Fall 2019 Applications

CherryDecaf

On 12/6/2018 at 8:07 PM, harpert1 said:

Hello, everyone!  I know that it's a bit early in the admissions cycle, but I recently submitted my application to Case Western and I started getting excited.  Hoping that we can share information about decisions and scholarships, and anxiety as time goes on! 

Hey! I recently got accepted to Case, have you heard anything yet? I'm kinda disappointed in the scholarship offer, Case Western is my number one choice but I don't think it will be worth all of the debt I would end up with. I also have to make my decision by January 15th which is way sooner than the other schools I've been accepted to so far. 

41 minutes ago, bloome said:

Hey! I recently got accepted to Case, have you heard anything yet? I'm kinda disappointed in the scholarship offer, Case Western is my number one choice but I don't think it will be worth all of the debt I would end up with. I also have to make my decision by January 15th which is way sooner than the other schools I've been accepted to so far. 

Hey, I know you were asking @harpert1 but that seems really early to me. Have you tried asking them for an extension? Also, do you mind sharing how much you were offered in scholarship? I'm considering adding Case to my list and I remember something last year about everyone being guaranteed at least 20k but I couldn't find anything about it on the website and didn't know if that was still being offered.

3 hours ago, bloome said:

@bloome Congratulations on your acceptance to Case!  This is my number one choice, too. I’m a bit surprised that they want a decision by January 15th; my deadline to accept enrollment is a little later I believe (maybe we applied at different times, and that’s why?) I would maybe reach out to them and see if they could extend the deadline as @doctormelody suggested, or maybe just pay the non-refundable fee with the intent to enroll (to keep this as an option) and later you could decide to not enroll if you received a better offer elsewhere.  

Edited by harpert1

@bloome My acceptance to Case also said I had to decide by January 15, but online my acceptance said I had until April 15. I emailed them asking for clarification and they said that the deadline is April 15!  I would email just to be sure, but I was told that the 1/15 deadline was a mistake  ?

On 1/2/2019 at 10:02 PM, doctormelody said:

Hey, I know you were asking @harpert1 but that seems really early to me. Have you tried asking them for an extension? Also, do you mind sharing how much you were offered in scholarship? I'm considering adding Case to my list and I remember something last year about everyone being guaranteed at least 20k but I couldn't find anything about it on the website and didn't know if that was still being offered.

I was offered $29,000 and $4,000 field scholarship. I'm still so torn since this is my dream school but I would still have to cover a ton out of pocket. I also saw someone post below that 1/15 was a mistake so I am definitely going to contact them and ask because that will make my life much much easier!!!!

On 1/3/2019 at 3:56 PM, cj1234 said:

@bloome My acceptance to Case also said I had to decide by January 15, but online my acceptance said I had until April 15. I emailed them asking for clarification and they said that the deadline is April 15!  I would email just to be sure, but I was told that the 1/15 deadline was a mistake  ?

wow this makes me feel a lot better! I think I will definitely reach out to them and ask myself. I thought only having like 3 weeks was a little extensive since I havent heard from 4/6 schools I've applied to yet.

1 hour ago, bloome said:

I was offered $29,000 and $4,000 field scholarship. I'm still so torn since this is my dream school but I would still have to cover a ton out of pocket. I also saw someone post below that 1/15 was a mistake so I am definitely going to contact them and ask because that will make my life much much easier!!!!

Dang, that’s pretty good though! Congratulations! Would you mind sharing stats at all?

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

Dang, that’s pretty good though! Congratulations! Would you mind sharing stats at all?

Yeah its so tough cuz it sounds like I did get a decent amount, tuition is just so high! sure! I graduated from Kent State with a double major in Biology and Medical Sociology. Gpa of 3.3, Soc major gpa of 4.0. I have three years of research in end of life/palliative care. I got a paid fellowship over the summer of 2018 to work with a professor on her prognosis awareness project. I presented my work at both NEOUSS at Oberlin and KSU's symposium. I also completed an internship within pediatric palliative care at the local children's hospital and continue to volunteer with their program to teach coping skills to children who have lost a parent/sibling/loved one. I know both my research professor and mentor from my internship most likely wrote me stellar recommendation letters. While my gpa is nothing amazing I know I've had lots of unique research/internship opportunities. I've also been working as a pharmacy technician for 3 years and I'm registered with the state board so that has also given me great experience in the medical field. I applied for the Health track at Case since I really wanna be hospital social worker. 

