Fall 2019 Applications

CherryDecaf

2 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Yeah. It seems like a great program but there are some issues that make me very wary of relying on it.

I would contact them and ask more specifics about it. I would hope that since it’s there for us as an option that it is effective. The NASW bebsite has some info on that and other options. Have you tried negotiating your scholorship? I have heard of people doing this. 

Just now, Capturedvitality said:

I would contact them and ask more specifics about it. I would hope that since it’s there for us as an option that it is effective. The NASW bebsite has some info on that and other options. Have you tried negotiating your scholorship? I have heard of people doing this. 

Contact whom? Sorry, I'm confused. And no I haven't but I don't have any other offers to use as leverage since Pitt was the only school I applied to this year. If anyone has any tips for me on how to ask for more scholarship money in this situation, I'd greatly appreciate it.

3 hours ago, eliseero said:

Hey all! Recently heard back from Univ Illinois-Chicago (only 3 days after I submitted my app-- surprised at the quick turnaround!!) and I was accepted to the fulltime program. They want a decision by 1/31, but the rest of my apps aren't even due before then, let alone hearing back from anywhere else! I asked for an extension and it sounds like basically no if you want the opportunity to apply for financial aid, which must be done after you confirm intent to attend and the final deadline is 2/15. Any thoughts on what to do from here?

Congratulations on your acceptance to UIC!  I was in a very similar situation, and actually decided not to enroll (since I had received better offers elsewhere.) However, when I called the admissions office to ask for an extension I was told that they could extend my timeline, but doing so could not guarantee I would be accepted in the incoming class. So far there are 90 people confirmed/120 total seats.  If UIC is one of your top choices, I would consider confirming the intent to enroll before there are no more seats in this class.  If you have/expect better or comparable offers, then you might be able to hold off.  The max financial aid is $4000 scholarship I believe, so it will make little difference more than likely. 

I was accepted into Fordham University’s Advanced Standing program! My application was complete on Jan. 7 - heard back within 16 days. 

My stats aren’t so great, so if anyone is worried just stay hopeful!! Still waiting to hear back from NYU. 

3 hours ago, nbm1031 said:

I was accepted into Fordham University’s Advanced Standing program! My application was complete on Jan. 7 - heard back within 16 days. 

My stats aren’t so great, so if anyone is worried just stay hopeful!! Still waiting to hear back from NYU. 

Congrats!

On 1/13/2019 at 5:58 PM, doctormelody said:

Yes! It's the only school I applied to this year. I actually moved to Pittsburgh essentially just for Pitt, haha. I was considering adding some more schools for a while, but at this point I think I just need to stick to my original plan. To be clear, I couldn't be more excited about the program, I'm just worried about money stuff. Hopefully I'll get a decent scholarship... I'm in the middle of doing my FAFSA right now and I'm so frustrated, haha. I don't remember it being this annoying last year...

do you know when we will find out about scholarships? it is supposedly guaranteed with priority applicants

Just now, mswclaire said:

do you know when we will find out about scholarships? it is supposedly guaranteed with priority applicants

For me I found out nine days after I was admitted on the ApplyYourself portal. The info was in my acceptance letter that came in the mail, along with the date needed to submit the enrollment deposit (March 31st for me, Idk if it’s the same for everyone). I found the offer very disappointing but they did keep their word as far as the priority deadline was concerned. I hope you and other applicants fare better than me.

14 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

For me I found out nine days after I was admitted on the ApplyYourself portal. The info was in my acceptance letter that came in the mail, along with the date needed to submit the enrollment deposit (March 31st for me, Idk if it’s the same for everyone). I found the offer very disappointing but they did keep their word as far as the priority deadline was concerned. I hope you and other applicants fare better than me.

sorry to hear that the offer was not great. My GPA was right at a 3.4 so I am guessing that my scholarship will be on the low end. Not sure how they determine it exactly. 

8 minutes ago, mswclaire said:

sorry to hear that the offer was not great. My GPA was right at a 3.4 so I am guessing that my scholarship will be on the low end. Not sure how they determine it exactly. 

When I spoke to someone in admissions this week they said it was determined based on an internal formula which takes GPA, years of experience in the field, Americorps service (?), and (weirdly, I thought, for a merit scholarship) whether you are in- or out-of-state. I only got 4,000 a year and my GPA is 3.5 so unless you have a ton of experience I honestly wouldn’t expect much but who knows, maybe this person’s info was wrong. They seemed super disengaged throughout our conversation and it left a bad taste in my mouth, tbh. I really hope you have better luck, though.

Edited by doctormelody

2 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

When I spoke to someone in admissions this week she said it was determined based on an internal formula which takes GPA, years of experience in the field, Americorps service (?), and (weirdly, I thought, for a merit scholarship) whether you are in- or out-of-state. I only got 4,000 a year and my GPA is 3.5 so unless you have a ton of experience I honestly wouldn’t expect much but who knows, maybe this person’s info was wrong. They seemed super disengaged throughout our conversation and it left a bad taste in my mouth, tbh. I really hope you have better luck, though.

interesting, i am out of state...not sure if that will help or hurt me if that formula is true. I haven't had a great experience with phone conversations with them either. It took me 4 days to realize i was accepted since i was waiting on an email to tell me about a status update. I am hoping to visit next week and get a more positive look at the school. I have heard great things. 

17 minutes ago, mswclaire said:

interesting, i am out of state...not sure if that will help or hurt me if that formula is true. I haven't had a great experience with phone conversations with them either. It took me 4 days to realize i was accepted since i was waiting on an email to tell me about a status update. I am hoping to visit next week and get a more positive look at the school. I have heard great things. 

