MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

16 minutes ago, calmly waiting said:

One thing I've taken away from this process is that I would genuinely love to see what happens inside these selection committees. Additionally, I would love to be a part of a selection committee. I should maybe put that on my statement of purpose next year.

I read this on the reddit /r/gradadmissions sub and it really helped my perspective - from the chair of an admissions committee 

19 minutes ago, prodmod said:

I read this on the reddit /r/gradadmissions sub and it really helped my perspective - from the chair of an admissions committee 

I saw this over the weekend too and found it really interesting. 

Edited by Aatt

Hi- I reached out Tyler admissions to get estimated date/week that applicants will get their results. They told me the committees will send their decisions in next week or so, but it defers each department. So those people who applied Tyler, let’s cross finger...??

6 hours ago, yessssssss said:

Was this a campus visit for the incoming cohort? Do you know how many people are accepted for each area?

Yes. It’s a little different each year, but I believe Photography accepts only 2 people, Painting and Sculpture 3-4 each and Transmedia seems to accept about 2-3 people. 

21 minutes ago, Meaou said:

Yes. It’s a little different each year, but I believe Photography accepts only 2 people, Painting and Sculpture 3-4 each and Transmedia seems to accept about 2-3 people. 

Ok thanks! I’m waitlisted there for painting so just waiting to hear some news if a spot opens up

1 hour ago, ₍˄·͈༝·͈˄₎◞ ̑̑ said:

i made my decision yet i’m still freaking out! 

Where did you decide to go? 

Just got word from UO... They still haven’t made any decisions yet and according to the admissions office it won’t be until the end of the month.. Apparently there were “many excellent candidates this year.” Just keep breathing my friends!

Just now, premiumcontent said:

For Photo? Interesting. I wonder what the deadline is for accepted students to either accept/decline their offers?

UCLA should be April 15th *if* the offer includes financial support, according to the Council of Graduate Schools. Otherwise, I have no idea. 

6 hours ago, Baldie15 said:

I saw people were rejected and not sure if I should get my hopes up because I wasn’t rejected yet... hmmm... figured I would have been called, emailed or received a letter either way by now? Aaaargh! 

Which program/medium did you apply for?

40 minutes ago, MjamesPDX said:

Just got word from UO... They still haven’t made any decisions yet and according to the admissions office it won’t be until the end of the month.. Apparently there were “many excellent candidates this year.” Just keep breathing my friends!

That's crazy! I wonder if maybe they have already reached out to some candidates since they are usually so much earlier to contact and interview people in past years. I can't even consider them as an option anymore since my other confirmation deadlines are before the end of the month which is a bit frustrating. Has anyone heard from University of Maryland yet either? 

26 minutes ago, premiumcontent said:

For Photo? Interesting. I wonder what the deadline is for accepted students to either accept/decline their offers?

Yes, and April 15th sounds about right, they told me I would hear back by mid April at the latest. 

1 hour ago, artperson said:

That's crazy! I wonder if maybe they have already reached out to some candidates since they are usually so much earlier to contact and interview people in past years. I can't even consider them as an option anymore since my other confirmation deadlines are before the end of the month which is a bit frustrating. Has anyone heard from University of Maryland yet either? 

I know I feel you! They must’ve really gotten a huge applicant pool this year.. At this point I’m considering no news to be good news, honestly. She said that they would update our GradWeb profiles when they make a decision, which is kind of confusing because it makes me feel like they aren’t even holding interviews this year.. But who knows! I really considered this school to be under the radar but this is the first year the program is 100% funded for all admitted students, so that might explain the increase in applications. Let’s just all keep each other posted!

Is there anyone else who hasn’t heard a single thing from a school? I haven’t heard anything from two schools and I’m assuming rejection at this point.

Anyone else who hasn’t heard how are you interpreting the lack of news? 

Just now, tee_lemon said:

Is there anyone else who hasn’t heard a single thing from a school? I haven’t heard anything from two schools and I’m assuming rejection at this point.

I haven’t heard anything from 3 schools: RISD, VCU, or Tulane. I know everyone else already heard from VCU ages ago so I’m assuming it’s a rejection or waitlist or I did something wrong in my app. I checked my status and there is no change in any of them. Tulane sent out rejections to some people so not sure where I stand there. For RISD I haven’t seen any postings from anyone about the 2yr GD program, but I know they already did stuff for the 3yr so not sure where I stand there either, but I’m guessing it’s a rejection at this point. I already have a few acceptances though so I’m not too concerned about it. 

Where are u still waiting on? Do you have other acceptances? 

Just now, tee_lemon said:

I'm in the same situation. Depending on where you applied, I think it's pretty late. I would send a nice email to the department contact asking for an update.

Until I get an official rejection, I hold a small hope for an emailing telling me I've been wait listed. Unfortunately I think I was passed over. So, I'll just get busy and next year I'll adjust my approach. Or go to school to become an accountant or programmer.