Fall 2019 Applications

CherryDecaf

6 hours ago, Mentalhealthgirl1 said:

Congrats! What are your stats?!

Thank you! Double major in psychology and women's studies, 3.8 GPA. 2 years of answering crisis hotlines while in school, and postgrad I've been working as a sexual assault victim advocate for 1.5 years and counting. I also did 3 years of undergrad research and taught a weekly colloquium to freshman students for a semester. 

Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking on these forums for a couple weeks and figured it was time to contribute. I applied to University of Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Boston College, Boston University, University of Texas Austin, UC Berkeley, and Portland State. I’ve been accepted to NYU and University of Michigan so far. 

I’m a little nervous because NYU wants a deposit by the first week of February. From what I saw on the forums last year it seems like it’s common to ask for an extension but I’m scared to push it… can anyone speak to this?

20 minutes ago, sef817 said:

Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking on these forums for a couple weeks and figured it was time to contribute. I applied to University of Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Boston College, Boston University, University of Texas Austin, UC Berkeley, and Portland State. I’ve been accepted to NYU and University of Michigan so far. 

I’m a little nervous because NYU wants a deposit by the first week of February. From what I saw on the forums last year it seems like it’s common to ask for an extension but I’m scared to push it… can anyone speak to this?

When did you apply to NYU? 

@A.E.S Thank you! I will hopefully receive news soon! 

@miler95 Thank you! I'm so happy I got this far and had the chance to interview. I am in state. I'm actually only 30 minutes away from the school! I'm pretty familiar with Ann Arbor too. The interview was a little nerve-wracking but the questions were pretty straight forward. I did fumble on one question but I was very nervous and I'm sure they could tell. It's so scary to interview for something that could change your life. I'm only applying to one other school, a local school (Eastern Michigan University) because moving is not an option for me. 

16 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

Also congrats!

Thank you! I turned in my app on November 14 but one of my LORs took longer so the app wasn’t complete until November 29. I was accepted on December 13. 

44 minutes ago, sef817 said:

Thank you! I turned in my app on November 14 but one of my LORs took longer so the app wasn’t complete until November 29. I was accepted on December 13. 

Are you applying for the day program full time? What location? I just applied on Jan 9th so I have a bit to wait!

4 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

Are you applying for the day program full time? What location? I just applied on Jan 9th so I have a bit to wait!

Yes! The main campus. Good luck! I’ll be crossing my fingers for you :) 

Not strictly about applications but I just finished the FAFSA! So glad that’s done. Idk why but I always get so nervous with stuff like that where you basically have to swear upon pain of death that everything you’re saying is true and correct to the best of your knowledge. I would obviously never lie on a form like that but I’m always terrified that I made a mistake somewhere, it’s so annoying. Does anyone else have this?

Hi everyone. I’m a senior BSW student applying for the Advanced Standing tracking. Hopefully we can find each other in this forum and neurotically obsess over our app submissions lol

Edited by Yve_

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop obsessing about grad school? I sent an email to someone at Pitt today and they haven’t responded yet. I feel like I can’t even enjoy the weekend because I just want it to be Monday so I have a chance of getting a response. I check the mail multiple times a day hoping to see scholarship info (or just any info, really, the letter on the online portal was quite vague). I’m on here all the time. I check threads that aren’t even relevant to me because I’m just desperate for some kind of distraction. It’s getting to the point where it’s annoying my partner and interfering with my life but I just can’t seem to stop.

Hi @doctormelody. I have been in the same rut as you. This waiting process can be frustrating because in some way that email was more than just wanting a response. Everyone who has been brave enough to put themselves out there to these admissions committees are facing a threatened sense of self efficacy. We’re allowing others to judge our work and work ethic. Even possibly fearing that we may not be good enough, that we messed up somewhere in the application, or just worried about rejection. Which we can feel as someone judging our personhood. I just want to say in bold words: WE ARE MORE THAN OUR GRADES AND EXPERIENCES.

