Why I am putting myself through this again? I do not have an answer, but I am here. Anyone else out there going through the portfolio/statement of purpose process, still? My first application goes out next week (University of Arizona). I am beyond nervous. How do you decide when everything is "done"? When is anything ever done, haha

This is round two for me, too, and I 100% feel you on the wondering why I'm putting myself through this another time. Last March ended with me in the deepest mental pit of my life, so there's a part of me that is like "girl, are you for real with this shit? again? really?" but I want this, I've got the correct dosage of antidepressants to get me through it, and weed's legal in Massachusetts so I'm way better equipped to handle this wackass process! Bring it on, y'all!

I've got my statement of purpose in another tab, and my Arizona application in yet another tab, so we're on the same page! Just remember that the sample is like 95% of the application. Just get your statement to the point that it's not a liability and you're good. It doesn't need to be a Pulitzer-winning work of unimaginable genius, and it shouldn't demand all your stress and anxiety like the sample (kind of rightly) does. I've sort of smushed together all the articles I've found online and followed their guidelines, but I'm definitely still sitting here staring my SOP down anyway. I can't take my own advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently applied to University of Arizona as well! I definitely feel you on nothing ever being "done." I can't stop myself from constantly rereading and editing - it must be a writer thing? ;) The advice I've been given with the SOP is that you should first and foremost answer the questions on the given prompt. Once you've answered them to the fullest extent (while still below word count) you can call it. Or another something I try to do is get another pair of eyes on it and mark it up based on their feedback and make those changes. Sometimes that gives me a sense of finality. :)

Thanks for posting btw! I've been prepping for this cycle since February and I can't remember how it feels to not be anxious about this stuff. It's good to know I'm not alone :)

Oh my god. I was waitlisted at NAU last year and I misread the email-- I thought it just said we'd be contacted if a spot opened up and completely missed the part where it said to respond by April 15 if we wanted to remain on the waitlist. ? I'm reapplying and hoping this time I get in! There aren't really any other programs I'm interested in. 

Edited by Writer M

Wow, seems like we're all in a similar boat. I'm kind of missing the waiting process. After I sent my app out for the University of Arizona it's getting harder to dredge through the rest. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us. Hopefully, we all find a program (with good funding). At this point I just want to know where I'm going (if anywhere) 

• 2 weeks later...

Will this be the place where people post where they applied and document responses as they come in? I applied for Poetry programs at University of Minnesota, Stony Brook Southampton, Ohio University, University of Houston, University of North Carolina - Wilmington, University of Maryland,  and Virginia Commonwealth University. So far, I have an interview with Stony Brook on the 17th. and haven't heard anything from anyone else.

I applied to Ole Miss and Syracuse, and I expect to get either a phase II notification or be shunned by Ole Miss this week (based on previous app cycles). FYI, my other apps were to Texas, Vanderbilt, Brown, Michigan, Iowa, Notre Dame, Hollins, Emerson, Portland St., and Montana. Good luck to all.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:30 AM, OnBeingKenn said:

Is your OSU Ohio state? People in MFA Draft ‘19 on Facebook have started hearing back I believe. 

Have you heard of anyone being rejected from Ohio State?

This was my first round of applications! I only applied to four programs, as my bank couldn't afford much more. If I don't get accepted this round, I'll probably apply to those four again and add a few more. 

I submitted for JHU, Vanderbilt, Cornell & Wisconsin-Madison! They're all at the top of my list, and definitely a reach, but I figured it was worth a shot. According to previous years, acceptances for those schools at least go out first (around mid-late Feb) and most of their rejections are sent out in the mid-March time frame. 

Good luck to everyone! :)