill out FASAP for SAIC?  As an international student, I did not fill that form and got nothing from the school. I am not sure if that is the reason or due to my application only.

Hi there. Thank you! I'm international, though i'm also a permanent resident of the states. I filled out a FAFSA on Sunday, after the interview. I don't think merit scholarships/fellowships are based on the FAFSA, which has to do with loans/need-based aid.

also y'all - someone said this earlier: THIS PROCESS IS DEHUMANIZING.

let's not forget that all universities have essentially become corporations, and that as artists, school is a tiny fraction of our efforts. significant, but still small. our journey, with art and for art, will likely be thread throughout the entirety of our lives. there is a trajectory the work will walk, and it is our honor, and our duty, to protect it and fight for it. everything else is probably an illusion. highfives all around. you rock. 

that being said, i'm stressed as f*** lol. stay warm. 

Hi! I've been accepted to these programs: Kinetic Imaging @ VCU, Time-Based Media @ University of Tennessee-Knoxville and  UNC-Chapel Hill. 

Rejected from these: Social Practice @ University of Minnesota and Art + Ecology @ University of New Mexico

And waiting to hear back from: Arizona State, University of Arizona, University of South Florida and University of Georgia! Has anyone heard from any of these schools? I haven't seen any of them mentioned besides South Florida. 

19 minutes ago, bugaboooo said:

Hi! I've been accepted to these programs: Kinetic Imaging @ VCU, Time-Based Media @ University of Tennessee-Knoxville and  UNC-Chapel Hill. 

Rejected from these: Social Practice @ University of Minnesota and Art + Ecology @ University of New Mexico

And waiting to hear back from: Arizona State, University of Arizona, University of South Florida and University of Georgia! Has anyone heard from any of these schools? I haven't seen any of them mentioned besides South Florida. 

Congrats! I applied to Tennessee and haven’t heard anything, still holding out hope!

Very late last night I received two painting interview request from two different painting faculty at UCLA lol! I'm unsure if the two interview request is a mistake on UCLA part, their admission process is so obscure--who knows! 

54 minutes ago, bugaboooo said:

I also applied to ASU and just sent them an email asking about timeline / if they held interviews; I'll let you know what I get in response!

24 minutes ago, Zander said:

Very late last night I received two painting interview request from two different painting faculty at UCLA lol! I'm unsure if the two interview request is a mistake on UCLA part, their admission process is so obscure--who knows! 

That’s amazing! I’m really curious how you approached your essays - did you end up submitting the optional personal history statement? Did you list faculty you wanted to work with at the program? These were things I was super unsure about through the process.