For me, I have been thinking a lot about why am I so worried. Because I know I can get into all of the schools I applied to - I just have to be patient and wait. The way I have been trying to ease some of this impatience is by watching YouTube or exercise. I’m currently in fieldwork so I’m looking for opportunities to do some process recordings before the start of the semester. Just keep busy and moderate your time on here. Try to dwindle the amount of time you spend on here and if you need to vent, come back and do so, just with self-control and moderation. 

I hope I was helpful. Please anyone add to the possible ways of moderating our time, I sure know I don’t have all the answers.

11 minutes ago, Yve_ said:

Hi @doctormelody. I have been in the same rut as you. This waiting process can be frustrating because in some way that email was more than just wanting a response. Everyone who has been brave enough to put themselves out there to these admissions committees are facing a threatened sense of self efficacy. We’re allowing others to judge our work and work ethic. Even possibly fearing that we may not be good enough, that we messed up somewhere in the application, or just worried about rejection. Which we can feel as someone judging our personhood. I just want to say in bold words: WE ARE MORE THAN OUR GRADES AND EXPERIENCES.

For me, I have been thinking a lot about why am I so worried. Because I know I can get into all of the schools I applied to - I just have to be patient and wait. The way I have been trying to ease some of this impatience is by watching YouTube or exercise. I’m currently in fieldwork so I’m looking for opportunities to do some process recordings before the start of the semester. Just keep busy and moderate your time on here. Try to dwindle the amount of time you spend on here and if you need to vent, come back and do so, just with self-control and moderation. 

I hope I was helpful. Please anyone add to the possible ways of moderating our time, I sure know I don’t have all the answers.

Thank you so much, this is really helpful. Honestly it helps to know just that others are or have been in the same boat, but when it gets to the point of re-reading threads I’ve already read ten times, I think maybe I need to take a step back. I also like what you said about self-efficacy and how we are all more than our grades/experiences/ etc. It’s so hard to remember sometimes, but it’s so important. Best of luck to you with all of your applications, and thanks again for responding.

Edited by doctormelody

Hey all! Recently heard back from Univ Illinois-Chicago (only 3 days after I submitted my app-- surprised at the quick turnaround!!) and I was accepted to the fulltime program. They want a decision by 1/31, but the rest of my apps aren't even due before then, let alone hearing back from anywhere else! I asked for an extension and it sounds like basically no if you want the opportunity to apply for financial aid, which must be done after you confirm intent to attend and the final deadline is 2/15. Any thoughts on what to do from here?

3 minutes ago, eliseero said:

Hey all! Recently heard back from Univ Illinois-Chicago (only 3 days after I submitted my app-- surprised at the quick turnaround!!) and I was accepted to the fulltime program. They want a decision by 1/31, but the rest of my apps aren't even due before then, let alone hearing back from anywhere else! I asked for an extension and it sounds like basically no if you want the opportunity to apply for financial aid, which must be done after you confirm intent to attend and the final deadline is 2/15. Any thoughts on what to do from here?

Man that is tough. What are the other schools you have applied for? I applied to 5 schools some 1.5 months ago and have heard nothing yet so that is crazy only 3 days. 

1 hour ago, Capturedvitality said:

Man that is tough. What are the other schools you have applied for? I applied to 5 schools some 1.5 months ago and have heard nothing yet so that is crazy only 3 days. 

I applied to Rutgers and SUNY Albany and am still working on my applications for Hunter, Syracuse, Case Western, and Univ Maryland-Baltimore. Yes 1.5+ months seems more like the timeline I would expect!

3 minutes ago, eliseero said:

I applied to Rutgers and SUNY Albany and am still working on my applications for Hunter, Syracuse, Case Western, and Univ Maryland-Baltimore. Yes 1.5+ months seems more like the timeline I would expect!

My cousin goes to U of MD for MSW not the Baltimore location but loves it. 

Good of luck on the rest of the schools!

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Does anyone know of online programs that offer scholarships? Or just cheaper MSW programs in general? Pitt is my first choice but they gave me so little money that I don't know if I can make this work. I'm so sad.

Have you looked at the public service loan forgiveness?