Fall 2019 Applications

CherryDecaf

On 1/9/2019 at 8:52 PM, Capturedvitality said:

For day time 2 year?  Apps weren’t due for another month! Congrats for you but wish I would of known! 

Yes, full time 2 year track. I wanted everything in at once so I wouldn't have to stress over it for long so I submitted all my applications around the Columbia deadline (12/1). I wasn't expecting to get an answer until after the deadline so it was a pleasant surprise! I honestly turned it all in early because it was just less stressful for me that way haha.

Edited by asr13b

On 1/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, asr13b said:

Just got accepted to NYU! I'm super excited but also now anxiously waiting for the scholarship application window to open, as even with the funding they offered me, there's a lot of tuition remaining. Does anyone know when those applications typically open up? Looking at last year's form, they didn't close until June which is a bit stressful to consider having to commit to a school without knowing how I'll fund it. 

1 hour ago, asr13b said:

Yes, full time 2 year track. I wanted everything in at once so I wouldn't have to stress over it for long so I submitted all my applications around the Columbia deadline (12/1). I wasn't expecting to get an answer until after the deadline so it was a pleasant surprise! I honestly turned it all in early because it was just less stressful for me that way haha.

Hahaha I hear ya! If I had the time I would have :) grats again!!!

Most of the schools I applied to said they won't be releasing any admissions info until March - that might be why the board seems a little slower at this time of the year.  I wish more places did rolling admissions, but I'm sure there are pros and cons of both.  It just sucks waiting so long to know how you are going to move on with your life!

24 minutes ago, miler95 said:

Most of the schools I applied to said they won't be releasing any admissions info until March - that might be why the board seems a little slower at this time of the year.  I wish more places did rolling admissions, but I'm sure there are pros and cons of both.  It just sucks waiting so long to know how you are going to move on with your life!

Makes sense. But yeah, it is frustrating for sure!

Hey everyone!! 

I am awaiting a decision from UM. They actually had me interview. I’m non traditional student with a lower gpa. Honestly, I’m shocked I even got an interview! I’m feeling very unsure about the interview.

But I received an email from my supervisor, one of my LORs, and she said she talked to someone from student services (who happened to be who interviewed me). She said the conversation was “promising” but I’m not sure how to take this news. They’re calling my recommenders so that could either be a good or bad sign. 

Thank you for reading my long, anxious post. You are all smart, strong, capable people and I hope you get into a progam that is a great fit for you with all the financial aid you can ask for! 

2 hours ago, MegXD said:

Hey everyone!! 

I am awaiting a decision from UM. They actually had me interview. I’m non traditional student with a lower gpa. Honestly, I’m shocked I even got an interview! I’m feeling very unsure about the interview.

But I received an email from my supervisor, one of my LORs, and she said she talked to someone from student services (who happened to be who interviewed me). She said the conversation was “promising” but I’m not sure how to take this news. They’re calling my recommenders so that could either be a good or bad sign. 

Thank you for reading my long, anxious post. You are all smart, strong, capable people and I hope you get into a progam that is a great fit for you with all the financial aid you can ask for! 

I think it's a good sign. They do an interview to give you a chance when there may be circumstances (non-traditional, lower GPA) that may need more explanation. It's reasonable to be nervous but if your recommenders were confident in you and you felt like you demonstrated your skills and potential well, I would try to see it as a good opportunity. Best of luck!  

8 hours ago, MegXD said:

Hey everyone!! 

What was the interview itself like?  Are you in state or did you do it through video?  I'm with @A.E.S on saying that an interview is a positive sign.  You basically went from a very low percentage chance to 50/50 in my eyes, depending on how the interview went and probably how well you wrote personal statements and explained your situation and how you would make sure that you could be successful at a graduate level.  University of Michigan is an amazing school so congratulations for making it to this point and best of luck!

On 1/9/2019 at 2:19 PM, asr13b said:

Just got accepted to NYU! I'm super excited but also now anxiously waiting for the scholarship application window to open, as even with the funding they offered me, there's a lot of tuition remaining. Does anyone know when those applications typically open up? Looking at last year's form, they didn't close until June which is a bit stressful to consider having to commit to a school without knowing how I'll fund it. 

Congrats! What are your stats?!

On 1/10/2019 at 5:28 PM, doctormelody said:

I was just accepted to the University of Pittsburgh! I'm so happy! 

Congrats! I also applied! I turned in my application on December 27th. I have exactly a 3.4 GPA so I qualify for the guaranteed admission but i am still for some reason nervous and I know I won't stop until I am holding an acceptance letter in my hand. How long did it take for you to hear back?

1 hour ago, mswclaire said:

Congrats! I also applied! I turned in my application on December 27th. I have exactly a 3.4 GPA so I qualify for the guaranteed admission but i am still for some reason nervous and I know I won't stop until I am holding an acceptance letter in my hand. How long did it take for you to hear back?

Thank you! I submitted the app on December 15th but it wasn’t complete until the 27th because that’s when my last recommendation was submitted. I got the notification that I was accepted on the ApplyYourself website on the 10th, so it was about two weeks. I was nervous too despite meeting the standards for guaranteed admission, so I get it. I hope you hear back soon!

Just quickly jumping into this thread! I am finishing up my BSW degree and will graduate in May. I have applied to GMU, UW Seattle, and Columbia. A little nervous because I am young and therefore have limited experience in comparison to other applicants, but if I don't get in this year - there is always next year!

44 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Thank you! I submitted the app on December 15th but it wasn’t complete until the 27th because that’s when my last recommendation was submitted. I got the notification that I was accepted on the ApplyYourself website on the 10th, so it was about two weeks. I was nervous too despite meeting the standards for guaranteed admission, so I get it. I hope you hear back soon!

Me too! Thank you! Is Pitt your first choice?

If anyone is looking for a Texas school or just hasn't considered it yet:  University of Texas - Arlington is ranked #34 for MSW programs in the nation, and they have an insanely quick application process.  I'll summarize but include the link to their page in case you wanted to read more.  Maybe not many of you are interested, but for those who are, this would be a fast application to a good school and save you from asking for more Letters of Recommendation and writing more essays.

1. Advanced Standing (BSW Students/Recent BSW Graduates) - if your Jr/Sr GPA is above 3.0 just pay the application fee and turn in your transcripts.  No LOR, no essays, no pain!

2. Non BSW (any major besides Social Work) - If your last 60 hours are above a 3.0, pay the fee and turn in your transcripts.  Same as above, no LOR, no essays!

Note: If you are between a 2.7 and 3.0 GPA you will have to take the GRE, get letters of recommendation, and submit a personal narrative.

https://www.uta.edu/ssw/academics/msw/admissions.php

59 minutes ago, mswclaire said:

Me too! Thank you! Is Pitt your first choice?

Yes! It's the only school I applied to this year. I actually moved to Pittsburgh essentially just for Pitt, haha. I was considering adding some more schools for a while, but at this point I think I just need to stick to my original plan. To be clear, I couldn't be more excited about the program, I'm just worried about money stuff. Hopefully I'll get a decent scholarship... I'm in the middle of doing my FAFSA right now and I'm so frustrated, haha. I don't remember it being this annoying last year...

Edited by doctormelody