MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

13 hours ago, jess_is_over_it said:

For anyone with an upcoming SMFA interview, or really any interview:

Had my interview with Ethan Murrow from SMFA last Thursday. Questions were about my current work, my current career, reasons for choosing to pursue an MFA, specifically why SMFA, what am I trying to convey through my work, influences and more specific questions were built upon my responses. Very interested in what I hoped or planned on doing with my work, conceptually, professionally and practice-wise. Discussed in depth what I could contribute to SMFA and what made me different from other applicants. He stated that he only had access to my portfolio prior to our Skype interview and was not privy to supporting material (ie. resume, statement, application, transcripts). He did not even have info regarding where I am located or what my undergrad degree is. So I briefed him on all that info. Very causal, equally informative as questioning, went slightly over the allotted 30 mins, he mentioned that my answers to questions also answered questions that were on his list, so I suppose I seemed well prepared. I followed up with thank you emails to both him and Lennon, both of whom responded promptly and positively. He even provided further faculty contacts for me to pursue specific to my skills and interests. 

OMG!!!! You were interviewing with Ethan Murrow???!!! He is like my idol, I just absolutely love his artwork. I wish I could work with him. I have no way to pay for SMFA costs so I did not apply. I really hope that you get to go to the program you are aiming for! Congrats on the interview!

2 hours ago, AngryHarold said:

I accepted Pratt's offer and deposited before hearing back from RISD, because I was also concerned about losing my spot. I ended up having to tell Pratt that I was declining their offer, and while I felt terrible about it, they were pretty understanding. As someone said before, the lack of a universal deadline for deposits/confirmations really puts people in an awkward position. In the end it's about what works best for you though. 

this is exactly what happened to me in undergrad too. it's really frustrating and heartbreaking! i know, for undergrad at least, the schools do sometimes communicate with each other about applicants so like, you would hope they could all stamp out a single offer date and single deadline so it would be less stressful....but. alas. what can you do. ? 

14 hours ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Applied to MICA Mount Royal and Hoffberger, have yet to hear anything. Did reach out to Mary Baum last week to inquire, we had been in close contact since November and I felt it would be acceptable to reach out. Her response was short but cordial, says they are “still in the review process”...which “continues all month”. 

I have interviews with Mount Royal and Hoffberger next week. I got emails a week or two ago and had to schedule them from a selection of time slots over the course of a couple weeks, so it's not like there's an interview day. The invites also came a few days apart.  Basically, I don't think you can conclude your status with certainty, but some invites have gone out. 

56 minutes ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

OMG!!!! You were interviewing with Ethan Murrow???!!! He is like my idol, I just absolutely love his artwork. I wish I could work with him. I have no way to pay for SMFA costs so I did not apply. I really hope that you get to go to the program you are aiming for! Congrats on the interview!

Yeah, I was pretty nervous because he is truly amazing! I have been looking at SMFA for quite a while so, if accepted, I have a few plans to figure out costs. But it would be difficult financially. Really trying to stay optimistic because I do think our interview went well. Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I am currently still working for my BFA in Photography @ Herron School of Art. I'll be graduating in May but I am honestly really eager to keep working so I am trying to not take any time off despite lots of advice not to. I really think I can do it! (I want to!) 

I've applied to 

- Columbia College Chicago

- Ohio State University

- SVA

- University of Kentucky

- University of Missouri/Mizzou

- CalArts

- Louisiana State University

- University of Southern Florida

Columbia is my top pick and I have an interview with them soon. I also have a tentative interview with Mizzou. Any advice? I am kind of not very self aware and don't have a lot of confidence most of the time. I love feedback and I love help. 

My website is savannah-calhoun.com 

Over the moon to be offered a place at Tyler painting, it seemed such a long shot! Are any others for Tyler on here? 

Email said the dean has a fund for incoming MFA students to visit regardless of distance, but I may be taking the biscuit being from Ireland ???

46 minutes ago, savcal said:

Hey everyone!

I am currently still working for my BFA in Photography @ Herron School of Art. I'll be graduating in May but I am honestly really eager to keep working so I am trying to not take any time off despite lots of advice not to. I really think I can do it! (I want to!) 

I've applied to 

- Columbia College Chicago

- Ohio State University

- SVA

- University of Kentucky

- University of Missouri/Mizzou

- CalArts

- Louisiana State University

- University of Southern Florida

Columbia is my top pick and I have an interview with them soon. I also have a tentative interview with Mizzou. Any advice? I am kind of not very self aware and don't have a lot of confidence most of the time. I love feedback and I love help. 

My website is savannah-calhoun.com 

My Columbia interview is tomorrow morning, I'll tell you how it goes. 

Just got an accepted into the Maine College of Art (MECA) MFA in Studio Arts full residency program via a very delightful phone call. 

They said I should hear about funding this week. 

Surprised I got accepted into this one to be honest, but I'm grateful to have some options! 

Still got MassArt and Columbia College interviews this week, so we'll see how that goes. 

6 minutes ago, savcal said:

Well, had my interview with Columbia this afternoon. It only lasted 10 minutes but they ask the pretty basic questions. I'm so nervous!

Was it Columbia College Chicago?

If so, what did they ask and what department were you applying for?

Hi,

I have been following this for a hot sec, thought I would share:

Was accepted to UW Madison last week, but just got the letter that I didn't receive any funding (does anybody know anything about etiquette re: leveraging other offers? I have a solid fully-funded offer from another school, but UW is my top choice & there is 0 chance I will accept their offer if I can't afford it). Have a Cranbrook interview on March 15th that I am very excited about, and a CCA interview tomorrow. Waiting to hear back from 4 other programs.

