MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

1 hour ago, Brittany0Kay said:

Congratulations!! Did they interview you? And did you receive notification via email? I'm still waiting to hear, so I'm guessing it's not so good news for me, this time around ?

Thank you :) They didn't interview me. I was contacted via email. 

6 hours ago, krvers said:

Got accepted by RCA Painting!!!! I also received an interview request from Goldsmiths Fine Art this morning!!!! Exciting!!!!

Me too on both accounts! Are you from the US or UK? I really love RCA but am struggling so much with how I will find the funding as an international student. It would have to mean a significant amount of loans. Anyway, it is nice to be able to connect with someone in a similar spot as me! It is all very overwhelming but exciting at the same time. 

10 hours ago, calmly waiting said:

Hey, I'm sort of in a similar situation--I got sustained hits on my site from programs but did not receive invites. I feel like I was probably skipped over. I want to contact them and get an update; I'm just not 100% clear on who to contact.

Did you just email the graduate director?

thx!!

I emailed whatever emails I had from the schools before who I assume to be whoever is in charge of graduate communications. I haven’t heard from U Oregon or Tulane at all from the emails I sent. Though I’m accepting that this year may not be happening. 

1 minute ago, justaylor said:

I emailed whatever emails I had from the schools before who I assume to be whoever is in charge of graduate communications. I haven’t heard from U Oregon or Tulane at all from the emails I sent. Though I’m accepting that this year may not be happening. 

If you hear anything back from UO let us know!

3 hours ago, ACarney said:

Me too on both accounts! Are you from the US or UK? I really love RCA but am struggling so much with how I will find the funding as an international student. It would have to mean a significant amount of loans. Anyway, it is nice to be able to connect with someone in a similar spot as me! It is all very overwhelming but exciting at the same time. 

Hi! I'm also an international student, but thankfully my parents will support me financially. Living in London might be expensive, but you will get lots of public exposures at the same time. Still, being an artist itself is risky, and hopefully, we can stand out someday.  

On 3/4/2019 at 9:31 AM, jess_is_over_it said:

I got an acceptance letter from SMFA!!!!! And a $15,000 a year scholarship!!!!! If there was an emoji for fainting and then laying on the ground giggling with glee that would be me haha. SOOOOO much RELIEF!!! Hopefully this is just the first acceptance and I’ll have some options but if not, I’m BEYOND HAPPY and I am DETERMINED to figure out funding this! 

I got an offer from them as well! Congrats!  Have you decided whether you want to take their offer? I  also interviewed Boston university and I really can't make my decisio.

16 minutes ago, Arissss said:

Their interview were sent out last month. I knew it because they told me I was the last person they interviewed. But I'm not sure if the program you've applied requires interviews or not. I applied sculpture.

Which school is this?

6 hours ago, ACarney said:

13 hours ago, krvers said:

Got accepted by RCA Painting!!!! I also received an interview request from Goldsmiths Fine Art this morning!!!! Exciting!!!!

Congratulations you two, that's fantastic! Out of curiosity, when did you interview and how did you hear back from them? I'm still waiting to hear back but fear rejection at this point. 

21 hours ago, colores said:

Awesome! congrats once again! When was your interview? 

I had interview with UCLA first, and that was terrible.. because I'm an international student so my English ability isn't perfect so faculty should ask me to repeat some sentences several times. Even they told me I should learn English more. I thought I screwed up the interview becuse they seemed like they have thinking that I cannot catch up the classes. Interview was generally formal, I think.

And interview with Cranbrook was great. It was like Critique Class! Interviewer ask me many In-Depth questions. I was so happy she asked me following questions. My major is fine art so I hoped interviewer understands my background, philosophy and concept of artwork deeply!(On the other hand, there was no following questions at UCLA. I think it's because, maybe major is different. I applied to UCLA for Design Media Arts(I have BFA in Sculpture and BA in Art History))  Anyway, it was sooo good talking with interviewer of Cranbrook. I felt  Cranbrook is absolutely one of the best schools to develop fine artworks.

