MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

24 minutes ago, katkat said:

Hi! I have my interview today with VCU fibers department. Does anyone know potential questions they may ask? Thanks!

There's a pretty large list of example questions from previous interviews on page 32 of this forum. Good luck!

On 2/16/2019 at 4:11 AM, Lemon2Lemonade said:

kvers, no need to apologize at all! I lived in the UK recently as part of my US undergrad and the possibility of RCA faculty lurking this forum is zero. And do you know how many people apply to RCA? RCA, Goldsmiths, Ruskin have an incredible amount of applicants so no need to worry about lack of anonymity here. Please don't apologize for expressing opinions and feelings, that is what this forum is all about. If other people interviewed at RCA, and I personally know of two who did, they would feel much better for you having shared your experience. Nowadays, the idea of not being able to say anything because everyone will jump on you, is ludicrous. We are hopeful applicants, we need freedom to express ourselves. We need support and to support others. We need encouragement and the ability to trust that others will share useful information with us, because we will do the same for them. That is called solidarity, that is called common courtesy. I have encouraged people to share their results, concerns and questions in this forum without fears, including just anonymously in the Results page, and we all had started to do that. And we all have done that in a thoughtful way. Kuddos to us! No need to start a war because I express my opinion

I was accepted to RCA Painting program several days ago. The interview was really wonderful and the faculty seemed intelligent and kind (I am sorry about the sculpture ones ?). Now I am rushing around trying to figure out how the heck to pay for my dream program. Have you found any good funding for US studying in UK? Besides the Marshall because I graduated from undergrad outside of their cutoff. I don't think going into major debt for an art degree is the smartest thing....but man I am tempted. 

1 hour ago, ACarney said:

I was accepted to RCA Painting program several days ago. The interview was really wonderful and the faculty seemed intelligent and kind (I am sorry about the sculpture ones ?). Now I am rushing around trying to figure out how the heck to pay for my dream program. Have you found any good funding for US studying in UK? Besides the Marshall because I graduated from undergrad outside of their cutoff. I don't think going into major debt for an art degree is the smartest thing....but man I am tempted. 

Congrats on your acceptance to the RCA painting program! Sorry I cannot offer information about scholarships for US students. Both of my friends that applied there are UK students.

3 hours ago, yessssssss said:

Just chiming in to see if anyone has heard from UCLA painting yet ?

still nothing. it's one of two schools i've still heard nothing from whatsoever (excluding the one with the deadline like two days ago lol) 

Edited by beep beep

Hey guys, 

What are your thoughts on the Columbia MFA scandal last year?

I was invited for an interview with the Painting department in NYC (which I consider a rare honor), however the fact that they haven't acknowledged the big scandal last year is concerning. 

This is the article if you haven't read it:https://hyperallergic.com/440469/columbia-university-mfa-students-demand-tuition-refunds/

I reached out to UCLA since they didn't give a timeline for replies. 

They said, "Thanks for your message, the department expects to send out notification to all applicants in mid-March. The department does not have a formal interview process for finalist applicants – in the event that they would like to hold an interview, faculty will contact applicants directly via email or phone over the course of the next few weeks. Interviews are typically conducted by phone or Skype." 

Not sure if this still means you have to get an interview to get accepted? It's a little unclear. 

2 minutes ago, another__artist said:

They said, "Thanks for your message, the department expects to send out notification to all applicants in mid-March. The department does not have a formal interview process for finalist applicants – in the event that they would like to hold an interview, faculty will contact applicants directly via email or phone over the course of the next few weeks. Interviews are typically conducted by phone or Skype." 

Not sure if this still means you have to get an interview to get accepted? It's a little unclear. 

Yea it seems like the past couple years some people were just accepted by phone or email, others had a phone interview or chit chat phone call. So mysterious! Thanks for emailing though!

12 minutes ago, another__artist said:

maybe the interview relates to those who they want to sus out for scholarship opportunities? i don't know. interesting. thanks for sharing the info!!! this is reassuring to finally have some kind of timeline, lol 

I emailed my interviewers at SAIC as a thank you and one of them included this sentence in their email! "I've put in my recommendations for the department, and I hope you hear back soon!" 

Im sincerely hoping that means he recommended me for the program! omg! Surely he wouldn't say that if I wasn't accepted right?

Lol I am nervous wreck!

Edited by acs000

24 minutes ago, acs000 said:

I emailed my interviewers at SAIC as a thank you and one of them included this sentence in their email! "I've put in my recommendations for the department, and I hope you hear back soon!" 

Im sincerely hoping that means he recommended me for the program! omg! Surely he wouldn't say that if I wasn't accepted right?

Lol I am nervous wreck!

OMG!!!! I would be very excited! It sounds super promising!

2 hours ago, 32girl said:

Hey guys, 

What are your thoughts on the Columbia MFA scandal last year?

I was invited for an interview with the Painting department in NYC (which I consider a rare honor), however the fact that they haven't acknowledged the big scandal last year is concerning. 

This is the article if you haven't read it:https://hyperallergic.com/440469/columbia-university-mfa-students-demand-tuition-refunds/

It certainly does not bode well for Columbia, especially considering their tuition cost. 

Edited by EastCoastPhoto

To answer PMs I gathered this info on funding for US students who want to study in the UK. CLICK EACH TITLE FOR THE LINK and feel free to add more info. 

Rhodes Scholarship: This scholarship is only to study at the University of Oxford. No other UK Institutions are funded. Their upcoming deadline is October 2019 to study during the 2020-2021 academic year. Historically, no Ruskin School of Art student has ever been a Rhodes Scholar. Preference is given to politics, economics, sciences, etc.  Average GPA 3.83  Age restriction 18-24.

