UChicago, MSW 2019

harpert1

1 hour ago, MSWgirl2019 said:
  1. @zoetrope Yes, these packages include federal need-based scholarships and work study as well so don't worry! After you have submitted the FAFSA, then UChicago will update you will in a few weeks what your new financial package will be. Then you can assess how much you will have to take out in loans, which will also be offered as part of the federal aid. Hopefully, the government will be able to offer you a sizable amount on top of whatever UChicago already gave you. 
  2. Their website explains that there are three types of federal aid offered:
    1. Loans—borrowed money for college or career school; you must repay your loans, with interest"
    2. Work-study—a work program through which you earn money to help you pay for school
    3. Grants—financial aid that doesn't have to be repaid (unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund) 

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/type

Ah, thank you! That's reassuring. I'm determined to make it work, but wasn't sure if there was the possibility of more need-based scholarships, or if that was already incorporated in the initial scholarship offer that came with admission. I'll probably start researching external scholarships too, hopefully too many deadlines haven't passed yet... thanks again!

6 hours ago, UrbanMidwest said:

Another Chicagoan. What neighborhood/side if you don't mind me asking? I was born on the SS, then moved to the North Side, then back to SS (SW specifically).

Another Chicagoan indeed! Fortunately I’m not in this polar vortex with frost quakes, but if you are please stay warm!  I was born on the SS, grew up in the Chatham area and then moved toward Hyde Park on Woodlawn (so I’d be able to walk to UChicago).

18 hours ago, harpert1 said:

Another Chicagoan indeed! Fortunately I’m not in this polar vortex with frost quakes, but if you are please stay warm!  I was born on the SS, grew up in the Chatham area and then moved toward Hyde Park on Woodlawn (so I’d be able to walk to UChicago).

OT (so I apologize for thread jacking): Yea, experienced the extreme cold (today was beautiful compared to Wednesday and Thursday). Hyde Park, eh? I have close family friends in Hyde Park and a godmother in Bridgeport. Chatham's a nice SS neighborhood; I'm actually considering buying a bungalow house there.

I received my physical acceptance letter the other day, and it said that this year was the largest and most competitive applicant pool that SSA has ever had. Congrats to everyone else who got in! I look forward to hopefully meeting anyone else who decides to attend.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:03 AM, UrbanMidwest said:

OT (so I apologize for thread jacking): Yea, experienced the extreme cold (today was beautiful compared to Wednesday and Thursday). Hyde Park, eh? I have close family friends in Hyde Park and a godmother in Bridgeport. Chatham's a nice SS neighborhood; I'm actually considering buying a bungalow house there.

Nice; Bridgeport is a solid place as well.  There are some nice bungalows in Chatham, though I’m probably going to get a place in the Jackson Park area (which is really up-and-coming, especially with its proximity to UChicago and the Obama Foundation). If you’d like to talk more in-depth, I’m happy to message you privately here to not derail OT too much. 

1 hour ago, lunary said:

I received my physical acceptance letter the other day, and it said that this year was the largest and most competitive applicant pool that SSA has ever had. Congrats to everyone else who got in! I look forward to hopefully meeting anyone else who decides to attend.

Many congratulations on your acceptance!!!  It’s always something special — for me at least — about having a physical acceptance letter in your hands, so I’ll patiently await mine. 

On 2/2/2019 at 1:41 AM, MSWgirl2019 said:
  1. @zoetrope Yes, these packages include federal need-based scholarships and work study as well so don't worry! After you have submitted the FAFSA, then UChicago will update you will in a few weeks what your new financial package will be. Then you can assess how much you will have to take out in loans, which will also be offered as part of the federal aid. Hopefully, the government will be able to offer you a sizable amount on top of whatever UChicago already gave you. 
  2. Their website explains that there are three types of federal aid offered:
    1. Loans—borrowed money for college or career school; you must repay your loans, with interest"
    2. Work-study—a work program through which you earn money to help you pay for school
    3. Grants—financial aid that doesn't have to be repaid (unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund) 

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/type

Have you received the financial aid package update? I’m still waiting on it. I wanted to know if there is a chance for me to get more in scholarships. I really need it.