I got offer from Pratt($60,000 funding/Digital Imaging), UCLA(about $22,000 funding including TA offer/Design Media Arts) and Cranbrook(funding package didn't arrive yet/Sculpture). I cannot decide.. I think New York is so expensive to live although I got $60,000 funding.. If I keep doing my sculpture and installation art, I will go to Cranbrook. But I also hope to learn media art for broadening my field. Sorry, maybe I'm too much talker. I hope this reply answers your question.

+ If anyone can help me to decide school, please give me some advice.

Thank you:)

Edited by Nik2

Just got accepted from SVA today. I m wandering when will risd send out their decision after interview conducted? I haven’t hear from pratt COMD either, I start to think prolly they don’t do interview. Nothing from parsons either. At this time, I think if the school don’t send any message out, I believe it’s either a No or they are WIP.

Edited by fiowwn

4 hours ago, Arissss said:

I got an offer from them as well! Congrats!  Have you decided whether you want to take their offer? I  also interviewed Boston university and I really can't make my decisio.

Congrats! I am still waiting to hear from several schools and I need to figure out financial aid because I do not have a penny in savings to cover the remaining tuition + housing in Boston (I have 2 dogs so a roommate situation isn’t ideal for me, but even tiny studios in Boston are very expensive). But of my remaining schools to hear from, SMFA is definitely at the top so I’m determined to find a way to do it.

If we both end up in Boston we should meet up!

1 hour ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Congrats! I am still waiting to hear from several schools and I need to figure out financial aid because I do not have a penny in savings to cover the remaining tuition + housing in Boston (I have 2 dogs so a roommate situation isn’t ideal for me, but even tiny studios in Boston are very expensive). But of my remaining schools to hear from, SMFA is definitely at the top so I’m determined to find a way to do it.

If we both end up in Boston we should meet up!

You should look into Allston. It’s a pretty cheap neighborhood to live in, in Boston. It’s a bit grimy and mostly college kids,,  but it gets the job done. I went to BU for undergrad and a lot of people lived around there. There are even some houses you could share with others that could bring the price down. 

6 hours ago, Arissss said:

Have you heard back from Boston University already? 

4 hours ago, artsixteen said:

Congratulations you two, that's fantastic! Out of curiosity, when did you interview and how did you hear back from them? I'm still waiting to hear back but fear rejection at this point. 

I did my interview about a month ago and they let me know one and a half weeks after that. Best of luck to you! 

7 hours ago, artsixteen said:

I interviewed the painting program exactly a week ago, and five days later they informed me of the result. However, I also interviewed the sculpture department, but it's been a month still nothing heard back. 

6 hours ago, fiowwn said:

Just got accepted from SVA today. I m wandering when will risd send out their decision after interview conducted? I haven’t hear from pratt COMD either, I start to think prolly they don’t do interview. Nothing from parsons either. At this time, I think if the school don’t send any message out, I believe it’s either a No or they are WIP.

RISD GD is holding their last interviews this weekend and told me they would send offers afterward, so probably next week.

For people who have gotten into all/most of their programs - would you mind sharing any tips about how you approached your apps? I’m on the waitlist at a couple places and am thinking I may have to apply again next year. Would love any advice I can get, especially if you applied to any of the big schools and got interviews or have been accepted. Feel free to PM me if you don’t feel comfortable posting here. Thank u for considering ?

Is paying $22,000 a year for an MFA good/ the average? (That is half tuition and will also have a $10,000 a year stipend) -offer entails 10 hours TA

Realising in my position I didn't really think this whole studying in the U.S thing through enough .... $44,000 in debt if I can even miraculously get a loan from my country (UK). Feeling pretty gutted. I thought it was finally my time after non-stop rejections from everything I've applied to the past few years.

Any thoughts or fellow UK applicants?

1 minute ago, tee_lemon said:

Just answered my own question. Finally got my first acceptance!! So relieved ? Hope others are getting the good news too! 

Congrats! I get acceptance now! How was your interview? Who did you interview with?