Jump to content
harpert1

UChicago, MSW 2019

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!  I also did, in fact, receive a physical acceptance letter today from UChicago, and it was a very exciting feeling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else hear back about FAFSA-based scholarship funding? I did yesterday and wasn't thrilled with the offer. Ouch. :( I wonder what the typical range is for this kind of funding.

Edited by zoetrope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, zoetrope said:

Did anyone else hear back about FAFSA-based scholarship funding? I did yesterday and wasn't thrilled with the offer. Ouch. :( I wonder what the typical range is for this kind of funding.

Yeah, I got mine back the other day. I’m receiving roughly $6,000, and I am an independent filer with a low income, so I can’t imagine that it goes much higher than that. 

I’ve thought a lot about it, and I’ve pretty much accepted the reality that I’ll need 50-60,000 in loans in order to obtain my MSW from UC. It’s certainly not ideal, but considering I want to go into macro-level policy & research-oriented social work, I believe that the reputation of my educational background will play a role in my ability to advance in that field.

I can’t speak for clinical and micro-level students, but at least in my case, I’ve reflected on this a lot and ultimately decided that the debt is worth it in order to attend such a highly-ranked school and in order to have a successful future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, lunary said:

Yeah, I got mine back the other day. I’m receiving roughly $6,000, and I am an independent filer with a low income, so I can’t imagine that it goes much higher than that. 

I’ve thought a lot about it, and I’ve pretty much accepted the reality that I’ll need 50-60,000 in loans in order to obtain my MSW from UC. It’s certainly not ideal, but considering I want to go into macro-level policy & research-oriented social work, I believe that the reputation of my educational background will play a role in my ability to advance in that field.

I can’t speak for clinical and micro-level students, but at least in my case, I’ve reflected on this a lot and ultimately decided that the debt is worth it in order to attend such a highly-ranked school and in order to have a successful future. 

I haven't yet received my official documentation, but an email from the admissions coordinator has informed me that I didn't receive *any* additional need-based aid. Which is definitely a bummer and a concern. I am working to see if I can get my 2018 tax return considered as well as/instead of my 2017 one because I made far less money (about $15k less) this past year than I did the year before due to a switch from the corporate sector to a non-profit job. Blaaaah

Honestly not sure if I'll be able to swing the finances for this degree or not. I am not particularly interested in taking out huge amounts of loans, especially when I am fairly sure that I'm going to stick to clinical/micro practice. I agree that the pedigree would be helpful for policy work, but not sure if it's the right choice for me. 

Best of luck all! Here's to hoping we can shake the money trees!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All! Has anyone who applied for the Jan.15th deadline heard back yet?  I know it's a bit early, but I'm so nervous! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dawn30 said:

Hi All! Has anyone who applied for the Jan.15th deadline heard back yet?  I know it's a bit early, but I'm so nervous! 

I'm in the same boat! Still waiting to hear back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've submitted everything by the 15th deadline. I feel so anxious especially knowing we should hear of a decision within the next couple of weeks. Anyone else waiting?? 

Has anyone been accepted already? If so how much in merit scholarships have you received? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting. However, today I received a graduate housing webinar email. It said that a student ID was required to sign up, and that the student should reply requesting one if they don’t have one yet. Good omen? Office error? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dawn30 said:

Still waiting. However, today I received a graduate housing webinar email. It said that a student ID was required to sign up, and that the student should reply requesting one if they don’t have one yet. Good omen? Office error? 

I got the same thing yesterday.

It's from the graduate school office and not the specific program (SSA)! Maybe it's just general outreach to all applicants/students associated with the UChicagoGRAD? 

Note: I'm still waiting to hear back, I applied 1/15. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dawn30 said:

Congratulations!

I’m hoping I can swing it financially! 

Congratulations to you too!!

Yeah, same here, I got a fair award (Dean's Leadership scholarship), but it's not enough to cover everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! 

I was wondering if any of you have any general insight about the School of Social Administration (AM program) at UChicago? Or if you can answer some of my questions based on your experience: 

Why did you or why didn't you apply or consider UChicago?

What do you know about SSA? 

General impressions of SSA?

Any drawbacks?
 

Anything helps! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 6:22 AM, MSWcandidate2019 said:

Hi all! I got waitlisted at UChicago and am still holding out hope. I got in to UPenn and am still waiting to hear back from UNC. Any advice or stories about waitlisted candidates at UChicago? When do they usually get back to those students regarding a final decision?

Just bumping this back up in the hopes that someone has advice--anyone else get waitlisted? Any advice for waitlisted candidates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MSWcandidate2019 said:

Just bumping this back up in the hopes that someone has advice--anyone else get waitlisted? Any advice for waitlisted candidates?

Still waiting to hear back! 

Do you mind sharing your general stats like undergrad major, approx GPA, and experiences? 

I went to UIC, Psych major, and approx 3.7 gpa. I don't have much experiences besides being an undergrad research assistant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 12:00 PM, MSW2019!! said:

Hi all! 

I was wondering if any of you have any general insight about the School of Social Administration (AM program) at UChicago? Or if you can answer some of my questions based on your experience: 

Why did you or why didn't you apply or consider UChicago?

What do you know about SSA? 

General impressions of SSA?

Any drawbacks?
 

Anything helps! :) 

Hello! 

I applied to UChicago because I liked how their program focuses on macro social work with the social administration concentration.  I’ve seen where lots of alumni have been able to transition into policy, government, and nonprofit jobs from this program at SSA, though I no little about the clinical side of the school.  A huge piece at SSA that I’ve heard is being generally geared toward social justice issues and making learning applicable in the broader Chicago community.  Depending on your career goals, if pursuing the social admin route, SSA could be a great place.  SSA offered me the least money of all my offers but I chose to attend due to the quality of the program, professors, curriculum, and school reputation for macro.  Also, Hyde Park is a very diverse, vibrant community that contributes to the learning environment as well.  I know this isn’t a ton of information, but it’s all I know from talking to students and alum. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, harpert1 said:

Hello! 

I applied to UChicago because I liked how their program focuses on macro social work with the social administration concentration.  I’ve seen where lots of alumni have been able to transition into policy, government, and nonprofit jobs from this program at SSA, though I no little about the clinical side of the school.  A huge piece at SSA that I’ve heard is being generally geared toward social justice issues and making learning applicable in the broader Chicago community.  Depending on your career goals, if pursuing the social admin route, SSA could be a great place.  SSA offered me the least money of all my offers but I chose to attend due to the quality of the program, professors, curriculum, and school reputation for macro.  Also, Hyde Park is a very diverse, vibrant community that contributes to the learning environment as well.  I know this isn’t a ton of information, but it’s all I know from talking to students and alum. :) 

Thanks for your input! :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 4:41 PM, 19MSW19 said:

Still waiting to hear back! 

Do you mind sharing your general stats like undergrad major, approx GPA, and experiences? 

I went to UIC, Psych major, and approx 3.7 gpa. I don't have much experiences besides being an undergrad research assistant. 

Undergrad major was History and Islamic Studies  with a 3.5 GPA from a small liberal arts school. I had multiple internships throughout undergrad, most notably in a refugee housing center overseas. Graduated in 2017 and have worked in Operations for almost 2 years for a mid-size philanthropy that works across multiple issue areas. Lots of exposure to Criminal Justice field through this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 12:16 AM, a.s. said:

My portal no longer has the option to check decision documents. Anyone else with this issue? 

Hi, may I ask what happened? I have the same thing now....! Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.