TY and Good Luck!

:') 

Edited by yeet

7 minutes ago, yeet said:

Hi,

I have been following this for a hot sec, thought I would share:

Was accepted to UW Madison last week, but just got the letter that I didn't receive any funding (does anybody know anything about etiquette re: leveraging other offers? I have a solid fully-funded offer from another school, but UW is my top choice & there is 0 chance I will accept their offer if I can't afford it). Have a Cranbrook interview on March 15th that I am very excited about, and a CCA interview tomorrow. Waiting to hear back from 4 other programs.

TY and Good Luck!

:') 

I would suggest letting UWM know that you have received a commendable funding package from another institution, in hopes they'll barter with you about funding. 

Hi everyone.

Interviewed at SAIC for Fiber on Saturday, and Diana called me today. I missed her call so she emailed me with fellowship and acceptance into the MFA program. I havent heard anything from VCU Fiber or Univ of Iowa Dimensional Studies.  

This is a roller coaster so stay warm and take care. 

44 minutes ago, honghong said:

Hi everyone.

Interviewed at SAIC for Fiber on Saturday, and Diana called me today. I missed her call so she emailed me with fellowship and acceptance into the MFA program. I havent heard anything from VCU Fiber or Univ of Iowa Dimensional Studies.  

This is a roller coaster so stay warm and take care. 

Hi, congratulations to your acceptance! Did you fill out FASAP for SAIC?  As an international student, I did not fill that form and got nothing from the school. I am not sure if that is the reason or due to my application only.

21 minutes ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

How did you find out? email? website? Did you interview? I am assuming you applied for painting. 

I interviewed two weeks ago and the head of the department emailed me tonight. Yeah, it was for painting. Seems like all the departments are interviewing at different times. Did anyone here get accepted to the painting/printmaking department?

Just got my official acceptance letter from UW-Madison in the mail today. I was a little surprised/disappointed to read that they aren't able to offer funding for the first year (I was really hoping for a GA position too). Did anyone else get this? I'm wondering if this is standard for all incoming grads, or if I just didn't make the cut. ?

Edit: Oops, just saw @yeet 's post from earlier (congrats on getting in, by the way!). Perhaps this is department-wide, then? I'm also curious about how to go about negotiating funding. I've been offered full funding to my other top choice, but I don't want to give up on Madison just yet! 

Edited by mariet

a bit of an update/summary for anyone who may be looking for one about these schools:

1. i interviewed with emily carr last week, they said they should be making their decisions in about 1-2 weeks. so...soon! ah! i haven't seen anyone mention this school---in my research of funding options, although i doubt to get scholarships bc i'd be international, canadian schools are often half the price, sometimes before exchange rates. so i'm surprised no one mentioned applying to any schools in canada! 
  2. pnca was also last week and they didn't give an exact estimate, but implied it would be within a few weeks. possibly any day now, possibly much later. i saw pnca mentioned in a few different places on this forum. 
  3. cca said they usually send out information mid-march. (interviewed with them yesterday!) anyone else applying there? 
  4. pratt is next, i'll report if they give an approximation. based on my undergrad experience/what i saw mentioned about last year's season, it should be also about mid march.
  5. ucla i've heard nothing from, but apparently don't always do interviews? and are also a mid-late march deadline school. 
  6. risd is also slower; i saw someone wasn't accepted until april. in my experience with them in undergrad, they were also the last school to get back to me. 
  7. the last school i applied extended their deadline until a few days ago, so i don't really know what to expect at all, or if they do interviews. it may seem to not be as mandatory in the cal state system, like ucla? 

i'm starting to get a bit nervous in not having much more definitive information yet. but that's the waiting game! anyone else apply to some of these schools and hear something different or know anything?

Edited by beep beep

Hi all very new here but have been scouring the internet for info in my time of paranoia lol

So far I’ve applied to 

- Parsons 

- Syracuse 

-Tyler 

- Alfred 

- Hunter 

I’ve had an interview with Tyler and Parsons, been rejected by hunter and haven’t heard from the rest. Any word on these schools or when I’ll hear back from parsons?? Dying to know.

17 hours ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Yeah, I was pretty nervous because he is truly amazing! I have been looking at SMFA for quite a while so, if accepted, I have a few plans to figure out costs. But it would be difficult financially. Really trying to stay optimistic because I do think our interview went well. Thanks!

I looked at your website and work. If you somehow do not get into an MFA program, then I will have lost all faith in this system because your work is incredible! Best of luck!

1 hour ago, SerpentSkort said:

Hi all very new here but have been scouring the internet for info in my time of paranoia lol

So far I’ve applied to 

- Parsons 

- Syracuse 

-Tyler 

- Alfred 

- Hunter 

I’ve had an interview with Tyler and Parsons, been rejected by hunter and haven’t heard from the rest. Any word on these schools or when I’ll hear back from parsons?? Dying to know.

Syracuse Studio Art and Department of Trans Media are different programs, with different selection committees. I have spoken with the Studio Art director and know that they are usually a mid-March response, but that this year they are trying to fast track the process, and get notifications to people by the end of February. They are currently reviewing applications. I can't speak to what's happening in the Trans Media department. 

I went to visit the school last week and talk with everyone. The art program seems very interesting, and is spread across a few buildings on campus with ample facilities. It's a three-year program, and during that time you get to teach your own classes at the school (paid positions), not TA. This is a real advantage over other programs, imo. 

Edited by warp

1 hour ago, SerpentSkort said:

Also applied to their Art Video program and am waiting to hear anything ?

Sorry, I missed this post. I think that is in the Trans Media Department, which I don't have any inside information about. :(