Fall 2019 Counseling Psych PhD Applicants

futcounspsych

Hello everyone! 

The other forum was overwhelmingly large and I wanted to start one for folks applying to counseling psychology Ph.D. programs. 

I'll keep people posted if I hear back with interviews or rejections :(

Applied: 

Boston University 

Boston College 

Northeastern

Univ of Minnesota 

Univ of Maryland 

Thanks for starting this thread ! I applied to counseling psych programs at Southern Miss, Texas Womans, Nebraska, Central Arkansas, Auburn, and Northern Arizona. Fingers crossed we will have some interviews to post about soon! 

Yas. I applied to lots of counseling programs. I see good things in our future. Seems that it should be at least one more week for interviews to start pouring in. Sending good vibes to y'all!

I'm a fan of BU but didn't end up applying cause they only have child/adolescent and sports psych tracks -- I'm more interested in adult or generalist training.

Edited by Jung Boy

10 minutes ago, scmarti2 said:

Just got an email invitation from SUNY Albany for a prelim phone interview - has anyone done a PhD program phone interview before? Any insight to the questions that may be asked?

Congrats!  I haven't done a phone interview, so unfortunately don't have any insight.  But I also applied to SUNY Albany.  Who is your POI?

2 minutes ago, topsailpsych said:

Congrats!  I haven't done a phone interview, so unfortunately don't have any insight.  But I also applied to SUNY Albany.  Who is your POI?

Thanks! POI initials JM

49 minutes ago, scmarti2 said:

Just got an email invitation from SUNY Albany for a prelim phone interview - has anyone done a PhD program phone interview before? Any insight to the questions that may be asked?

for mine they asked me to elaborate on prior research (what methods it used), counseling experiences, and teaching experience.

they also asked what I look for in a mentor, why X school, why counseling psych, and what type of career I envision myself in. also be prepared to discuss how you plan to add to their existing work or how you can contribute to their lab 

after that, I had the opportunity to ask my own questions 

best of luck! You got this 

52 minutes ago, mm2234 said:

Has anyone else here heard back from the University of Oregon, University of Florida, University of Tennessee, Knoxville or Arizona State counseling psych programs?

Someone on the results page said they got an interview invite from U Oregon, but it was a personal email from their POI. Two others also got an invite (maybe from the same POI?) Hoping that doesn't mean all interview invites have gone out...

On 12/12/2018 at 4:09 PM, sassyyetclassy said:

got a preliminary video interview from UCSB and an invitation to interview day at U of Tennessee Knoxville!! 

Congrats! I also applied to UCSB so I was wondering if they send out all of the interview invitations at the same time or just the preliminary Skype interviews first. Trying to stay positive!

Man, some of my applications aren’t even due yet. I have one due today (Fordham) and another due beginning of January. I applied to:

UCSB

University of Denver - but I already got an email saying they didn’t accept me for PhD, but asked if I wanted to be considered for the master’s program.

UT Austin - I go to school here rn and work in my POI’s lab already so fingers crossed

Uniformed Services University 

Fordham

Palo Alto University

and then my back up is the masters program at Texas State since I wouldn’t have to move far.

this whole process has been so long and drawn out I just want to be doonneee.

1 hour ago, cepl said:

Congrats! I also applied to UCSB so I was wondering if they send out all of the interview invitations at the same time or just the preliminary Skype interviews first. Trying to stay positive!

Yeah I think last year someone said that they got a Skype interview for a program and didn’t get an invite to interview day whereas someone didn’t get a Skype interview and still got an invite to interview day so I think there’s definitely still hope!

best of luck to you! 

On 12/18/2018 at 8:28 AM, Psych603 said:

Just finished my SUNY Albany phone interview - my POI said applicants will be given invites to in-person interviews by the end of the week.

Good luck!! I just had my phone interview as well, but my program said they will give out in-person invites in Janurary... the waiting anxiety is so real.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:55 PM, mm2234 said:

Has anyone else here heard back from the University of Oregon, University of Florida, University of Tennessee, Knoxville or Arizona State counseling psych programs?

Heard from UTK. Still waiting for UF though. 

2 hours ago, Lucashobbes said:

For the person who received the interview from UT-Austin, can you pm the initials of your POI? was it a generic email or was it from your POI????

interested here at well

Me too please!  Thank you and congrats!