MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

has anyone else been to an interview that asks for you to show some samples of your work? If so, did you bring anything from your portfolio submission or all different work?

17 minutes ago, Ais said:

has anyone else been to an interview that asks for you to show some samples of your work? If so, did you bring anything from your portfolio submission or all different work?

Hey, I had my interview with UIC yesterday. They asked me a project where I went completely off my comfort zone and to explain that work. Other than that, they asked me to explain another work of mine that shows them who I'm and want to be as an artist. I explained while my project was open via screenshare on Skype. Also, both of these projects were included in my Slideroom portfolio. 

My UIC interview went fine, I think. Was interviewed with the program director (we had been in touch via mail) and two of the professors of the department. They took interest in my work and told me I have a lot of potential. They also have recommended me to think about the prelim program they have and honestly, I think they're right since I have a different undergraduate degree (Architecture) and my online course/internship experience probably isn't equivalent to a complete BFA program. I'm thinking about it but at the same time, I'm worried about the extra cost as I'm an international applicant. Let's see what the final offer has for me. 

They said I'd be hearing a final word in about 2 weeks time. Good luck to all if you guys had an interview with UIC, yet!

Edited by Pallavi.Daga

I had my interview with USC last week. There are 3 committee members presented but it was much more like a relaxing conversation than a formal interview. The signal was really really really bad though... I literally had my face sticked on my keyboard to hear what they asked. 

1 hour ago, arely said:

photo/moving image areas 

ughhhh- i just received an email from the head of photo department saying " Please note that these deliberations do take time… thank you for your patience!"

I guess this means i'm waitlisted ??

Based only on that, it just means they haven’t decided on anything. 

8 minutes ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Hey, I had my interview with UIC yesterday. They asked me a project where I went completely off my comfort zone and to explain that work. Other than that, they asked me to explain another work of mine that shows them who I'm and want to be as an artist. I explained while my project was open via screenshare on Skype. Also, both of these projects were included in my Slideroom portfolio. 

My UIC interview went fine, I think. Was interviewed with the program director (we had been in touch via mail) and two of the professors of the department. They took interest in my work and told me I have a lot of potential. They also have recommended me to think about the prelim program they have and honestly, I think they're right since I have a different undergraduate degree (Architecture) and my online course/internship experience probably isn't equivalent to a complete BFA program. I'm thinking about it but at the same time, I'm worried about the extra cost as I'm an international applicant. Let's see what the final offer has for me. 

They said I'd be hearing a final word in 1.5-2 weeks time. Good luck to all if you guys had an interview with UIC, yet!

thanks for the feedback! 

All the best with hearing back, sounds like they do really like you as a candidate, hopefully they might even give you a good funding offer for their prelim!

47 minutes ago, Arissss said:

I had my interview with USC last week. There are 3 committee members presented but it was much more like a relaxing conversation than a formal interview. The signal was really really really bad though... I literally had my face sticked on my keyboard to hear what they asked. 

Congrats! To which department did you apply? 

Edited by sorry

1 hour ago, Tomorrowwillbebetter said:

If you don't mind me asking, how much does SAIC's dean scholarship compensate towards the tuition?

My understanding is it is 35% off tuition renewable each semester in good standing. 

1 hour ago, Ais said:

I have an interview this coming weekend, and in the email I was sent about the time of my interview it was also requested that candidates for Photography and Sculpture (but not other disciplines) bring small samples of recent work created since our portfolios were submitted. I'm interviewing in Photography, so I plan on bringing 12-15 prints of new work I've made since submitting the application, and Sculpture candidates were requested to bring a material fragment from a larger piece, or documentation of recent work. 

58 minutes ago, calmly waiting said:

Have any photo people hear from RISD or UIC?

Since some interviews have already taken place at UIC (outside of photo, but it seems like a program where disciplines are interwoven), I was thinking of contacting the department?

I got an acceptance (with funding) from UIC awhile back. They called me, no interview. 

59 minutes ago, calmly waiting said:

Have any photo people hear from RISD or UIC?

Since some interviews have already taken place at UIC (outside of photo, but it seems like a program where disciplines are interwoven), I was thinking of contacting the department?

Photo person here, and still waiting to hear back from RISD; crossing my fingers for both of us!

Just received notice from University of Chicago through an email letting me know to check the admission portal. Didn't get in. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!! 

12 hours ago, Aatt said:

I applied to SCAD too, got accepted, but I never interviewed. They also didn’t really give me a date I had to accept by. I asked and they said roughly 60-90 days. Each department might be different though, some might have interviews and others might not. 

Congrats!!

I'm graphic design too, going to attend the interview next week.

was accepted to pnca today! i was reading through the last board and saw some people mention there's a way to ask for more funding...obviously i'm gonna wait to see what some of my other options are in terms of scholarships but they're offering basically a third and it's still pretty expensive. ? has anyone done this yet? have any experience with it? would love love some advice on this. 

19 hours ago, yueeeee said:

I applied for SCAD too. Have you received their interview invitation? I really don't like the school since they require applicants in our country to attend an interview (in person), and have to pay the enrollment fee in three days which is 500 dollars. Otherwise the spot is gone. It is my last choice as well, so I have to attend the interview anyway... 

SCAD didn't ask me to pay enrollment fee in three days. However they said if I didn't pay it I may lose my spot. Consider my SCAD interview was super earlier than other schools ( 16th Feb interviewed and got the offer) , I had to pay for it after one week I got the offer.

Now I am still waiting any feedback from SAIC.

I applied British schools :UAL and RCA , I just got the offer by the director of RCA. not a official offer, just he told me that he confirmed I can get it.

I think I will go to RCA if I can't get the offer by SAIC.

Hello someone please help me. So, I've applied to FIT MFA Illustration for this Fall 2019 as a priority and full fellowship candidate.

Okay I know that I made a stupid mistake for not paying attention to "must send them an official transcript" but other than that, I completed everything.

I just received email (I emailed them first asking about my status) and the office said that I never sent them the transcript. But why did they never notify me earlier?

I know that I still will be considered as a general admission but, will my mistake ever hurt my status of application? Or does anyone know if there's any way I can change this stupid mistake? I mean, I finished everything by the right time as a prior candidate except this one stupid mistake. Does anyone know anything? Any tip?

2 hours ago, yueeeee said:

Congrats!!

I'm graphic design too, going to attend the interview next week.

Yay! Good luck! Savannah is a pretty cool little city.  

24 minutes ago, sparky7184 said:

Hello someone please help me. So, I've applied to FIT MFA Illustration for this Fall 2019 as a priority and full fellowship candidate.

Okay I know that I made a stupid mistake for not paying attention to "must send them an official transcript" but other than that, I completed everything.

I just received email (I emailed them first asking about my status) and the office said that I never sent them the transcript. But why did they never notify me earlier?

I know that I still will be considered as a general admission but, will my mistake ever hurt my status of application? Or does anyone know if there's any way I can change this stupid mistake? I mean, I finished everything by the right time as a prior candidate except this one stupid mistake. Does anyone know anything? Any tip?

sending your transcript to the office as soon as possible and sending them a email to let them know. I guess your application is processed, you still have chance for a priority candidate.

btw, are you a international student? FIT need some organizations to make an authentication about your transcript and graduation certificate if your school doesn't in America.

Edited by DDDcat