I'm curious: How much scholarship money did those of you who were accepted receive? I'm curious what the range looks like this year and whether it would be reasonable to try to negotiate for more. I was given the Dean's Distinguished Leadership Award ($10,000 per year), as well as a $1,500 service award. 

I'll likely accept my offer of admission, so I'll look forward to meeting those of you who choose to attend!

45 minutes ago, aet777 said:

I'm curious: How much scholarship money did those of you who were accepted receive? I'm curious what the range looks like this year and whether it would be reasonable to try to negotiate for more. I was given the Dean's Distinguished Leadership Award ($10,000 per year), as well as a $1,500 service award. 

I'll likely accept my offer of admission, so I'll look forward to meeting those of you who choose to attend!

I received $28,000 for the leadership scholarship. I need more though. The fact that the internship takes so much of our time, it is tough to hold any job.

1 hour ago, Crichmond said:

I received $28,000 for the leadership scholarship. I need more though. The fact that the internship takes so much of our time, it is tough to hold any job.

Congrats on being accepted! Is that amount total or per year?

1 hour ago, aet777 said:

Congrats on being accepted! Is that amount total or per year?

I believe that the amount is renewable for the next year as long as the student remains in good academic standing. 

3 hours ago, aet777 said:

Just now, harpert1 said:

I believe that the amount is renewable for the next year as long as the student remains in good academic standing. 

Congrats on being accepted, especially with solid scholarships!  Very much might see you both in the fall at SSA. 

4 hours ago, aet777 said:

I received the Dean's Distinguished Leadership Award in the amount of 10k too.

Did anyone else get the physical acceptance letter in the mail? I saw one person in this thread mention getting one. I haven't yet, just the portal acceptance and emails.

20 hours ago, zoetrope said:

Did anyone else get the physical acceptance letter in the mail? I saw one person in this thread mention getting one. I haven't yet, just the portal acceptance and emails.

I have not received a physical letter yet either; I’m wondering if it was a different program or something.  I live in Chicago so  if it was mailed, it would have arrive same day. So I’m wondering if they will mail everyone a letter.  However, I did receive a nice greeting card from SSA. 

Edited by harpert1

17 hours ago, MSWgirl2019 said:

Hey all! Does anyone have any tips about how to negotiate for more funding? Who should we speak to? I feel fortunate that I received a good scholarship (20k), but it still is going to steep me into major debt. ? 

What do you mean by “negotiate additional funding”? I’ve seen a few other comments elsewhere suggesting that you might be able to convince them to raise your scholarship amounts, but I’m honestly not sure where people are getting that information. Scholarships are determined by merit, financial need, and the information contained in your application, so I don’t know that it’s as easy as calling someone and asking them to just give you more. 

19 hours ago, MSWgirl2019 said:

Hey all! Does anyone have any tips about how to negotiate for more funding? Who should we speak to? I feel fortunate that I received a good scholarship (20k), but it still is going to steep me into major debt. ? 

Hi there! I applied to schools last cycle and you absolutely can ask for more funding. I emailed the I believe the dean or assistant dean of admissions but I also know that others emailed the person who signed their admission email! I was able to secure $5,900 more in funding. 

1 hour ago, HannahRae said:

Hi there! I applied to schools last cycle and you absolutely can ask for more funding. I emailed the I believe the dean or assistant dean of admissions but I also know that others emailed the person who signed their admission email! I was able to secure $5,900 more in funding. 

This was so helpful! Thank you so much! That's so uplifting to hear. I know a lot of other students last year also said that they had success with negotiations, but I wasn't sure how to begin that process. I've PMed you with some additional questions.