Gates Scholarship: Their upcoming deadline is Fall 2019 in order to study at the University of Cambridge during the 2020-2021 academic year. No other UK Institutions are funded. Unfortunately, Cambridge University does not have an MFA program. 

Marshall Scholarship: Study at any accredited UK Institution for up to 2 years. Previous Marshall Scholars included MFA Creative Writing and MFA Theater, so artistic MFA applicants are welcome. Average GPA 3.7  Restriction: student must have graduated on 2017 or after. Their upcoming deadline is yet to be announced, but it is during October 2019 to study during the 2020-2021 academic year anywhere in the United Kingdom.

Mitchell Scholarship: Study any graduate field in Ireland and Northern Ireland at Institutions that are listed on their website. Ages 18-30. The new application for 2020-2021 will launch in March 2019 for the 2020-2021 academic year.

FYI: Each UK Institution has its own scholarships, mostly for UK and EU students but a couple for International students. Check the general website of your intended Institution.

Hope this helps!

9 minutes ago, smorenothing said:

Rejected by Yale and Northwestern thus far. Awaiting to hear back from UCLA and OSU. Just had a Skype interview with UConn. Has anyone else here interviewed with UConn? Already regretting applying to the school.

Why are you regretting applying?

3 hours ago, Portola said:

Can anyone advise me about the Low Residency MFA in art at Saic or MICA or other ?

thank you 

Low-Residency programs are relatively a new concept. Students worry about several points with this option:

1. Recognition of your degree: Somehow they might be seen as less prestigious than full-residency programs that include teaching assistantship positions. This however, is a matter of personal preference. A good idea is to talk with your academic advisor seeking professional feedback. Also make sure that they are accredited programs (e.g. NASAD accredited, click on the NASAD title for your Institutions credentials and accreditations)

2. Time invested in a low-residency program is longer than in a full-residency program. They usually last 2 academic years and 3 summers, though some programs last longer. They could be up to 3 academic years and 5 summers. Each campus stay could be between 4 weeks and 8 weeks or longer.

3. The idea that you have all year to do your studio work and only meet for a few days in the summer is a myth. You spend all year round working with on-line courses which are usually Contemporary Theory, Art History, Art Criticism and these are hard work since they involve papers, readings, sometimes midterms and finals. You do these on top of your studio work that is required.

4. Depending on which Institution is offering the Low-Residency MFA, the studio work is done during the academic year with a "Mentor" that could be

• (a) of your own choosing in your geographic location. He/She must be approved by your MFA Institution meaning they are usually required to have an MFA degree and some experience teaching, and it could be really hard to find a full-time artist that has those requirements in place
  • (b) chosen from a list that your Institution has on file for your geographic location.
  • (c) virtual tutoring by the faculty at your chosen MFA Institution. Meaning the Chair or other faculty meet with you virtually and have some set requirements for you to follow. 

5. Cost: They are much more expensive than a full-residency option! This was a total surprise for me. They seldom offer financial assistance, so tuition/fees/others are on you. To that you must add cost of lodging/food/transportation expenses for each time you are required to visit and stay at the Institution. Actually some do not even offer housing (e.g. Lesley U. in Boston which could be daunting to find temporary accommodation). Most places have set dates. For instance January (4 weeks), summer (8 weeks) and these could be done up to 8 times during the whole program. Some programs start the summer before and end the summer after. How are you going to transport your art back and forth? Are you a sculpture artist? Will your ceramics survive? Do you have large paintings? How about installing/uninstalling installation art?

Here are some programs, but there are many more, so feel free to add to this list:

Lesley U in Boston (provides a set list of Mentors)

Vermont College of Fine Arts (has recently changed professors amongst its faculty)

SAIC (very new)

Bard College (the most expensive of them all)

PAFA (virtual Mentoring accepted only with their own faculty)

Wilson College in PA (NOT NASAD ACCREDITED)

MassArt-Boston

MECA Maine College of Art 

Low-residency MFAs are said to be for "the working artist who cannot relocate", however some things to ponder are: how you can pay this without having a full time job at the same time? And will you have time to devote to all that is required every semester/summer non-stop for 3+ years? 

It is just a matter of preference, really. Please do your research. To me it was just a matter of not finding a full-funded low-residency MFA, but for others it might be the perfect solution. Hope this info helps!

4 hours ago, Portola said:

Can anyone advise me about the Low Residency MFA in art at Saic or MICA or other ?

thank you 

I would personally recommend MECA for a legitimate low res program. 

On 2/15/2019 at 4:01 PM, yueeeee said:

Hello!

I've finished two interviews and I am an international student as well, so my experience may of some help, I suppose:D The first one seemed like a language test since they didn't ask too many discipline-related questions. I was nervous, though... It went smoothly because the faculty was very considerate and patient. The second one was tense! A lot of professional questions related to my work and inspirations. I tried my best to say everything that came up to me, while there are some points that I don't think I've made them clear. What I think is we need to relax. Show them everything we've got and it'll be fine ? Good luck!

Hello Yue! Thank you very much for your invaluable insight! 

It's good to hear that your interviews went well. I think my interview with VCU could've been better. I really love the program and think it's one of the best programs, but I didn't expect that I will be asked about political thoughts on North Korea! The answer I gave could've been better if I had better language skills haha. When I panic I can't structure sentences. I realized that I should really work on my English till the next interviews. 

Thank you again and I hope you get the result you wanted! ?