Ah, I’m glad to know it’s not just me but I’m sorry you had that experience. Yeah, the program itself seems really solid and the Cathedral of Learning is beautiful. I just wish it weren’t so expensive. And yeah, I have no idea whether being out-or-state will help or hurt you, tbh. My guess is that they would give out-of-state students a little more in order to entice them to consider it, but that’s obviously pure conjecture.

Edited by doctormelody

9 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Ah, I’m glad to know it’s not just me but I’m sorry you had that experience. Yeah, the program itself seems really solid and the Cathedral of Learning is beautiful. I just wish it weren’t so expensive. And yeah, I have no idea whether being out-or-state will help or hurt you, tbh. My guess is that they would give out-of-state students a little more in order to entice them to consider it, but that’s obviously pure conjecture.

I've seen on past threads that they usually give out of state students enough to cancel out the additional out of state fees but usually not more than that. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of online vs. brick-and-mortar schools? I'm considering applying to some online programs (ASU, UCF, AND LSU) but I'm concerned that I will have a tough time competing for field placements with students from Pitt since Pitt is bound to have much better resources in the area. Tuition is also not THAT much cheaper (~30k vs. 38 with my scholarship), but if I went to an online program it might be easier to work while I am in school? Any and all opinions wanted!

Also, does anyone know how serious ASU is about the 240 hours of volunteer/work experience in the social services? I have some but definitely not 240 hours... 

Edited by doctormelody

5 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of online vs. brick-and-mortar schools? I'm considering applying to some online programs (ASU, UCF, AND LSU) but I'm concerned that I will have a tough time competing for field placements with students from Pitt since Pitt is bound to have much better resources in the area. Tuition is also not THAT much cheaper (~30k vs. 38 with my scholarship), but if I went to an online program it might be easier to work while I am in school? Any and all opinions wanted!

Also, does anyone know how serious ASU is about the 240 hours of volunteer/work experience in the social services? I have some but definitely not 240 hours... 

For me, I think going in person is important although everyone is different. for me, I like the support and sense of community I get from going through a process with others. If the $ is a deal breaker then I would start to reach out to places you may want to become involved with through field placement and ask if they have volunteer positions. That is a great way to get your foot in the door, show you are committed and regardless to make relationships with those in your community and learn. I volunteer at a crisis shelter 2x a week ( about 6 hours a week)  in addition to working at a substance abuse treatment facility full time. 

7 minutes ago, Capturedvitality said:

For me, I think going in person is important although everyone is different. for me, I like the support and sense of community I get from going through a process with others. If the $ is a deal breaker then I would start to reach out to places you may want to become involved with through field placement and ask if they have volunteer positions. That is a great way to get your foot in the door, show you are committed and regardless to make relationships with those in your community and learn. I volunteer at a crisis shelter 2x a week ( about 6 hours a week)  in addition to working at a substance abuse treatment facility full time. 

This is good advice, thank you. I would infinitely prefer to go in-person but the money aspect is causing me so much anxiety. 

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

This is good advice, thank you. I would infinitely prefer to go in-person but the money aspect is causing me so much anxiety. 

I think you have to determine how the anxiety over the cost will impact you during the program. If you think it will cause guilt/anxiety and that it will not ease then perhaps consider an online program. I know UCFs online program is excellent and I'm sure they work with you on placement as best as an in person program would. At the end of the day if you have a huge focus on the cost then you cannot focus on academics, internship, work, and self care. 

If I was in your position I would begin applying to online programs in case you cannot ease the anxiety of cost. Social work professors put a huge emphasis on self care and that is difficult to do if there is a constant anxiety (money) being held above your head. You want to be in the best position to learn, grow, and get as much out of the program as possible. 

4 minutes ago, a.s. said:

I think you have to determine how the anxiety over the cost will impact you during the program. If you think it will cause guilt/anxiety and that it will not ease then perhaps consider an online program. I know UCFs online program is excellent and I'm sure they work with you on placement as best as an in person program would. At the end of the day if you have a huge focus on the cost then you cannot focus on academics, internship, work, and self care. 

If I was in your position I would begin applying to online programs in case you cannot ease the anxiety of cost. Social work professors put a huge emphasis on self care and that is difficult to do if there is a constant anxiety (money) being held above your head. You want to be in the best position to learn, grow, and get as much out of the program as possible. 

Thank you so much for replying. This is a really good point also. I think I need to take a break from grad cafe for a few days for sanity's sake but I greatly appreciate you all putting up with me and my constant anxious questions, lol.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:34 AM, nbm1031 said:

Do you mind sharing your stats? I also applied Advanced Standing to Fordham and I'm worried because I also feel like my stats aren't that great..

I was accepted Into several MSW programs including NYU, Temple, and Rutgers. I am waiting to hear back from Stockton university. The field of social work does not bring in a lot of money, but my goal is to become a LCSW. I know NYU is known for their clinical program, but it would be about an hour to an hour and a half commute for me as well as 32,000 in tuition a year as i was awarded a 12,000 scholarship. I can live with my boyfriend, where Temple would be an hour commute as would Rutgers. I really want to go to NYU but am not sure if it is worth the money? 

7 hours ago, 18coffees said:

Do you mind sharing your stats? I also applied Advanced Standing to Fordham and I'm worried because I also feel like my stats aren't that great..

I don't mind at all. My cumulative GPA is 2.9 due to previously being an exercise science major and not caring about my classes/grades, but my social work GPA is a 4.0. 

On 1/26/2019 at 11:58 AM, doctormelody said:

Makes sense. 

I think that is true. I found out my scholarship today when i visited in person and I am out of state so it made it around in state cost.