NIH PREP 2019-2020 Applicants unite

nęm0

I applied to Harvard Research Scholar Initiative and PREP programs at UC Davis, Johns Hopkins University, University of Chicago, University of Michigan, Brown University, Case Western, and Tufts. I'm eager to hear back from places soon! 

It seems like we all applied to Harvard RSI. Oooof there is about to be a lot of sad girls and boys in the chat this upcoming month. They only have 6 spots which are unfortunate because some schools have 8-10. I am happy to see the competition though, good luck yall.

I am applying to Northwestern, University of Washington, UNC, Johns Hopkins, University of Pennsylvania, Brown, Yale, Arizona State, University of Chicago, University of Michigan, Tufts, and University of Maryland. Fingers crossed!

On 12/21/2018 at 6:57 AM, neurooooo said:

Hi guys. Any of you know how competitive PREP programs are? Anyone mind sharing their stats?

PREP is quite competitive. Expect the acceptance rates to be around and less than 10%. 

Edited by dejosco
too much info

On 12/21/2018 at 6:57 AM, neurooooo said:

Hi guys. Any of you know how competitive PREP programs are? Anyone mind sharing their stats?

I'll PM you. 

7 hours ago, failing_upward said:

So if you get an interview, is that a good sign? What is their typical acceptance from those? I noticed there were only a handful of interview slots available in the first place. 

Yes, of course! If you get an interview you’re one step closer to being admitted. If you do well in your interview, it’s very unlikely you won’t get in. 

Where are you interviewing for PREP? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 7:55 PM, NK Advocate said:

Life is beautiful! Don't let whatever happens in this process bring you down! I am not checking this website until March 31st hopefully I will read about great updates on where people are going. GO HAVE FUN!

*mic drop*

Any luck?

15 hours ago, dejosco said:

Any luck?

Yea I got an exit interview at work.... that counts right?

Also for you wonderful people that are getting interviews if you get accepted and accept the offer please ask for your application to be removed from the other schools. It would help speed up the process.

So far I've been accepted into Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine PREP and I just accepted an interview offer from UC Davis PREP. Hoping to hear back from others in the coming weeks.

2 hours ago, NK Advocate said:

when do you have to give case a reply? Congrats dude! please leave us some interviews :)

Thanks man! I have until Marrch 5th to give an answer. 

2 hours ago, neuron9708 said:

Hi everyone! I'm working on my personal statement for NIH at Brown and Yale - does anyone have any tips for it? Things to focus on? Not sure how specific I should be about research interests + past experience

I think the key thing is just ensuring that you give a full, fleshed out explanation of your research experience. 

Okay, Back not trying to look at this website until March 31st. We already got some good news going, which is great for those who don't have anything yet. Be patient and don't beat yourself up too much. This is only but a small part of your life (mostly speaking to myself here).

ONWARD TO VICTORY!! ( or not tbh things are looking quite dire)

3 hours ago, neuron9708 said:

Thanks @dejosco! Anyone else interested in computational neuroscience research? Not sure what the opportunities for that look like re post bacc programs

Check out PREP at Northwestern University. It’s solely neuroscience. 

17 hours ago, ucsluggo said:

Update: Back on 2/21, I got an interview for UCD prep

Me too! How exciting. Do you know how many other individuals they are interviewing?

I applied to Case, Brown, Yale, Harvard, Chicago, Hopkins, UPenn, Mount Sinai, Einstein, UNC, and Mayo. I am an MD/PhD applicant which definitely adds a hurdle since these programs only accept one if ANY MD/PhD interested candidate per cohort. I was extended an invitation to join Case Western's prep. It's uneasy having to make a decision without having heard back from the other institutions. I wish they all released their decisions at the same time. Does anyone have any thoughts on Case's program? For those who didn't apply, why not? Any thoughts are much appreciated.