MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

40 minutes ago, DDDcat said:

sending your transcript to the office as soon as possible and sending them a email to let them know. I guess your application is processed, you still have chance for a priority candidate.

btw, are you a international student? FIT need some organizations to make an authentication about your transcript and graduation certificate if your school doesn't in America.

Thanks!! I did send them ASAP tonight as soon as I got the email. I hope I still have a chance. I am not a international student. I'm a domestic. Thanks a lot for the reply!!

7 hours ago, Ais said:

thanks for the feedback! 

All the best with hearing back, sounds like they do really like you as a candidate, hopefully they might even give you a good funding offer for their prelim!

Hey, Thanks! I really appreciate this and hope the same.

Hope you get into your choice of school too :)

Also, does anyone know anything about WSU?? I actually received a financial aid award (although they were the loan offers) from WSU a few weeks ago. I guess they are still reviewing the candidates as I see from what it shows "under review" from my profile. Does this indicate anything? Something positive? or is it just a meaningless financial award letter? BTW, I applied to MFA Arts program.

On 2/25/2019 at 7:05 PM, maddog72 said:

sunflowerlemon, I'm a painter and I participated in SSP 2017. It was great in many ways but very clique-y in others. The visiting artists were great, so you get a lot of exposure to new thoughts and ideas constantly. While living in Richmond over the summer is hot, rent isn't too expensive--I found a sublet on CL for $500/month. If money is a question, do note that there seemed to be an expectation to hang out/go out/eat out with visiting artists and that added up very quickly. The sculpture studios are decently sized open spaces, and the "painting studios" are just empty classrooms that you would share with 1-3 others. A lot of people did not get along with the artists running the program. However, some of the regular sculpture faculty at VCU were incredibly great to work with, even as a painter. The program is what you make it, and VCU is known for a strong sculpture department. I would say to go for it if you have the funds available (count on at least $7000, probably more) and encourage non-cliquey-ness in your own way to create a better experience for the group and yourself. The group I joined was pretty young, very spirited, but people in our groups were from all walks and making art on all different levels. Some folks who go to VCU's SSP do get in to VCU's MFA program later, and I think the connections are nice if you are willing to maintain them. The biggest value is in the network, so if you plan on maintaining that, then it isn't a bad idea.

Thanks so much for these details (esp about your experience with the social dynamics + the spending expectations!) The idea of having two months of MFA-prep and art community, even if potentially cliquey, is tempting. But I think where I am at right now, it is better for me to work on my local network work (which tbh I haven't put enough effort into) and save the money. But I'll keep it in my mind, haven't gotten into any schools yet so ~

49 minutes ago, sparky7184 said:

Also, does anyone know anything about WSU?? I actually received a financial aid award (although they were the loan offers) from WSU a few weeks ago. I guess they are still reviewing the candidates as I see from what it shows "under review" from my profile. Does this indicate anything? Something positive? or is it just a meaningless financial award letter? BTW, I applied to MFA Arts program.

Same thing happened to me, so I sent them an email to clarify. They're reviewing applications this month and will notify us in March. The financial aid offer is just the financial aid office acting independently, and doesn't mean anything about admissions. It's kinda weird, and got my hopes up when I first saw it!

On 2/26/2019 at 6:44 AM, afein said:

2 year could be different, but I received my invitation to interview for GD 3 year on 2/12. Interviews seem to be occurring the weekends of 2/22, 3/2, or 3/8.

I received their interview from 3yr GD, if you don't mind to share, what question did they ask?

8 hours ago, sparky7184 said:

Hello someone please help me. So, I've applied to FIT MFA Illustration for this Fall 2019 as a priority and full fellowship candidate.

Okay I know that I made a stupid mistake for not paying attention to "must send them an official transcript" but other than that, I completed everything.

I just received email (I emailed them first asking about my status) and the office said that I never sent them the transcript. But why did they never notify me earlier?