2 hours ago, bloome said:

Yeah its so tough cuz it sounds like I did get a decent amount, tuition is just so high! sure! I graduated from Kent State with a double major in Biology and Medical Sociology. Gpa of 3.3, Soc major gpa of 4.0. I have three years of research in end of life/palliative care. I got a paid fellowship over the summer of 2018 to work with a professor on her prognosis awareness project. I presented my work at both NEOUSS at Oberlin and KSU's symposium. I also completed an internship within pediatric palliative care at the local children's hospital and continue to volunteer with their program to teach coping skills to children who have lost a parent/sibling/loved one. I know both my research professor and mentor from my internship most likely wrote me stellar recommendation letters. While my gpa is nothing amazing I know I've had lots of unique research/internship opportunities. I've also been working as a pharmacy technician for 3 years and I'm registered with the state board so that has also given me great experience in the medical field. I applied for the Health track at Case since I really wanna be hospital social worker. 

Wow, you have an amazing background! I’m sure you’ll get great funding offers at other schools too! Just curious, did you apply for the Integrated Health track at Pitt?

20 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Wow, you have an amazing background! I’m sure you’ll get great funding offers at other schools too! Just curious, did you apply for the Integrated Health track at Pitt?

thank you!! yes i did!

1 hour ago, Emily15 said:

ME!!!! Let’s post when we get in places !

I plan on it! I’m a little sad at how dead this forum seems this year, it was a real comfort to me last year during the waiting game, haha. I guess I didn’t start really checking it until like late February though - maybe things will liven up around then.

Hi all! I started another thread about UMich in particular, but wanted to share the other schools I’m applying to as well so we can cheer each other on! I’m waiting to hear back from Hunter, Pittsburgh, SUNY Albany, and Boston University. Looking forward to hearing from others who applied to these schools too! 

Just got accepted to NYU! I'm super excited but also now anxiously waiting for the scholarship application window to open, as even with the funding they offered me, there's a lot of tuition remaining. Does anyone know when those applications typically open up? Looking at last year's form, they didn't close until June which is a bit stressful to consider having to commit to a school without knowing how I'll fund it. 

4 hours ago, asr13b said:

Just got accepted to NYU! I'm super excited but also now anxiously waiting for the scholarship application window to open, as even with the funding they offered me, there's a lot of tuition remaining. Does anyone know when those applications typically open up? Looking at last year's form, they didn't close until June which is a bit stressful to consider having to commit to a school without knowing how I'll fund it. 

When did you apply. I’m turning mine in tonight for the Jan  11 deadline 

3 minutes ago, Capturedvitality said:

When did you apply. I’m turning mine in tonight for the Jan  11 deadline 

I submitted everything on Dec 17th, so I heard back in less than a month!

just for anyone else like me who was accepted to case western and worried about the January 15th deadline, I also got a confirmation that it was in error and the true deadline is April 15th! 

On 1/8/2019 at 3:00 PM, ML878 said:

Hi all! I started another thread about UMich in particular, but wanted to share the other schools I’m applying to as well so we can cheer each other on! I’m waiting to hear back from Hunter, Pittsburgh, SUNY Albany, and Boston University. Looking forward to hearing from others who applied to these schools too! 

I also applied to Pitt! I know it's only been a week since they reopened after winter break but I'm already so anxious to hear back, haha. Here's the thread I made for Pitt this year if you or any one else wants to talk about Pitt specifically!

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/110999-university-of-pittsburgh-msw-fall-2019/

2 hours ago, doctormelody said:

I also applied to Pitt! I know it's only been a week since they reopened after winter break but I'm already so anxious to hear back, haha. Here's the thread I made for Pitt this year if you or any one else wants to talk about Pitt specifically!

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/110999-university-of-pittsburgh-msw-fall-2019/

Ha, I really want to hear back already too! I qualified for their guaranteed admissions but I’d love to be able to see a fin aid package just so I can see the numbers I’m up against. Your other thread about fear of debt definitely resonates—I want to be pragmatic with where I eventually end up, but it’s tough to have to potentially turn down really good schools !

19 minutes ago, ML878 said:

Ha, I really want to hear back already too! I qualified for their guaranteed admissions but I’d love to be able to see a fin aid package just so I can see the numbers I’m up against. Your other thread about fear of debt definitely resonates—I want to be pragmatic with where I eventually end up, but it’s tough to have to potentially turn down really good schools !

Same! I keep envisioning nightmare scenarios where they only give me like 2k a year... I know that probably won’t happen, but I worry about it nevertheless. And yeah, I had to turn down Columbia and Tulane last year and I was really sad about it. I tried to be smarter this year and only applied to Pitt because I’m committed to taking on as little debt as possible, so I really hope it pays off.

Edited by doctormelody

Hi all! I figured I'd join in on this thread- I've applied to U of M (Dec 1st deadline) and Wayne State University for the advanced standing programs. I'm very anxiously waiting to hear back from UofM and just waiting for my school to send my official transcripts to Wayne State. Good luck to everyone!