I know that I still will be considered as a general admission but, will my mistake ever hurt my status of application? Or does anyone know if there's any way I can change this stupid mistake? I mean, I finished everything by the right time as a prior candidate except this one stupid mistake. Does anyone know anything? Any tip?

Just order and send the transcript in today. To clarify, official transcripts are always (in my experience) ordered directly from the school you graduated from and sent directly in a sealed envelope to the applied school. 

10 hours ago, fiowwn said:

I received their interview from 3yr GD, if you don't mind to share, what question did they ask?

My interview with RISD is on Saturday, March 2, so I am happy to update on Sunday.

That said, I've had three interviews so far. In every interview, I've received the same core questions: Why do you want to get out of grad school; Why do you want to go to this grad school; Tell me about this project? Those question take up 50–75% of the interview.

The other questions have been individual. For example, I studied philosophy in undergrad, and so MICA asked, How do you incorporate philosophy into design? For the same reason, SVA asked, How did you learn design? In another example, RCA asked, Are you familiar with these artists that produce work similar to yours (I didn't, btw)? Having gone through three interviews, my best advice is know your own work and be confident in your own viewpoint. After all, that's why you got the interview.

8 hours ago, EastCoastPhoto said:

Just order and send the transcript in today. To clarify, official transcripts are always (in my experience) ordered directly from the school you graduated from and sent directly in a sealed envelope to the applied school. 

Thanks. I ordered the official e-transcript and sent it to the school. Sadly I missed my prior consideration but, they'll still consider me as a regular admission applicant. We'll see...

was accepted into my ideal first choice today (location mostly! don't really want to move lmao) but there was no mention of funding in the email. a good moment and a sad one as well...this process is so up and down. cheers to everyone still waiting for more info! 

Edited by beep beep

25 minutes ago, beep beep said:

was accepted into my ideal first choice today (location mostly! don't really want to move lmao) but there was no mention of funding in the email. a good moment and a sad one as well...this process is so up and down. cheers to everyone still waiting for more info! 

My funding package took about three weeks to get to me after I was accepted - you might ask what funding is available. They know that this is a question you will ask and negotiate on. 

Has anyone here been asked to interview with U Michigan? I havent heard anything from them and i just re read an email that stated that interview invites would be out mid Feb and rejections would be out late Feb early March. Really wanting to know if theyre behind because of the weather of whatever or if I should be expecting a rejection. 

On 2/26/2019 at 12:19 PM, Kellie Gillespie said:

I received the same email for sculpture. I thought it was a rejection but my mom (works at UCLA) says it’s a waitlist. But I’m starting to think if we all got the same email it might be their way of sending rejections but still having people on standby while they make final decisions ? 

I have been on the Bard waitlist in the past and this isn't it.  I think they are covering themselves for a scenario where they interview a group, make offers and they don't get enough accepted offers for the incoming class.  So while they may call you in the future if this happens, I wouldn't consider it very likely.  When I was waitlisted, they never actually notified me to tell me the wait list had ever closed.  I think since it's a small program, they like to keep their options open.

1 hour ago, prodmod said:

My funding package took about three weeks to get to me after I was accepted - you might ask what funding is available. They know that this is a question you will ask and negotiate on. 

thank you!!! this is actually quite reassuring to hear. do you recommend waiting a bit to see what funding options come through, or asking sooner? was it also from cca, or another school? thanks again. 

also---i haven't seen anyone else mention emily carr here, but i did get an email from them today that they are having a delay in admission results due to "unforeseen circumstances" so...just an update if anyone was looking for it. 

Edited by beep beep

24 minutes ago, GummyPegasus said:

I haven't heard a peep from Boston University, MassArt, or RISD. No interview or rejection or anything. I'm starting to lose hope, at least for the first two since their deadlines were the beginning of January and other people have heard back 

Me too. Mass art & RISD. Silence. Following with you. Ps my daughter did the art of my portrait :) lol.